It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

XBox One or PS 4...or Steambox...or Alienware x51...

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Painterz
Custom built PC is the way to go. Both the Xbone and the PS4 are basically mid-range PCs, running mid-range PC architecture, in windows-style environments.

For the cost of a new console you can easily get yourself a decent mid-range gaming PC, and then enjoy a vast catalogue of games that cost a fraction of what the new console games will cost.

No, for $399, you could never build a PC that will out do PS4. Feel free to build one(online), i have tried it, it will suck in performance.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I have my PC which I use for gaming, and also my music and regular internet. It's been great so far. I'll keep updating it time to time.

And as soon as I can I'm going to get my hands on a PS4.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   

RomaSempre
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

I think the entry level x51 is about $699. It goes up from there. So yeah, it cost more but is it worth it in the long run?

Not worth it in the long run at all. You will have to constantly upgrade it, incurring high costs down the road. Not to mention that gaming is developed with the current-gen consoles in mind, anyway, so you'll rarely be able to use the full potential of that brand new hardware you just pimped your box with.

With a console, you have to buy one every six or seven years and not worry about it. Besides, if I gamed on my PC, I'd NEVER get any work done.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by RomaSempre

Nope. When it comes to games the PC always wins. Plenty of more options.
Firepiston

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by FirePiston

Of course PC will win. Its is not just for games.

But why do you think Console make crazy amount of money?

They have exclusive games, PC gets scrap game. How many developers out there solely making games for PC? even Blizzard and other groups started making console games.

That is where the money at.

No need to worry about software issues or virus or other things installed "lagging" your gaming performance, not to mention portable.

No matter how good a PC will be, it will never beat a console on gaming.. console is pretty much a PC without that added stuff comes with PC(and also much cheaper), and game developers use console as base to make games, not PC, so compatibility wise.. even with high end cards and boards, it might not work like it was intended.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
I've an Alienware pc.

M17xR3 and I've had it a couple of years now and it's a monster!!

Even the new games I can run in full resolution with full graphics settings with no visable slowdown!

I would go for the Alienware personally.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by FoosM

PS4 will be backwards compatible after a update expected by January.Xbone will not be.

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

I spent 500 quid on my PC about 4 years back and it still runs every game I have on high setting....
I bought the last xbox and ps and sold them not soon after.
Plus one name one game.

Star citizen.
edit on 10-11-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Also after a little research you can build a gaming PC that will run all games max settings for the same price as a new console.
edit on 10-11-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

The steam box while a good idea on paper will not be able to compete with either consoles or PC's. In fact you may as well get a PC as it will technically be a downgraded games only PC anyways, they are trying to do a cross between the two but it does not work like that. While powerhouses the top of the line Gaming PC's technically blow consoles out of the water, yet there marketing and game development windows are small and its why you get few games, generally withing the span of 2 or three years you got a game which would be able and use all that power but by then your old gaming PC will become obsolete.

That and game makers and companies are finally getting smart. I mean why spend all the effort and $$ in creating a game which will have a small time window and will only reach the market for a few core and hardcore fans that can run it. Which is why I can think of a bunch of good console games, yet can only think of a few good PC games in the time life of a console which is about 6 to 9 years. And in that whole area of time you would have to upgrade your PC a bunch of times just to play the games you want on it. And now a days its just smarter for them to make games cross platform and for the wider audience were it will sell more.

Its simple really, in a constantly changing tech dynamic world PC just change to much sometimes in the course of months for developers to really get something going or put that much resources behind it only to have it come down a year or so down the line, that not only is your tech and game engine outdated but you will need to scrap it or start all over, and even then only a few will have the requirements to play your game, and even then PC are running with little choices other then the massive power and graphics which it will be able to put out. In a ways its basically overkill as with a little tweaking you can make most games run, and run well, on less powerful technical machines such as consoles. So while PC games will always be king in the pure brute power side, the development side will have to always guess on the market, the time windows, and even if there game will sell to more then to just a few people who can afford to buy all the latest graphics cards, and other requirements, which can lead up to more then twice as much as a console would cost.

