It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teen Refuses To Run In Cross County Meet After Being Given the Number '666' - vid

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Teen Refuses To Run In Cross County Meet After Being Given the Number '666'

Those in 'authority' should hang their heads in shame. This brave young woman is a fine example to her school, community, and most of all to her faith in Jesus Christ - AMEN AMEN Codie - we are proud of you.

WILLIAMSBURG, Ky. (WYMT) - A Whitley County teenager refused to run in her regional cross country meet last Saturday after being given the bib number '666.' Codie Thacker sat the race out refusing to wear what she says many see as the "mark of the beast." She told a local reporter, "I just don't believe that 666 should be a number that's anywhere on your body and I did not want that number associated with me. It kind of made me sick."

Whitley County High School Track Coach Gina Croley said, “I'm very sure that the number was computer generated. I don't think it was any type of you know let's give somebody this number, but when it was brought to their attention, I feel like if it were possible, it could have been changed.”
Despite Thacker's objection, Kentucky High School Athletic Association officials wouldn’t change her number. Her religious principles then trumped her passion for running: “I was upset, because I'd trained all season for it. But in another sense I stood up for my beliefs and I stood up for God."

Joe Angolia, a representative for KHSAA claims meet officials were not told Thacker objected for religious reasons, saying, “We've made adjustments to uniform codes and things like that in the past when it's known that religious reasons are in play. Maybe had that been made more clear to meet officials, they would have made that decision.”

Both Thacker and her coach maintain that they clearly cited religion as the reason for the objection.
Thacker says she has received lots of support from the community, and when asked if she'd make the same decision, she said, “Yes i would, I would definitely stand my ground on this.”
Coach Croley said, “I wouldn't have been more proud of her if she won the entire meet. She stood on her principles; she stood for what she believed in.”

edit on 6-11-2013 by XionZap because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by XionZap

LOL how pathetic, im sure she doesn't care when her iPhone shows 666 on the screen.
She believes a number is dangerous?? A number??? LOL, what are they feeding you guys in the US??

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Hell, I'd be running with the biggest grin if I was given the number 666 for a Marathon. I'd wear it with joy and Pride.

Edit: I'm not being Sarcastic, I would seriously be happy to have that number assigned to me for anything. lol
edit on 6-11-2013 by VoidFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
reply to post by XionZap

Such a brave young woman, scared of a number. I guess God just didn't want her to win the race.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
So she chooses to be cowed by the number instead of wearing it in clear rebellion. What better demonstration of the power of Jesus than to wear the devil's badge and walk away victorious? Wear it and pray before, during, and after the run. All while wearing the number. Take that, you evil old snake.

Or you could just grow up and stop investing in fairy tales. That would work too.
edit on 6-11-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by AmberLeaf

Numbers can have a variety of meanings to all people around this little mud ball. Lucky or unlucky numbers, hotels omitting or renaming the 13th floor and many other examples.

Considering the runner in OP's article didn't hurt anyone (other than herself), what matter is her belief to you, me or anyone else?
edit on 6-11-2013 by Zerobizarro because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by XionZap

Coach should have flipped the sign upside down, told her she is now 999 and sent her out to race.

That is really pathetic what we let kids get away with nowadays.

link   
reply to post by XionZap

Atheists, cowards, satanists, and nere-do-well malcontents of every stripe would do well to take heed of the warnings written in the Book of Revelation for they are intended for you directly -

Revelation 13:18 ESV /
This calls for wisdom: let the one who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man, and his number is 666.

Revelation 13:1-18 ESV /
And I saw a beast rising out of the sea, with ten horns and seven heads, with ten diadems on its horns and blasphemous names on its heads. And the beast that I saw was like a leopard; its feet were like a bear's, and its mouth was like a lion's mouth. And to it the dragon gave his power and his throne and great authority. One of its heads seemed to have a mortal wound, but its mortal wound was healed, and the whole earth marveled as they followed the beast. And they worshiped the dragon, for he had given his authority to the beast, and they worshiped the beast, saying, “Who is like the beast, and who can fight against it?” And the beast was given a mouth uttering haughty and blasphemous words, and it was allowed to exercise authority for forty-two months. ...

