It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twin Towers fancy dress students condemned

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

If there was a universal law against stupidity, we'd all be in jail at any given time.

Frankly, for a club contest winner, I expected more skin.

*wink*

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Yeps, the University just need to butt out. Their mates just need to go "your costume is crap".

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by skalla

You see, that is silly and OTT, harmless poking of fun at other cultures (within reason) is something most countries do, and for the most part it is funny.

Clarkson cracks me up often with his one liners regarding other countries.

There is a difference though in being offensive, or just plain nasty and hurtful.

There is no rule in freedom of speech that states you have to show compassion, but isn't it the human thing to do?

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 03:59 PM
link   
While I do not like their costume choice...This is just like the idiots who dressed like Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman ...... stupid ... offensive to some, but overall just stupid. Like the lady who dressed like a "Boston Marathon Bomb Victim" stupid and offensive ........ basically just because you can doesn't mean you should. I don't think any of these people the girls this post is about included thought about others feeling towards their costumes, I just don't get people being so stupid!! I just don't understand how any of the people mentioned in my post could get ready to go out on Halloween and think "oh yeah that's a great idea!!" "people will love this!" or whatever they were thinking.

I however don't think any of these idiots should get into trouble for doing it, it is not illegal to be stupid.
edit on 6-11-2013 by WhoDat09 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

I don't know how those costumes could have one first place. Either there were guy judges who took a liking to the two ladies or the other costumes were much worst. I've seen a lot better, but I digress. These ladies have every right to dress the way they like, even if it was in poor taste.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Who cares?

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 04:03 PM
link   

WhoDat09
While I do not like their costume choice...This is just like the idiots who dressed like Trayvon Martin and George Zimmerman ...... stupid ... offensive to some, but overall just stupid. Like the lady who dressed like a "Boston Marathon Bomb Victim" stupid and offensive ........ basically just because you can doesn't mean you should. I don't think any of these people the girls this post is about included thought about others feeling towards their costumes, I just don't get people being so stupid!! I just don't understand how they any of the people mentioned in my post could get ready to go out on Halloween and think "oh yeah that's a great idea!!" "people will love this!" or whatever they were thinking.

I however don't think any of these idiots should get into trouble for doing it, it is not illegal to be stupid.

GW Bush getting the presidency twice.

People putting any trust in politicians that repeatedly lie and misguide and spin.

People believing the earth is 6000 yrs old.

I rest my case.

Good job being stupid isnt a crime, we would all be criminals.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Reminds me of a story from earlier this year where two twin boys dressed up as the twin towers.

source

I wonder which is going to get more negative press.

Place bets now!

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 04:24 PM
link   

I find the costumes to be completely tacky and tasteless, yeah, but offensive - absolutely not. I'm offended by lying, cheating, stealing..you know, the sort of things that actually matter. Tasteless humor is pretty take it or leave it, it only affects those who allow it to.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by OratoryHeist

Well I'd have to say the girls ...... just because they are old enough to know better. The boys were only 7, they weren't even born when 9-11 happened, so their parents should get the blame for their stupid costume.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
Im offended that they are perpetuating the Official Story.

PLANES????

Were their dates demolition experts lacing their interiors with compounds making it easier for them to fall down later that night?

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

MichaelPMaccabee
Im offended that they are perpetuating the Official Story.

PLANES????

Were their dates demolition experts lacing their interiors with compounds making it easier for them to fall down later that night?

lol, the compounds you mention were sold at the bar.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

This 'story' only appeared on the BBC News website after it had been front page headline 'news' in the one and only Sun 'newspaper'.

In other news mass redundancies in UK shipyards have been announced, whole swathes of the country are suffering under cruel and unjust austerity cuts and low incomes, the NHS and Education system are under pressure, immigration issues blah blah blah.

I'm sure you get my point.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   
How old are these girls 19? That means they would have been 7 when 9/11 occurred. I would say it was a moment of unfortunate decision making, not an out and out intentional insult to the victims of 9/11.

They're Uni students and most Uni students do something they look back on in later life and regret. Isn't that a part of Uni life?

I find this attempt at humour more abhorrent to be honest.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   

OneManArmy

fatpastyhead
Disgusting outfits and probably disgusting people.. why else would you wear such a thing.

Something tells me they would not be so keen on wearing these over in the US.

Because it was Halloween fancy dress?

Did they hurt anyone? Apart from a few fragile feelings?
What caused more offence?
The girls doing this for a competition in a small privately owned nightclub or
The Sun newspaper putting it on the front page to cause outrage.

Damn we have people wearing Jimmy Savile outfits. Get over it, its called dark humour for a reason.
Its called freedom for a reason.

I love how you think that the death of thousands of people only affects fragile people.

No one said this should be illegal, but lets all go ranting on about how it's ok and shouldn't be illegal, why so serious! awesome thought processes.

We condemn idiots who dress up as nazis and parade around offending fragile peoples feelings. But it's ok when it's freedoms! Offending relatives of victims isn't a sign of freedom, it's just pathetic.

I mean, freedom is attacked and lots of people died, who cares... lets mock the death of people, because freedoms!!!!!111

I'll dress up next year as a school kid with an exploded head and a sign reading "Im a fragile little sandy hooker.."

Not illegal. And you guys will support me. I'll win an award or some #...

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 05:12 PM
link   

winofiend

OneManArmy

fatpastyhead
Disgusting outfits and probably disgusting people.. why else would you wear such a thing.