And the steam box, in my opinion there going to shoot themselfs in the foot, if they can get game developers behind it, maybe it will have a few years, but beyond that it will be no point to it even if it can be upgraded because you can just get a PC that it will do all that and more. There are a bunch of games which were supposed to come out for this current crop of of consoles which got scraped, most of them simply because there development windows were taking to long some since when the PS3 came out, some have have been in and out of the development for 6 years, and are just on the back burner.

I expect that most of those that got scraped or pushed back will be one day coming out on the PS4 or the X-box one, even on the PC. And though not technically as powerful as PC's, with the current crop of consoles coming out, and the technical leveling out of the playing field which will make developing games that much more faster and easier, as seeing they know what there working with, and there market, and the fact that they dont have to worry about different system performances as they would on PC's. I expect that in the lifetime of the up and coming consoles you will see a lot of games coming out.

And while PC will always have that one game which is so much more powerful, shiny, and graphicy, then anything on the consoles. Well frankly that is its market, and even then you will only see those games coming out once every 3 to 4 years, and will likely just be eye candy, but in that time on consoles game companies will be able to put out a whole bunch of games, which they would in now way be able to put out on PC's, and seeing as the newer consoles are more user friendly in terms of development tech, and as the technology involved is pretty much the same across all platforms. I suspect you will see a lot of cross platform games which will be on both consoles and PCs, and both have there edges, superiority, and flaws. And yes PCs as gaming machines do have there flaws much more then I said above. Ultimately in a way things just balance themselfs out, and everybody has there niche which they cater to.

edit on 3pmSundaypm102013f0pmSun, 10 Nov 2013 15:59:53 -0600 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Cuervo

So many peasants like this in here. It's all because they're too ignorant to make a build. There's nothing on consoles that will top oculus rift for one. Two, if you build your system right, you'll stand on top of the coming consoles for their entire life (considering they are ridiculously low spec....can't even handle 1080p 60 fps at launch FFS, LOL).

If you're that unwilling to learn how to build a PC and you have the disposable income, I guess Alienware couldn't hurt...just don't admit who made your shrine, haha.

edit on 10-11-2013 by finitedualities because: sp

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

"Its simple really, in a constantly changing tech dynamic world PC just change to much sometimes in the course of months"

My God, so much text wasted on ignorance. How many times can it be stated to the peasants here that an 8800GT/Dual Core STILL RUNS 360/PS3 PORTS AT THE PATHETIC -720p/-25fps standard that those consoles have had for 7 years??? Ermagerd, tech knowledge so OP. Upgrades so scary mommy! That's my excuse for still gaming like a child!

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   

0bserver1

I would recommend Alienware because next year the Oculus Rift consumer version comes out and that will be the best gaming experience we've long be waiting for.
That you want to plug on your PC and it will not soon be available for xbox and playstation
edit on 0b09America/ChicagoWed, 06 Nov 2013 17:02:09 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoWed, 06 Nov 2013 17:02:09 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

Don't forget that the PS4 is going to have it's own version of virtual reality, which will rival that oculus rift.... So really you can't use that to justify using the PC. Believe me Sony is very tech savvy so I expect their version to be just as good maybe even better?

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jheated5

You're joking, yes? You've obviously never tried one of the dev kits, or you wouldn't be so confident about someone being able to rip it off. It's a monumental leap in home VR tech, and not one that a tech dinosaur like Sony will be able to replicate without major infringement...

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jheated5

yeah I've seen sony's first virtual reality system and it's way behind the Oculus rift.
Even the helmet didn't fit well ..Aaaand it costs 1300.- and Oculus costs around 300.- so you can buy three more for your friends as well .

More game developers are joining and writing for oculus rift and they are working on positioning trackers so if you were in a simulator and wanted to lean over your craft to look down it would be possible it also going to be equipped with HD display for sharper images..

Sony HMZ-T3
edit on 0b36America/ChicagoSun, 10 Nov 2013 17:38:36 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoSun, 10 Nov 2013 17:38:36 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 11:34 PM
link   
reply to post by finitedualities

My God, so much text wasted on ignorance. How many times can it be stated to the peasants here that an 8800GT/Dual Core STILL RUNS 360/PS3 PORTS AT THE PATHETIC -720p/-25fps standard that those consoles have had for 7 years??? Ermagerd, tech knowledge so OP. Upgrades so scary mommy! That's my excuse for still gaming like a child!

Pesants? Ermagerd? Ignorance? What are you talking about dude?

