It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

XBox One or PS 4...or Steambox...or Alienware x51...

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
The future of gaming is about to get murky with all the choices of platforms becoming available. For months we've all heard about XBox One vs PS 4. But now there's a couple more players coming into the mix...

Valve is set to release the Steambox next year. It's basically a small gaming PC running their own Operating System (based on Linux). There will be varying level of performance and it will be built with off-the-shelf components. They have their own game controller and, of course, you'll be able to download everything through Steam.

But why stop there? The Alienware x51 is a small (about the size of a PS 3) gaming PC. But unlike the Steambox it is a full blown PC. It runs Windows 7 or 8, comes with a 1 TB Disk, and depending on how much you want to spend it can have different amounts of RAM and/or Graphics cards. Being a PC you can always use Steam and with their Big Picture mode you can connect it to a TV and use your game controller.

Personally I'm thinking long and hard about the x51. PC graphics have always been better than console and there's always the modding aspect of games that isn't available to their console counterparts. Is there any reason to cosider a console anymore?

Thoughts ATS?

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
reply to post by RomaSempre

but how much is the x51?

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

I think the entry level x51 is about $699. It goes up from there. So yeah, it cost more but is it worth it in the long run?

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

The Steam OS is the only thing that will be Steam Branded. The hardware is going to be sourced to multiple different manufacturers and Steam itself won't be doing hardware.

The SteamOS is a FULL Featured OS. It will include most of the features and functions found within Windows and Gave hopes that software developers will start releasing apps for it like Firefox etc in the new year.

It's ALWAYS better to purchase a stand alone PC regardless however, just because of ease of upgrade and software availability.

Don't buy another console, it's entirely worthless as the SteamOS and boxes will end up dominating that market in a very short amount of time. I won't be surprised to see the major console manufacturers not release any other hardware for the next 10 years or ever.

Just my 2 cents.

~Tenth

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Im not a big console guy... but I do own a ps3, and for the games I play on it, its worth it. But thats because I'm a bit of a sucker for red dead redemption and think that game is worth a damn console!

And yes RDR2 is coming out for the ps4... and judging by what happened in the past, not for the pc I bet

So... ideally you should have a hardcore pc AND a console, BUT in the real world where the money doesnt grow on trees and pcs are updated every freakin 6 months or less sometimes... and consoles have this stupid life-span of what... 5 years? or more... and quite frankly pcs do have these awesome graphics but the difference is not that huge... if you play fps, you can play an fps with a mouse on a console...

Depends on what you value really. Check the games you like the most. If you find that most of them are on consoles and pcs (50-50) I personally would buy a console - its cheaper, and the experience is the same for a better value for money. Unless you play a lot of RTS and mmos consoles are always worth it... but if rts and mmos are your thing, then pc all the way.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   
For me, its PS4/Wii U. PC does not get the 1st party games I want. Ask yourself what you want to play most. PS4 is pretty much a top of the line PC, in terms of power, but that wont last long, HOWEVER it has the games I want to play, and Nintendo too. You could do Alienware, but most of the games are going to be on PS4 anyway, Unless you have to have a game set at MAX settings for it to engage you, I would go with PS4. I mean if all you are going to do is play COD, stick with PC, but if you want amazing games like The Last Of Us 2, your going to have to pick up a PS4.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

kurthall
For me, its PS4/Wii U. PC does not get the 1st party games I want. Ask yourself what you want to play most. PS4 is pretty much a top of the line PC, in terms of power, but that wont last long, HOWEVER it has the games I want to play, and Nintendo too. You could do Alienware, but most of the games are going to be on PS4 anyway, Unless you have to have a game set at MAX settings for it to engage you, I would go with PS4. I mean if all you are going to do is play COD, stick with PC, but if you want amazing games like The Last Of Us 2, your going to have to pick up a PS4.

Actually the hardware in the PS4 is already obsolete by todays PC standards.
I built my computer a couple years ago, and never looked back. As of right now, the hardware in the PS4 is lower quality than my pc components that are about 2 years old.

