It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got My Insurance Cancellation Letter Today (Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield)

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

The insurance companies are mandated to spend the premiums on healthcare rather than paying CEOs. Need I remind you of Bill McGuire:
United Healthcare arse

A billion here, a billion there, pretty soon you are talking real money.

Now if you wanted to really lower the cost of healthcare, we would have a single payer system. Unfortunately, there are these things calls Republicans...

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by gariac

I am a bit confuse about you claim that you receive rebates from the ACA, how is that possible when only the exchanges to buy insurance just opened in Oct, 1.

I will like to know how did you got the rebates already.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

I met a very nice fellow, about a week ago. He was in Nashville for a convention. He worked for H&R Block. I asked him, about this new healthcare law. He told me, "It is a Tax". I asked him, "What would happen to the people that didn't comply?" He said, "They will go to jail... It is a Tax." True experience.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by ladytamatha

Well the truth is that is nowhere in the ACA that said you will go to jail for not buying insurance just that you will be penalized. So as long as you pay the penalty you are in compliance.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 09:50 PM
link   

ladytamatha
reply to post by burdman30ott6

I met a very nice fellow, about a week ago. He was in Nashville for a convention. He worked for H&R Block. I asked him, about this new healthcare law. He told me, "It is a Tax". I asked him, "What would happen to the people that didn't comply?" He said, "They will go to jail... It is a Tax." True experience.

Well, he's right in the most extreme scenario, but the IRS would first treat it as a collection. The problem is, they are the worst and strictest collection agency in the U.S. First they would withdraw it from your tax return, (if you get taxes back), if that didn't work they would send the threatening letters talking about taking your assets or garnishing wages etc.. If that didn't work, then jail. Jail or not, it will plague your for life. The IRS is relentless and doesn't care about things like bankruptcy etc.

ETA: You would have the option to be put on a payment plan tho, isn't that nice?

edit on 6-11-2013 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   

It might not be in the ACA, but once the IRS owns the debt, it's no longer about the ACA. It (the penalty charge) then becomes about the IRS, so the wordplay keeping ACA out of it is nice, but the H&R tax guy is actually right about jail when it comes to not paying the IRS in extreme cases.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by gariac

Insurance companies are going to make their profits regardless and nowhere in the ACA said that they will be losing profits as a matter of fact.

The ACA is primarily an individual mandate to carry health insurance, Second it regulates markets at federal level no at state level like before, still it doesn't regulate cost like many think it does.

edit on 6-11-2013 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

That is if you do not pay the penalty then you own the IRS money and they can use any means to collect the debt, first is garnishing of wages, jail time is for extreme cases and first have to go to court.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   

marg6043
reply to post by Wookiep

That is if you do not pay the penalty then you own the IRS money and they can use any means to collect the debt, first is garnishing of wages, jail time is for extreme cases and first have to go to court.

Yes, that is correct. I must have mis-understood because I thought we were talking about not complying, IE not paying the penalty fee, which is handled by the IRS. (and is destined to quadruple every year for those who don't comply)

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Actually the penalty is not as stern as the insurance companies wanted, at least for the low income people that still can be mandated will be a bit hard to afford care or pay for penalties.

But it may be more legislation to address those problems, insurance companies wants more penalties and are still lobbying for them, penalties for no buying insurance in time and higher premiums also as penalties, Who knows what else they want that we do not know yet.

edit on 6-11-2013 by marg6043 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Which is crazy because the insurance companies are the last people who should be asking for MORE penalties. Greed has no end. As far as the non-compliance penalty goes, from what I've read, it's like $89 for the first year of non compliance. It then quadruples the next year to near $400, then $1600 (oops had to edit that TWICE, wow) the next year etc until compliance. It's pretty cut and dry and there didn't seem to be exceptions based on income. Pretty damn evil IMO. I think we're going to start seeing some big problems come the 2nd year or so.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

Hopefully the ACA will fail within the first year before the full implementation goes in effect in 2014 for individual mandate and 2016 for corporate mandate.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:18 PM
link   

Can't argue with that, it's surprising how people are still arguing it though. If big changes aren't made soon, we're in for a big disaster IMO.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:23 PM
link   

Honestly, I really don't know. I don't have access to television. I don't know what the television is telling everyone. I can only state, what was said to me. Maybe, I misunderstood? He seemed to know what he was talking about. I didn't get to ask him a lot of questions. I wanted too, but I didn't push. He seemed guarded. I don't blame him. I don't know if the information is true or false. I only know, what he said. I even asked him to repeat himself. I couldn't believe my ears. I wanted to make sure I heard him right. His response really caught me off guard. He repeated... It is a tax. If you don't pay. You will go to jail. Then he turned and walked away. The conversation was over. I didn't get to ask anymore questions. It is run by the IRS. If you don't pay the yearly tax and comply with the new law, (what ever it is?) you will go to jail. I hope I misunderstood. If I did, please forgive me. I don't have a T.V. =)

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Wookiep

I am sure that it will be heavy legislation first or the attempt to legislate to save face, let see what happen within the next year.

In order to work, ACA needs the bulk of new enrollees coming from the young and healthy group of the population, so far the bulk has been for the Medicaid expansion.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   

I'm sorry for butting in again but he was right, however he was talking extremes if you don't pay your penalty for not complying. It IS a tax, anything forwarded to the IRS for collections is a tax. The supreme court ruled it as a tax, so you did not hear him wrong.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Is ok, Wookiep, posted the penalties per year, you can view it on his post on this page.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:31 PM
link   

I just re-read your post. Yes, you are right. But, it is still a tax. What if some folks can't AFFORD to pay? That's the part that has me concerned.
edit on 6-11-2013 by ladytamatha because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   

Thanks so much, for the tip. I appreciate you =)

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   

My understanding so far is this, and this may not be entirely correct but -

If your income is poverty level, then honestly you need to look into getting on your forced healthcare. This will ensure you will not be penalized. My understanding is the healthcare for the very poor won't cost you much, if anything just like it already doesn't with medicare. If you have medicare, just keep it unless they tell you otherwise.

If you have over poverty level income (I *think* over 17k per year) then you may find yourself paying more than you thought and might want to take the penalty for the first year if you can't afford it, but it varies based on income. This will mainly affect the middle class like a bomb going off and soon they will be in poverty unless this can get turned around. Supposedly there is a tax break if you're in a certain bracket, but the figures aren't adding up for most and doesn't seem to alleviate much. It's also applied to your tax refund so it does no good throughout the year, and does no good if you already owe taxes anyway.

If healthcare.gov worked, you might be able to get some solid numbers, but... the govt screwed up on that too.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join