Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Al Gore Blasts NSA's 'Crimes Against the Constitution'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
"Edward Snowden has revealed evidence of what appears to be crimes against the Constitution of the United States." - Al Gore

What an interesting turn of events, and not an insignificant turn at that! A big surprise that Al Gore, one of the most progressive liberals in America comes out against the treacherous democrats and literally does a "one eighty." His change of heart was most likely prompted by the "Snowden Affair." And I strongly suspect that this is occurring because he finally "sees the light,'' and is beginning to understand the worthiness of persons (whistle-blowers, i.e.) such as Edward Snowden.

Now I suppose all you guardians of the Obama administration are going to come out screeching up the thread with accusations of - "Traitor, Traitor" - against Al Gores awakening to reality via the Snowden disclosures. Be my guest. I'm looking forward to hearing from you. ............Bravo Al Gore.

Al Gore Blasts NSA's 'Crimes Against the Constitution'
By John Johnson, Newser Staff Posted Nov 6, 2013 11:37 AM CST

He predicts NSA will be forced to rein in 'absurd' surveillance practices

(Newser) – Al Gore is definitely not among those buying the line that US surveillance practices are above-aboard and business as usual. Among the words he used to describe the methods unveiled by Edward Snowden in a speech last night in Canada: "absurd," outrageous," "crimes against the Constitution," and "completely unacceptable," reports the Canadian Press via O Canada.com. And “I say that as someone who was a member of the National Security Council working in the White House and getting daily briefings from the CIA."

But the former VP thinks things will change given the national and international outrage that has ensued: “I think they will have to pull this back,” he said at Montreal's McGill University. “I think you will see a reining in.” Gore also repeated a phrase he has previously used to describe how modern businesses pry into the lives of customers and potential customers: "We have a stalker economy," he said.

edit on 6-11-2013 by XionZap because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   
I look forward to the day when politicians do the right thing because it is the right thing to do.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   

caseman1967
I look forward to the day when politicians do the right thing because it is the right thing to do.

I look forward to the day when we make it worth their effort.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 05:20 PM
link   
He sounds like a hypocrite to me. Am I really gonna believe all of a sudden Gore is a great guy because he says one thing I can agree with. Nah, have to do a bit better than that Al.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by XionZap

Please understand that not all progressives are Democrats, and that not all Progressives are in love with Obama. I didn't vote for him. I don't like his policies.

Al Gore is to be commended for speaking the truth. Anyone that states otherwise is being partisan, whether they are a Democrat OR a Republican, or they are perfectly complacent with the NSA's offenses.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Hmm.. Interesting. I wonder if Al Gore is thinking about 2016, on his own or team up with Hillary? Maybe giving himself some early "props"?

Other than that, I can't think of any other reason why he would have any interest in interjecting himself into the NSA issues, especially with Dems as the current administration, with stepping on toes and all..

Or..It could be the opposite, and he has no interest in going to politics again. I find that to be much less likely, though.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I wouldnt trust Al Gore for a second...dont forget that he lied in his docufilm about the global warming...
He is no different then the rest....
edit on 6-11-2013 by CryonicAngel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   

caseman1967

For any politician to "do the right thing" is meaningless unless the thing done is in accordance with the Constitution and the Bill of Rights, which is what the oath of office compels all politicians to do, and to which they have a moral and political obligation to abide by. Otherwise "doing the right thing" is purely subjective, and carries no more moral weight than does the original line from the movie from which it was taken. Politically (and morally) speaking - what's right for one isn't necessarily right for another - hence the importance of the guidance and wisdom of the Founding Fathers.

edit on 6-11-2013 by XionZap because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Now I suppose all you guardians of the Obama administration are going to come out screeching up the thread with accusations of - "Traitor, Traitor" - against Al Gores awakening to reality via the Snowden disclosures. Be my guest. I'm looking forward to hearing from you. ............Bravo Al Gore.

reply to post by XionZap

How is this just a liberal thing when there have been both liberals and republicans declaring Snowden a traitor. Both Dick Cheney & John McCain, both republicans came out declaring Snowden was a traitor. Your post sounds like you're using Gore's support for Snowden as a means to attack the Obama administration. Not that I'm a fan.

I personally think both parties are guilty for attacking Snowden as a traitor instead of supporting him for being a whistle blower. If Obama would ever back-up his government transparency promise, he would have pardoned Snowden a long time ago and came out supporting him. Instead he's aligning himself with the same type of secrets, involving the U.S. in middle east conflicts, and using the Patriot Act as a way to justify spying on citizens, just like the previous Bush administration.

There has been no attempt at government transparency. trampling on constitutional rights, nor foreign policies since the Bush administration. Both parties are one of the same.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Al Gore said this? The inventor of the internets?? Please hold while I try to process all of this...
edit on 6-11-2013 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by BardingTheBard

We shouldn't have to make it worth their efforts, only because it is their job to the right thing.... I say that the reward for doing their job is that they get to keep their job. Hopefully Gore will be the one who decides that enough is enough and start to do something to maybe change the direction of our broken country if its not to late.
But who knows until we actually see some kind of change.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

caseman1967

BardingTheBard
I look forward to the day when we make it worth their effort.

