It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hola! Hallo! Privet! Hi! Salut! Shalom! Ohayoou!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I would like to try something.

We have members from all around the world. For many English is a second or third language. They often feel as if they must apologize for their lack of proficiency with writing in English. I think they are extremely brave and I am glad that they are here and contribute so much to our community. I would love to be able to communicate in another language and I would like to try with the thread to help to provide a safe place for them to bounce things off us as a tool for being able to better express themselves. There is a method to my madness. I hope that we may also be able to learn some things from them as well.

So what do you think?

Can this work?

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 12:00 PM
link   
I have to agree

Some of my favourite member's English isn't perfect, and it really annoys me when the grammar nazi's come steaming in.

Rest assured grammar nazi's their English is better than your grasp of their native tongue.

I only speak 3 languages and 1 of those is a bit rusty, but when I speak it people are generally polite enough to help me out. Rather than berate me for not being perfectly fluent.

Good thread OP

S&F

Cody

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 12:07 PM
link   
To right. Well said. A lot of people may be put off posting because they think there English may not be good enough. Post away i say
. I dont worry about my grammar.....Well unless the GRAMMER NAZI herself is in da house
...S n f from me to

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I have lived in germany four years and my german still sucks. I will never give someone a hard time over language issues. So please forget the language nazis and keep up with the posts,

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDoctor46

To right. Well said. A lot of people may be put off posting because they think there English may not be good enough.

That would be Too right, and their English Doc

Note to future posters, Doc is an old friend on ATS and knows it's just a joke

Cody

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by cody599

Darn....I really did try my hardest then to

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Not positive, but I believe that it against the T&C's to post in any language other than English?

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I agree fully. I know that I'm not the greatest with the only language I know which is English. I figure if I can understand what a person is saying that's a good thing. If I have issues I will ask them to restate what was said. I also like to hear an opinion of people from the area the news is coming from. I figure that the opinion of someone that is there is more valid than basing one off what was seen on the news.

Kocag

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by TheDoctor46

Too Doc ..................... too

Cody

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Kocag
I agree fully. I know that I'm not the greatest with the only language I know which is English. I figure if I can understand what a person is saying that's a good thing. If I have issues I will ask them to restate what was said. I also like to hear an opinion of people from the area the news is coming from. I figure that the opinion of someone that is there is more valid than basing one off what was seen on the news.

Kocag

Precisely

As long as I get the meaning of the message, that is all that matters.

Well said sir

Cody

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by AprilFooseball

I don't know any other language but English, I was thinking more along the lines of helping with getting intent into content.

English can be tricky and ATS it can be even to trickier when dodging some of our more critical and less forgiving members.

I don't know how it would work, that is why I just threw the idea out there. there's I even get stuck sometimes trying to put the right words together when trying to get my point across, I sometimes also have to bounce what I am trying to say off someone.

Again just thinking out loud.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   

NightSkyeB4Dawn
reply to post by AprilFooseball

I don't know any other language but English, I was thinking more along the lines of helping with getting intent into content.

English can be tricky and ATS it can be even to trickier when dodging some of our more critical and less forgiving members.

I don't know how it would work, that is why I just threw the idea out there. there's I even get stuck sometimes trying to put the right words together when trying to get my point across, I sometimes also have to bounce what I am trying to say off someone.

Again just thinking out loud.

The thing is, you brought a valid point to the table; just because one's English is not perfect, does not make one ignorant or any less deserving of a voice and an opinion in our community

Cody

top topics

join