What ever console you decide on, just know that it's already obsolete. Console can't compete with PC. It never could, and it never will.

The real question is if a ps4 is worth buying just for a couple games. Keep in mind there are lots of PC games that you can't play on the ps4 too.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by kurthall

I also play COD on the ps3 with a mouse...

The only thing I play on the pc is ... well... Rome 2 Total War and one mmo or 2... ok none right now, but preparing for the Elder Scrolls Online

Oh yea... and I play those games which I dont think are worth to buy...

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by rangerdanger

Really really good games?

Not that many.

And not as many as the amount of good games you cant play on the pc that you can on consoles.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Alienware is all about charging you for the name, powerful yes, worth the buck??? If you got that money, there's better places to spend it, you can get a lappie or desktop as powerful for less without the name.

Word to the wise, any game that is worth while will ALWAYS come out on PC. Use that on choosing a platform.

Me, I'd always go for the upgraded comp before spending cash on a console that will be replaced in 3-5years, I guess the same goes with a desktop.... Atleast you can change out the video/graphics card on that though

edit on 6-11-2013 by sulaw because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 04:55 PM
link   

*Beware* of Alienware! My friend has one and it's so loud you have to yell to hear each other over the fans and it's slow as all heck!
My sister also HAD Alienware and it literally burned up inside just after the year warranty. She was out $2,000 just like that...

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 04:56 PM
link   

I would recommend Alienware because next year the Oculus Rift consumer version comes out and that will be the best gaming experience we've long be waiting for.
That you want to plug on your PC and it will not soon be available for xbox and playstation
edit on 0b09America/ChicagoWed, 06 Nov 2013 17:02:09 -0600vAmerica/ChicagoWed, 06 Nov 2013 17:02:09 -06001 by 0bserver1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 05:11 PM
link   

It has to be the Alienware or the PS4, depending on whether you prefer PC gaming or consoles.

For me a console is preferred for its ease of access, everybody is running on the same hardware and it has a relatively small outlay (compared to PC gaming rigs, that can cost a fortune to remain top-spec over their lifetime).

Don't get me wrong, PC gaming is fantastic and I have a great gaming rig myself. I also have a PS4 pre-ordered and cannot wait for it (BF4!). If the choice is one OR the other though, consoles definitely win.
edit on 6/11/2013 by Tachalka because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 05:35 PM
link   

I'll be getting both PS4 and Xbox One for the console specific games. I'll wait to see how well Steambox and Alienware thingy does before I outlay anything on new entries into the console world.

It's funny seeing people justify their $3000.00 PC gaming rig that requires upgrades every 6 months to keep up with tech....and even the upgrades are generally the cost of a gaming console.....I can't see the logic.

Consoles on the other hand set a bar....and then game developers have to push that bar....and as far as I can tell game developers haven't complained about the power of PS4 and Xbox One just yet.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Wii U of course

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Is the XboxOne backwards compatible?
Anyone know?

I have a lot of 360 games...lol
edit on 6-11-2013 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Darkblade71 Is the XboxOne backwards compatible? Anyone know?

Nope, neither is the ps4
edit on 6-11-2013 by FoosM because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by FoosM

That sux!

Might have to go with a ps4 then.

Not until they have been around for a little bit and the price drops though.

I just bought a brand new xbox 360 about 6 months ago (my 3rd one)
so I'll wait.....

lol

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I just want to know why on earth anyone would pay for an Alienware xWHATEVER, when you can custom build a BETTER pc FOR LESS???? People stop throwing money away. Learn to put a computer together yourself, it's not hard...
edit on 7-11-2013 by Bovah because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 05:15 AM
link   
Custom built PC is the way to go. Both the Xbone and the PS4 are basically mid-range PCs, running mid-range PC architecture, in windows-style environments.

For the cost of a new console you can easily get yourself a decent mid-range gaming PC, and then enjoy a vast catalogue of games that cost a fraction of what the new console games will cost.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join