JHumm
We shouldn't have to make it worth their efforts, only because it is their job to the right thing.... I say that the reward for doing their job is that they get to keep their job. Hopefully Gore will be the one who decides that enough is enough and start to do something to maybe change the direction of our broken country if its not to late.
But who knows until we actually see some kind of change.

Before politicians exist... we exist.

Before the job exists... we exist.

Before someone is given the job of "handling" a problem... we "created" a problem.

WE are here before any politician, government job, public "problem", etc.

Our politicians are doing "right" in the same way someone trying to get the right answers on a test so they can move up the ladder is doing "right".

When WE change the test WE change the answers given.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   
Well with foreign countries steaming mad over Snowden's whistling - it was only a matter of time one of the more prominent political puppets was selected to show outrage! After all, the government has to appear as though they care, and are just as outraged as their foreign allies.

Now that the cat is out of the bag - they have to compromise. Run interference, pacify the public. After all, they still want Snowden's head on a stick. I imagine further down the road that young man will be receiving a presidential pardon. Likely not from this administration. But right now it's still too soon because the worms are still squirming on the hook. They are taking a beating and some politician has to do damage control. Mark my words - next to fall into the role of apologesists and outrage will be the Clinton's!

They will demand oversight, answers, and revisions - and salvage what they can. Damage control. Ha ha ... good!

CdT

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 03:40 AM
link   
reply to post by CirqueDeTruth

Good point.

It's just disgusting to listen to our government complain about another country's lack of human rights, declaring someone guilty without due process, corruption, censoring the news media, police brutality, invading and occupying sovereign countries, spying on it citizens, killing innocent civilians overseas, supporting dictators and influencing elections, yet the U.S. is doing the same exact thing. It's sad when it starts sounding like i'm talking about the old Soviet Union but it's actually the "good ole USA". We have lost our way, and it's going to take the citizens of the U.S. to rise up and say enough is enough.
edit on 7-11-2013 by WeRpeons because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 04:18 AM
link   

XionZap
A big surprise that Al Gore, one of the most progressive liberals in America comes out against the treacherous democrats and literally does a "one eighty." His change of heart was most likely prompted by the "Snowden Affair." And I strongly suspect that this is occurring because he finally "sees the light,''

No, it's because "turning against NSA" is the new fad, and Al Gore does anything to follow the latest fad to gain more fame.

Sure, three-letters agencies have dirty closets, and for some people it's really fun to have the "shocking truth" about NSA. But we must remember that the "truth" is like a tool, it can be used for ANYTHING... from honest reporting all the way to blackmail, including reporting for more public acceptance (this "it's good for my (Al Gore's) image" thing).

edit on 7-11-2013 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 04:28 AM
link   
reply to post by swanne

But he spoke out at the very start............"Edward Snowden has revealed evidence of what appears to be crimes against the Constitution of the United States." - Al Gore

That remark was uttered at the beginning of the "Snowden Affair."

The info in the OP is more recent. He came out against the activities of the NSA when no one else in his party dared to speak up, so lets allow credit where its due - his actions here are in defense of liberty - plain and simple.
edit on 7-11-2013 by XionZap because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by XionZap

You may be right, of course. I was just expressing my personal opinion.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by XionZap

... the former VP thinks things will change given the national and international outrage that has ensued: “I think they will have to pull this back,” he said at Montreal's McGill University. “I think you will see a reining in.” Gore also repeated a phrase he has previously used to describe how modern businesses pry into the lives of customers and potential customers: "We have a stalker economy," he said.

Not quite sure that constitutes a 'blast' but such a comment in public does carry some weight.

Al Gore gets a positive check for this... from someone who hasn't had one to offer him in a long, long, long time.

Just hope it was an honest comment on the subject.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Funny how people change. Or at least how they appear to change.

Gore and his ex-wife led a very long and very public crusade against the first amendment in the 90's and he's never been a friend of the 2nd but here he is putting his foot down for the 4th.

I guess he's one of those fair-weather rights guys. Only the rights he likes when he likes them.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   

thisguyrighthere

I guess he's one of those fair-weather rights guys. Only the rights he likes when he likes them.

Not even that. It would be nice if there was at least enough wholesome goodness in his being to have at least one favorite right that he would unabashedly stick up for no matter the circumstances. I mean, even if a person cannot be 100% consistent, I do make allowances for some inconsistency in a human mind. We are, after all, only human. But politicians are much different. And liberals are even worse.

Instead, this is more likely a ploy to gain political favor amongst those few lefties who even care about the 4th. These people all have dark, empty caves where they should have morals and ethics. They fill them with whatever is popular today.
edit on 7-11-2013 by BrianFlanders because: (no reason given)

new topics

<<   2 >>

join