Revelation 13:16-18 ESV /
Also it causes all, both small and great, both rich and poor, both free and slave, to be marked on the right hand or the forehead, so that no one can buy or sell unless he has the mark, that is, the name of the beast or the number of its name. This calls for wisdom: let the one who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man, and his number is 666.

link   
reply to post by XionZap

Coach Croley said, “I wouldn't have been more proud of her if she won the entire meet. She stood on her principles; she stood for what she believed in.”

This is pathetic! So she believes in evil numbers? Give me a break!

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   
reply to post by XionZap

I take the warnings in the bible as seriously as the warnings on my cereal packet...not very seriously.

You must be so proud of your god, condemning billions of people to an eternity of pain and suffering because they were born on the wrong continent so were taught about the wrong god (LOL) or god wasnt powerful enough to show himself to those with a little more grey matter...the non gullible types.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Superstitious nonsense!! Even more goofy is she's made to be some kind of hero for it too and people gather around with support. What about all the people out there with lucky rabbits feet or different colored socks or underwear that they never wash since that big game they won in high school, where is there support???

Yesterday I walked all over town without stepping on one crack in the sidewalk and walked around and not under any ladders. I skipped every 13th step as well which resulted in me hopping around quite a bit. Now I'm a hero too cause I stood by belief in superstitious nonsense, right????

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by XionZap

Yea those evil evil atheists must all burn! Forget the fact that someone could have spent their whole life as a selfless individual and striving to help out his fellow man. The fact that he doesn't believe in God makes him super evil and he must burn!

Or wait we could just not be scared of a few passages from a book that was written hundreds of years ago about the Roman Empire.

Also there is this:
4 big myths of Book of Revelation

2. The numerals 666 stand for the devil

Most people think 666 stands for an anti-Christ-like figure that will deceive humanity and trigger a final battle between good and evil. Some people think he’s already here.

Pagels, however, says the writer of Revelation didn’t really intend 666 as the devil’s digits. He was describing another incarnation of evil: The Roman emperor, Nero.

The arrogant and demented Nero was particularly despised by the earliest followers of Jesus, including the writer of Revelation. Nero was said to have burned followers of Jesus alive to illuminate his garden.

But the author of Revelation couldn’t safely name Nero, so he used the Jewish numerology system to spell out Nero’s imperial name, Pagels says.

Pagels says that John may have had in mind other meanings for the mark of the beast: the imperial stamp Romans used on official documents, tattoos authorizing people to engage in Roman business, or the images of Roman emperors on stamps and coins.

On a related note, I used to work in Bank of America's credit card department and I received a call where a customer wanted a new card because the 3-digit CVC number on the back of the card was 666. I thought that was pretty humorous. Gotta love it when randomly generated numbers screw with Christians.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Obviously it was Whitney's strategy to win favor from her Evangelical Church, friends and family.
Clever young woman to solidify her position in her Christian community and get her 15 min.. of fame at the same time. She could have asked for another number but used the 666 as a soap box to promote her religious agenda.

It takes real talent to be clever and lame all at the same time.

edit on 6-11-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   

XionZap

Those in 'authority' should hang their heads in shame. This brave young woman is a fine example to her school, community, and most of all to her faith in Jesus Christ - AMEN AMEN Codie - we are proud of you.

Look, I agree with her right to refuse to run, for whatever reason, but it's pretty selfish that she took a spot in the Regional meet that another runner could have had, and then refused to run. You have to qualify for regionals and she screwed someone else out of their opportunity to run. She screwed her entire team over, but I guess that part is ok.

And if she was on such shaky ground with God that she thought He might choose worrying about the stupid number that she was running under, rather than what is in her heart, then she was just following religious dogma and bs rather than really knowing God. Bottom line, God has a trillion bigger issues to concern himself with other than whether one girl in kentucky runs with a 666 as her assigned runner number.

The next time the family is playing Rummy and I have trip sixes to play, I better just refuse to play them, because God watches when we play cards...