Something tells me they would not be so keen on wearing these over in the US.

Because it was Halloween fancy dress?

Did they hurt anyone? Apart from a few fragile feelings?
What caused more offence?
The girls doing this for a competition in a small privately owned nightclub or
The Sun newspaper putting it on the front page to cause outrage.

Damn we have people wearing Jimmy Savile outfits. Get over it, its called dark humour for a reason.
Its called freedom for a reason.

I love how you think that the death of thousands of people only affects fragile people.

No one said this should be illegal, but lets all go ranting on about how it's ok and shouldn't be illegal, why so serious! awesome thought processes.

We condemn idiots who dress up as nazis and parade around offending fragile peoples feelings. But it's ok when it's freedoms! Offending relatives of victims isn't a sign of freedom, it's just pathetic.

I mean, freedom is attacked and lots of people died, who cares... lets mock the death of people, because freedoms!!!!!111

I'll dress up next year as a school kid with an exploded head and a sign reading "Im a fragile little sandy hooker.."

Not illegal. And you guys will support me. I'll win an award or some #...

How many victims were in the club?
It was 12 years ago, to these girls thats history.

People dress as nazis on halloween, people dress as Osama Bin Laden on halloween, as hitler, as paedophiles, as Jihadists, it is simply art reflecting life in an attempt to bring humour to the darkest of realities.

So someone has there feelings hurt? So what? What next? How do you repair hurt feelings?
My feelings are hurt every time the politicians get caught lying, paying for their luxuries from my tax money while parading the poor and most needy as criminals for having the audacity to need state help.
I just had to deal with it, because that isnt front page news.
Im offended that the MSM is just a mouthpiece for social engineering.
So what, Im offended, am I injured? No. Am I going to get ill? No.
Im going to get over it, thats whats going to happen.
There are sick people in this world, and a couple of young girls that had the audacity to just make a costume from a historic world changing event are not the sick people we need to be looking at.
If Im going to condemn anyone its going to be those that carried out 911. And those that have fed us the lies ever since.

If someone wants to go to the extreme of expressing their free speech to go into South Bronx and start screaming out "I hate n*****s"(like Die Hard 3) they can expect to get an arse whooping from someone exercising their freedom of expression by proceeding to repeatedly punch them in the face.
Of course there are things you just dont do.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 05:52 PM
link   

I absolutely agree - the actions of decent folk are tempered by compassion and empathy. After all, when you have "rights" you also have an onus on you to use them in a responsible way before everyone's rights start to crash into each other and it all falls into a pile of crap and disintegrates.

But re these girls, for me it's a non story. Just some students doing tasteless stuff and exploring boundaries more or less in private. In two or three years they will be mindless parts of the rat race no doubt and this would just have been a dumb story they dined out on. However the Sun wanted some shlock for their front cover rather than covering something important or relevant.

It's still the crap costume that irks me though
zero for effort, and like beezer said, where is the damn skin? They could at least have had a nip poking out of a window thinking about jumping.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 06:20 PM
link   

woogleuk
The words "Freedom of speech" are tossed around a lot on here, particularly by those on the other side of the pond.

You have cartoons of Mohammad sparking controversy and religious hate, Muslim bashing left, right and center, trolling and cyber bullying...all looked down upon, but yet somehow OK in the eyes of many as it is all "freedom of speech".

..........or is it OK as they are entitled to their free speech and freedom of expression?

America isn't easy. America is advanced citizenship. You've gotta want it bad, 'cause it's gonna put up a fight. It's gonna say, "You want free speech? Let's see you acknowledge a man whose words make your blood boil, who's standing center stage and advocating at the top of his lungs that which you would spend a lifetime opposing at the top of yours." You want to claim this land as the land of the free? Then the symbol of your country cannot just be a flag. The symbol also has to be one of its citizens exercising his right to burn that flag in protest.

"Making sure the Enquirer can write whatever it wants is the only way I can be sure that New York Times is writing whatever it wants."

By allowing these girls to dress in the manner they did guarantees that other people will be able to criticize the girls for those actions.

I will take offensive and moronic over further erosion of our rights.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

This isn't news.

This isn't even the most "offensive" Halloween costume I've seen.

Far more innocent Iraqis and Afghans have died from our war on "terror" than those people who died in 9/11. Both groups are strangers to me, so if you want to talk about offensive then talk about the multiple "terrorist" costumes that perpetuate middle eastern dress with the "terrorist" shot etc.

150k+ and counting.

That's how many dead "rag head" who are "terrorists" in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Also, these chicks are just exercising the freedom of speech. If it's ok for the media to parade this event and Bush to use it as an excuse to start an illegal war then it should be ok for a Halloween costume.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

If there was a universal law against stupidity, we'd all be in jail at any given time.

Soooo many people locked up for life and being executed. I would most likely be in stocks in the town square getting pelted with tomatoes for years.

--------

I'm neither offended or amused. It seems like a stupid 'edgy' 19 year old thing to do. If it was done with malice towards victims and their families, yeah I'd be upset. It just seems like a poor attempt at dark humor though.

I'm all for freedom of speech and expression even if I'm highly offended. When we start curtailing others freedoms based purely on emotion we find ourselves on a very slippery slope. I'd rather be offended than stripped of my right to voice my opinion because it might offend.

I think I can some up my thoughts on the outfits with a gif.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join