It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SeaTac’s $15 minimum wage proposal winning in early election results

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Source

The SeaTac ‘Good Jobs Initiative’ to raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour for workers in Seattle-Tacoma International Airport and at airport-related businesses was winning 54-46%, with 3,283 votes counted Tuesday night.

Supporters of the proposal were celebrating Tuesday night’s election results. “The victory in SeaTac means that workers at the Wendy’s, McDonald’s, Burger King, and Starbucks at our airport will see their pay rise to $15/hour along with thousands of others,” said Ryan Parker, a fast food striker who works at Wendy’s in the Ballard neighborhood of Seattle. “If they can do it in SeaTac, we can do it in Seattle, too.” The proposal, if it is approved, will ensure a $15 minimum wage for more than 6,000 workers in and around the airport.

This is actually a good thing. Now the leftist experiment can be observed in a microcosm without destroying the national economy.

I think in about a year we will all see the end result of what happens to an economy when an artificially inflated min wage is forced on it. I'm guessing a Big Mac at the airport is going to run in the neighborhood of $10.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

Yeah...

I guess that the owner of that mc'donalds will only be able to afford 2 Ferrari's for xmas instead of the 4 Ferrarri's he usually gets.

Sucks to be him.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

I agree, we have to let this play out and just hope that we can pull up out of the nosedive at the last minute. We shouldn't be tempting fate and risking total failure at the national level.

State and local governments are the basis of the 'legislative laboratory'. When the roof blows off the top of the building and everyone is burned to death, we know what not to do everywhere else.
edit on 6-11-2013 by greencmp because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Ya this is a good idea..

Here is a topic.. Min wage gets 150 bucks and hr.. My wife makes 14.43 an hr.. Her wages stay the same no matter what over this..

Some guy at mcdonlads makes the same amount now..

Remember that gas you guys were bitching about that cost 4 dollars a gallon.. Now its going to cost 9 to 12 dollars a gallon..

So you give all these people money plus the fed reserve pumping billions in at the same time..

Sooner or later the cup is going to over flow and spill everywhere.. And when that time comes it will be a mess...

I think people should get better wages but its usally not good for people on fixed incomes because everything goes up and becomes crazy exp to buy...

Food.. A pound of ground meat in 98 was about 69 cents a pound.. today its between 3 and 5 dollars..

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

What do you think the airport charges the franchisee for the rental space? taxes?

I know, you go talk to a franchisee and see how he is living and tell me what kind of car is in the driveway. And hey no point in arguing about this, everyone will be able to see this play out over the next year.

You won't have to pass an econ 101 class to learn something.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

I used to live in that area. The cost of living there is outrageous. While I'm not a fan of mandated wages, I would never work there for less than $15.00 a hour. Hell, I had a job here in the Cleveland area that paid better than that and I still had to scrimp.

That would be a good starting wage for baggage handlers, and if I remember correctly, they actually make more than that after they have been there awhile.

But if it is for a burgerflipper at Mickey D's in one of the concourses. It won't be worth it as they just make the positions part time.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   

ThichHeaded
Food.. A pound of ground meat in 98 was about 69 cents a pound.. today its between 3 and 5 dollars..

It's insane. I went grocery shopping this weekend and returned home with four bags. $210.00 dollars!

The only meat I had in the bags was some breakfast sausage.

I had coupons, bought the sale items and no name brands.

Those of us on fixed incomes are screwed. Prices never go down...always up.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I can't wait to see how happy they are when the competition for these fast food jobs begins to weed out the "slackers".

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
Yeah, here we go.
We need to just go ahead and crash this damn thing.
I say we all need to do this. Vote yourself a pay raise. Watch the economy crash and burn. That way we can fix the damn thing before my kids are old enough to have to shoulder the responsibility of our reckless policies.

Screw this system right up the *expletive deleted*.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

When the Fed prints 100 Billion of those Dollars EVERY month what do you think happens to the value of said Dollar and it's buying power?

Also if a burger flipper is worth $15 per hour, what is going to be the cost of everything now that the wages have been inflated?