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

olaru12
Obviously it was Whitney's strategy to win favor from her Evangelical Church, friends and family.
Clever young woman to solidify her position in her Christian community and get her 15 min.. of fame at the same time. She could have asked for another number but used the 666 as a soap box to promote her religious agenda.

It takes real talent to be clever and lame all at the same time.

edit on 6-11-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

Please read the OP (we know you didn't) otherwise we'll think you are lying to us intentionally - BTW if you did read the the OP you would have known that she hails from Whitley County, and that her name is NOT Whitney - its Codie. You make it so easy to be made a fool of - I didn't even have to exert any effort -

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Zerobizarro
reply to post by AmberLeaf

Numbers can have a variety of meanings to all people around this little mud ball. Lucky or unlucky numbers, hotels omitting or renaming the 13th floor and many other examples.

Considering the runner in OP's article didn't hurt anyone (other than herself), what matter is her belief to you, me or anyone else?
edit on 6-11-2013 by Zerobizarro because: (no reason given)

Superstitious beliefs dont fit in todays society.

They don't matter to me, but clearly they control some peoples lives.

Like i say it doesn't impact on my life, so it doesn't matter to me...but im free to an opinion, and mine is, there are a lot of stupid gullible people that inhabit this rock, and she is a prime example.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   

usernameconspiracy

XionZap

Look, I agree with her right to refuse to run, for whatever reason, but it's pretty selfish that she took a spot in the Regional meet that another runner could have had, and then refused to run. You have to qualify for regionals and she screwed someone else out of their opportunity to run. She screwed her entire team over, but I guess that part is ok.

And if she was on such shaky ground with God that she thought He might choose worrying about the stupid number that she was running under, rather than what is in her heart, then she was just following religious dogma and bs rather than really knowing God. Bottom line, God has a trillion bigger issues to concern himself with other than whether one girl in kentucky runs with a 666 as her assigned runner number.

The next time the family is playing Rummy and I have trip sixes to play, I better just refuse to play them, because God watches when we play cards...

I agree with you about her wasting of a spot on the roster for another, better suited person to shine. If she really wanted to look at it from her God's point of view, she should have recognized that she was given that number as her personal test from her God and she failed to use the strength of her god to outrun those numbers which tripped her up.

Another poster mentioned that she should have turned it around and shown that she was not going to flinch or give in to the devil but like most children these days, she found an easier way out than facing her fears. Jesus supposedly did not quit, he even carried his own cross and she could not even run with paper.

edit on 6-11-2013 by evc1shop because: clarity

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by usernameconspiracy

The beautiful young lady made every effort to have the # changed and the "authorities" refused to grant her reasonable request. Had you read the article (which you obviously did not) you would have known that. She had every right to ask for the # change.

BTW - I find it very enjoyable seeing the non-believers and outright atheists, agnostics and assorted losers showing their true colors in this thread, which is an extraordinary example of Christian bravery - Praise God for the opportunity, now that I have you out in the open as opposed to hiding under slithery rocks I can actually preach to your sorry a**es

Make my day !!! har har

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

AmberLeaf
reply to post by XionZap

I take the warnings in the bible as seriously as the warnings on my cereal packet...not very seriously.

You must be so proud of your god, condemning billions of people to an eternity of pain and suffering because they were born on the wrong continent so were taught about the wrong god (LOL) or god wasnt powerful enough to show himself to those with a little more grey matter...the non gullible types.

Sometimes I think the bible ought to have one of those FDA warnings like "Warning, this book is known to produce nuts. Avoid prolonged exposure. Do not use without proper guidance."

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
i would have just flipped the damn thing

Nothing wrong with 999

but that would be too easy i suppose

i wish that just once i would read a story like this where common sense prevails

i firmly believe people should be able to place their faith in whatever Religion or idea that they wish, that being said we are all extremely lucky that stupidity isn't contagious or we would all be doomed...

the girl has her beliefs and she remained true to them, i respect that however if something as arbitrary as a number on a shirt can cause such offense then this young woman is going to find the world to be a cruel and terrifying place

edit on 6/11/2013 by Ph03n1x because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join