It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is todays society so obsesed with gore?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Every time im watching a youtube video of for example `interview with foreign secretary` there will ALWAYS be a related video at the side with a title `beheading of kurdish national warning graphic`!

Or you look at a cute little cow video and in the related videos is `snake eats security guard`.

I watch videos of asmr (love it, so relaxing), but in related video section is `worlds weirdest diseases` and the caption is of some weird fungus growing on somebodys leg`!!

And its everywhere, all the gaming websites like ign, have these little external link widgets with titles like `three things you will feel before you die` or `must see celebs in the morg`.

You may say it is only the internet, but here in the UK, in most of the newspapers a month or so ago, in the front page.. not tucked away inside the paper. but on the front page there was a photo of gassed children in syria lying lifeless.

And in the daily telegraph a few months back was a picture of some black guy who beheaded his mother, and photographed himself holding the head.. the guy was there, in the photo, not blurred out, just the head in his hand was blurred out!

It is nothing to do with `having a sensitive stomache`... i have zero problem watching the nuremberg trials video we have where you see the nazi leaders shot by firing squad, maybe the reason is its in black and white so doesnt feel as real or gorey, but i simply am hesitant to visit most video or news websites (even supposed `okay` ones like the daily mail or telepgraph or youtube) because you know theyll always be some graphic gorey article or video in the side bar.. always.

And please dont tell me `its to show you the reality of the real world`.. because if thats the case, and why these gore websites are allowed.. then why not allow gross peadophile websites in the name of `to show you the reality of world`... no difference, one is taking away a persons life physically and the other mentally (and sometimes physically)

Am i the only one who feels this way?
I hate societies` current obsession with violence and shock factor mentality.
edit on 6-11-2013 by mlifeoutthere because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I could get all conspiratorial about some intended mass desensitization but....

Maybe some people just like stuff like that.

I do not.

Maybe it's both.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by mlifeoutthere

Ohhhh. Gore as in blood and guts and protruding bones and brains spattered... not gore as in Al Gore, godfather of global warming.

Sokay... good read.
edit on 6-11-2013 by redoubt because: Redoubt's ridiculous talent for typos

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   

It's more about curiosity it does not make people sick and twisted just human nature.

How many times have you sat in a back-up on the road for a minor accident? every time and it's because everyone has to feed there curiosity.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 11:54 AM
link   
I is not a current society obsession, think of the colassium in Rome, the crowds of people who would go to see the witch burnings, or the stoning of whores, the list goes on and on throughout history. Unfortunately it is human nature like not being able to look away at a car accident.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
People who are raised in a certain manner tend to be more obsessed with gore than the rest of us.

I wasn't raised in a violent manner and I can barely watch horror movies.

Here's a very interesting website:

www.psychohistory.com...

The author details how the origins of war are linked to child abuse. Very interesting.

edit on 6-11-2013 by OrphanApology because: d

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I have corrected my spelling for the original post as it was a bit diabolical.

Anyway, why is it just shoved in our faces everywhere!

I really am NOT interested in seeing videos of people being eaten by lions or beheadings in afghanistan, yet this crap is shoved in your face on the so called mainstream sites

its like all they want to is shock you

Ugh

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 12:25 PM
link   

If your not looking for it you won't find it.
The only time I see gore is when I'm searching for it.

Maybe you have a bigger obsession with gore then you think.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Because it's sticky and gets everywhere.

But, it also acts as a good personal lubricant. So it has that going for it.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
It has gotten really bad on tv, specifically American shows. Even the comedy dramas, such as Bones, and Castle, sometimes go overboard with the graphic images.
Lots of the shows that I really enjoy, I watch parts of them with my glasses off, thankful for having poor vision.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Wait, what makes you think this is a new phenomenon? The Romans had their gladatorial contests. The Middle Ages had the Crusades. After that we had the Inquisition. Conquering of the Americas. Humans have been obsessed with violence since they climbed out of the trees.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Simple....Since the late 70's...Hollywood in general, Televison and Movies, Video games.

We've gone there as "fun-to-watch-and-play-all-day-hey-look-I-got-Grand-Theft-Auto-and did-ja-see-the new-Evil Dead dvd!!!??!!"

It never going back to "the Waltons". It's only going to get worse.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Shakespeare is full of gore. People poisoning each other and gouging eyes out. Grimm's Fairy Tales are full of gore. The Bible is full of gore. Our old myths are full of gore.

It's not just contemporary society. People love a good story chock full of fighting and killing and blood.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 04:18 PM
link   

We are a total Entertainment society.
It's like eating something sweet - or something sour - or something REALLY tasty... After a few bites, the bliss goes away.
Or...like hearing The Best Song Ever!!!...the first time, and second time...and maybe a few more times... But, when you've heard it 50 times in a week - the "buzz" has faded away.
Years ago I watched "Jacob's Ladder". It was sooo intense. Had a profound affect on me.
Watched it again, about 10 years ago. Didn't get as big a rise out of me.
Saw parts of it again, recently - the "shock" and "wow" factors were all in check.
I would guess you saw the movie "Running Man" (?)... That's where we're heading.
Staged Reality Shock Video
Maybe the only thing that could compete would be like what was portrayed in "Total Recall".
Otherwise - video games allow you to "experience" some of the thrills... But - without the real-life shock and horror, they don't pull the same response from the participant/s or viewers.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
It's evocative.
Any reaction emotes a feeling.
A feeling can outright control an entity,
for a time until something new bumps it off .
Neuro-linguistics is super powerful and it's simply words.
Images..that's where it's at....

If you saw a mediocre movie but at some point
the character was mutilated, it sticks with you.
Like it or not.
(personally I no like)

If at the end of a mediocre movie the character gets all
sexed up, it evokes emotion too and indeed stays with you.
And again you feel ,like it or not.
(I'm better with this one)

When one recalls any story, many times the violence
or whatever is the "anchor " memory image.
That image is a gateway to the memory .
I don't know what that means or how its used,
but it's thought provoking. I think It must work really well.

In my opinion, TPTB know these powerful mediums
(sex and violence fear and love)
and use them in all kinds of ways
that we probably don't understand.

But now back to my movie Pulp Fiction.
Who the F *** ate my Big Mac ?

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I'll second what others have said and state this isn't a new thing at all and the OP just needs to take a quick tour through history to realise this is nothing new - in fact, Humanity if anything has tempered it's violent nature compared to just a few hundred years ago when Public executions were the weeks entertainment highlight.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I stopped watching TV when my nightly entertainment began to resemble a "parade 'o corpses." Make no mistake about it, this is a social engineering program. The objective is to get people used to images of death and destruction--to normalize slaughter and ultra-violence--and to coarsen and demean our culture.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   
Our Great-Grandchildren will be watching live murder programs with dinner.

It isn't hard to see.

CX

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Hi,

You don't by any chance have kids do you? Kids, especially teens will often be looking at gore on the net. They might not even see it as gore any more.

Those recommendations on the side bar don't just happen by chance any more.

CX.

top topics

join