It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surviving An EMP Attack: The Only Way To Prepare For It!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 03:54 AM
link   
reply to post by spartacus699

I am a bit skeptical or that one. those bags have megaohms of resistance. they do a good job of bleeding the "shock" off of you before you touch the stuff inside, but have to high of resistance to stop any radio waves. But tin foil should work fine. I actually used a cardboard box covered in tinfoil as a poor mans Faraday cage to make sensitive measurements in the city near cell phone towers.

A proper Faraday cage, which I have worked in, has two layers of copper screen with several hundred volts DC potential difference on the screens. Just like the screen on your microwave oven, frequencies lower than the hole size can not get through the screen. iI have no idea how high the frequency of an EMP can be, but solid tin foil covering should stop anything. (If the radio power was strong enough to get through, you would be microwave cooked and it would not make any difference if the electronics survived)

The theory all comes from the fact that E field can not travel through a conductive sphere. And there is something called "skin effect" you can Google if you are really interested.

BTW this is the origin of the tin foil hat. Unfortunately, to work, you need a tin foil jump suit. There is an interesting study done by some kids at MIT that found the mechanical dimensions of a tin foil hat would actually focus microwaves on the center of your brain. Now, that chick in the movie "Gold Finger," on the other hand...

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Oleman

I'd be interested to know the frequency spread of an EMP. As best as I could figure out when putting together the video was in the lower end of the radio spectrum. It makes sense as the atmosphere would attenuate anything higher. Even the higher end, like microwaves would attenuate before the "radio" portion of the spectrum.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Kukri

I agree with buying books, but I would never burn them.
The information found within is much more valuable than I am in some circumstances.
It truly bothers me to think of all of the conquering armies throughout history that have burned cities and their libraries and all of their wealth of knowledge.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   

g146541
reply to post by Kukri

I agree with buying books, but I would never burn them.
The information found within is much more valuable than I am in some circumstances.
It truly bothers me to think of all of the conquering armies throughout history that have burned cities and their libraries and all of their wealth of knowledge.

You're right g! Far too much knowledge has been lost for the egos of others.

I was merely being facetious. Books are far too valuable to waste ( except Harlequin Romances) and there's always other things available if you are desperate for warmth

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   

benrl

Kukri
reply to post by benrl

Or you could buy some books. At least you could use those to start a fire if you get desperate.

Sure as a back up.

But I could hold the entire libraries worth of info on a flashdrive though,

few good survival books are always a good idea though.

Let's hope we never need to use either. Cheers.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 10:39 PM
link   

yeaok
reply to post by Kukri

let the fun begin!

My idea of fun is sitting in the pub drinking pints and slamming shots with my friends. I'd like to keep it that way.

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Somebody told me that your microwave oven acts as a Faraday cage????? Does it? Apparently a microwave oven survives a power surge too????

Rainbows
Jane

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 05:50 AM
link   

angelchemuel
Somebody told me that your microwave oven acts as a Faraday cage????? Does it? Apparently a microwave oven survives a power surge too????

Rainbows
Jane

What is in the oven may survive but the oven is connected to the mains so it would not likely survive, ie, it would no longer function. Of course every situation will be different, there are so many variables. You never know what will survive and what won't.

P

posted on Nov, 12 2013 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by angelchemuel

Your microwave does have EM Shielding (in the form of a cage) to protect the user from the microwaves generated by the magnetron but the Microwaves circuitry would be fried by a large enough EMP as the components sit outside of this.

If you are near enough to a Nuclear event derived EMP you really wont be worrying about your survival PDF's on your phone.

Faraday cages are easy to make and most file servers used in commercial environments (i.e those housed in data centres) would probably survive an EM event given that the majority of DC's now boast Faraday shielding as standard.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join