1080p and higher you would not notice a difference or make any real change unless you have a TV 50'in or bigger, on smaller screens while it will give the appearance of making it more clear, its not really that, its more sharper for sure but using 1080p on anything smaller then 50 inch screen while cool is kind of pointless, and I think on a screen 30 inch and smaller there is practically little difference between 720p and 1080p, or the difference that exists none would notice while playing a game. The rest it just depends on the game in questions, most console to PC ports have had years to upgrade things such as resolution and everything not to mention that they have more power.

And even with all that they do a crappy ass job at it. Most gaming PC just cater to the latest and coolest device people market, in many instances especially in games its like using a sledgehammer to hammer in a nail. A bit overdone and pointless, especially seeing that the PC game market has been running dry. Now tell me what was the latest games out there which would blow my mind? Because for the PC I cant think of one, and most of the ones that are coming out are also coming out on the new consoles. But hey I suppose you all must justify spending all that $$$ on something that is just a bit on the lame side.

Also the new consoles coming out support and can do 4k resolutions though I doubt any game developers will do it as its just not worth it, and it would take up way to much space, and time in creating all the detail and all for something most people would not even notice, for movies on the blue ray yes. But for games not anytime soon. There is even talk of virtual reality, which to me is just a gimmick now a days or even in the future, I looked up that oculus rift thing your talking about, while cool, I would not consider it virtual reality. And like the motion detectors every console had now its probably not going to sell well, and the games they play on seems to be just tacked on. You may as well get really close face first to your TV and wear some headphones. However as the tech grows, it may be the thing in the future as it picks up just like the motion sensor games did. But in all, for now from what I seen it looks like a gimmick, and truly anything short of implanting a wire directly into your cerebral cortex ala matrix style is kind of just meh, and I would not really consider it being virtual reality.

In general most people who play games dont even notice such things as resolutions or frame rate while playing games, pretty much the same way you dont notice the thousands of details around you and everywhere when you drive your car. There are people/programers and artists game designers who spend sometimes months and months or years on some level background, or some details in a game, of which a player of that game would pass by it without noticing it at all in a second.

And yes those graphic cards could do and overdue what the ps3, but that is because it and they came out a few years after the PS3 came out. And even then its still running games which have been outdated on the PS3 and older systems anyways. I mean what is really your point? It can also run old supernintendo games, but hey been there done that years ago. I mean name one game that really would use all that capacity your talking about? For the PC I really cant think of one that would make me go "wow that really is awesome" not a one, and sorry but having a bit better framerate and resolution on some game which is years old does not really do it for me, nor does it justify dropping hundreds more dollars for it.
edit on 11pmSundaypm102013f0pmSun, 10 Nov 2013 23:36:30 -0600 by galadofwarthethird because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 10 2013 @ 11:45 PM
link   

finitedualities
reply to post by Cuervo

So many peasants like this in here. It's all because they're too ignorant to make a build. There's nothing on consoles that will top oculus rift for one. Two, if you build your system right, you'll stand on top of the coming consoles for their entire life (considering they are ridiculously low spec....can't even handle 1080p 60 fps at launch FFS, LOL).

If you're that unwilling to learn how to build a PC and you have the disposable income, I guess Alienware couldn't hurt...just don't admit who made your shrine, haha.

edit on 10-11-2013 by finitedualities because: sp

Honestly, the culture that comes along with PC "leet" gamers is what turns me off the most. I'd prefer to keep my PC for work and my console for games.

There is something about a dedicated system that really appeals to many and that's why it will never go away.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   
At the end of the day people are different and will go for what they like best and these wars will not change anyones minds.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by galadofwarthethird

Such a big wall of text full of nothing, rofl. The quality of your response is summed up by your statement on 4k gaming. The fact that you even think the new consoles could run Farmville at those resolutions shouldn't surprise me. If you knew how badly you were getting ripped off on cost of hardware, we wouldn't be having this discussion...
edit on 11-11-2013 by finitedualities because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by finitedualities

Find me a PC Build for $399 that will top PS4 and ill be sold. No?

Yeah.

Sorry to say, PC gaming is a dying breed, and hardcore PC games are dead. Oculus Rift is no where near to be perfected and if it does it will soon be ported over to Console games or console companies will make their own version of it because of the population demand.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join