Raising the min wage does not lift anyone from poverty, it will drive more people into it. The left have yet to learn this lesson, but the folks in SeaTac are about to.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   

TDawgRex

Those of us on fixed incomes are screwed. Prices never go down...always up.

And in that way those who work #ty jobs at McDonalds will always be making minimum wage whether it's $5.00 and hour or $50.00 an hour.

But the reality of it doesnt matter. All that matters is somebody has a soap box to shout from to move people and win elections.

The jokes on the people who think raising the minimum wage will raise their lifestyles.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Carreau

reply to post by thisguyrighthere

I quite agree. This will hurt worse than help. Many jobs will become part-time so there will be no real growth, but idiots will think that they are richer somehow and not realize it until it's to late.

Higher wages for people who make crap products means those crap products will end up costing more. But I think that it is a reasonable starting wage for the baggage handlers and fuelers and those who work the flight line. Those can be tough jobs.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Jobs like Mickey D's were intended for high school kids. NOT as careers for uneducated, barely productive adults.

I pay my guys $20.00 an hour for part time work. They are stoked that they make twice what a fast food worker makes. What is $15.00 an hour minimum wage going to do to their moral? I am guessing they will all want a raise. If I want to keep them they will get it.

No big deal though as I will simply pass that cost along to the consumers. Of course I will sell less rides, make less money and buy less stuff. When I buy less stuff it hurts other industries.

Kinda of a Black Hole of Doom is you ask me.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Carreau
reply to post by grey580

What do you think the airport charges the franchisee for the rental space? taxes?

I know, you go talk to a franchisee and see how he is living and tell me what kind of car is in the driveway. And hey no point in arguing about this, everyone will be able to see this play out over the next year.

You won't have to pass an econ 101 class to learn something.

Here in Miami I've known franchise owners over the years.

Most were driving Mercedes and BMW's. You don't get a franchise unless you have some heavy duty cash to shell out. Franchises are not cheap and they just don't give them out to people like halloween candy.

And to be honest your argument is invalid. Look at Costco and how well they treat their employees. They start them out around 11 an hour and in a few years they can earn up to almost 20 an hour.
I've been going to my local costco for a few years now and I see the same people working there almost as long as I've been a member.

granted this isn't a costco. however there's no reason why employees can't be comptensated better.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

grey580
reply to post by Carreau

Yeah...

I guess that the owner of that mc'donalds will only be able to afford 2 Ferrari's for xmas instead of the 4 Ferrarri's he usually gets.

Sucks to be him.

No sucks to be you or more accurately anyone who buys goods or services at the airport.

Labor is a expense that WILL get passed onto consumers. Either people will pay the new, inflated prices or not. If they don't, business will have to deal with smaller margins or close up shop and move to areas with better margins.

This is a favorite question of mine, what percentage of profit do you deem to be excessive? I'm not talking dollar amt, just percentage. The answers I get tend to show you who owns a business and those who are clueless.

Is it 10%? 20%? Lets hear your number.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Why did I waste time learning a skill if I'm only getting 20 an hour?

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 04:22 PM
link   

PlatinumShatinum
Why did I waste time learning a skill if I'm only getting 20 an hour?

It's not cool to stay in school. Gotta rock the vote!

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   

pavil
No sucks to be you or more accurately anyone who buys goods or services at the airport.

Labor is a expense that WILL get passed onto consumers. Either people will pay the new, inflated prices or not. If they don't, business will have to deal with smaller margins or close up shop and move to areas with better margins.

This is a favorite question of mine, what percentage of profit do you deem to be excessive? I'm not talking dollar amt, just percentage. The answers I get tend to show you who owns a business and those who are clueless.

Is it 10%? 20%? Lets hear your number.

Of course the expense will be passed on.

And it's the american way of doing business. instead of getting good hard working people with lots of experience and who can do the job of 2 people. they get the scraps from the bottom of the barrel that will work for anything and suck at what they do.

There is no such thing as excessive profit. If your product is good and business is good then you should earn whatever you get. However there is such a thing as being greedy bastard and keeping more for yourself and not rewarding your employees for making you that money.

You keep your employees happy and more often than not they will be proud to work for you, they'll care about your customers getting good service which will end up making you more money.

top topics

join