It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Super Typhoon Haiyan gaining strength, will strike Philippines with maximum strength of category 5!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 01:02 AM
link   

bkaust
First deaths being reported on news.com.au

Two people were killed in Cotabato province - an adult and a one-year-old - and a woman was fatally hit by a falling tree in Cebu, officials said.

Deaths will be many. My hope is that the rest of the world is preparing to arrive with swift and meaningful medical, food, water supplies, etc.. ASAP.
-cwm

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   
Okay, this is very strange to me, and here is why.

Im from Texas originally, and when I was in 4th grade, there was a hurricane that hit Florida, i dont remember the name this was back in 88 I believe.

Anyway we there in Texas were getting heavy rains that were pushed up from that hurricane.

Now, Here is this typhoon, supposedly one of the biggest ever right? currently I am living live in bulacan, quezon city Area slightly north of Manila. Now I know that there would be less impact here because of my location, however looking at all the sat maps and predictions I should at least be seeing some rain right? ..............Right????

I'm not seeing any rain, I'm not even seeing any wind, its just a typical windless day here in the town. Moreover, I was told to not even expect any rain at all this week. WTF, is that about?

I mean, I'm looking at the satellite coverage and I'm well within the path to at least see something, yet I see nothing.

Im not trying to downplay this so I hope everyone understands, and i hope everyone is okay afterward. I'm merely expressing the confusion I have over this particular event. I just would have expected something based on others that I have experienced and what I experienced when I was a kid. Not to mention what I'm seeing on satellite.

Not even a little rain, I mean no more than the usually rainy season shower.

Anyway, just find it strange.. Not trying to derail the topic. Also I hope no one gets hurt.
edit on 8-11-2013 by snowen20 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 02:12 AM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

This is so sad. Yes, I think there are going to be a lot of people hurt.

200 mph winds. And people who don't even have shelters because of the earthquake.

I will be praying for them all.

It could take days, weeks before we know all the destruction.

edit on 8-11-2013 by crappiekat because: to add

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Looks like a certain storm is stealing Typhoon Tip's infamy:

Typhoon Tip (international designation: 7920, JTWC designation: 23W, PAGASA name: Warling) was the largest and most intense tropical cyclone ever recorded. The nineteenth storm and twelfth typhoon of the 1979 Pacific typhoon season, Tip developed out of a disturbance in the monsoon trough on October 4 near Pohnpei. Initially, a tropical storm to the northwest hindered the development and motion of Tip, though after it tracked further north Tip was able to intensify. After passing Guam, Tip rapidly intensified and reached peak winds of 305 km/h (190 mph)[nb 1] and a worldwide record-low sea-level pressure of 870 mbar (870.0 hPa; 25.69 inHg) on October 12. At its peak strength, it was also the largest tropical cyclone on record with a wind diameter of 2,220 km (1,380 mi).

en.wikipedia.org...

It definitely beat out Tip by a few MPH/KPH, but I'm not seeing where it's the biggest in miles/kilometers ever, as a few posters have suggested. Tip was MAMMOTH in size. Absolutely MAMMOTH. And that diameter up above was just the wind's reach, not the entire size of the storm cloud edge to cloud edge.

Haiyan is so large in diameter that clouds from it are affecting two-thirds of the country, which stretches more than 1,850 kilometers (1,150 miles).

www.cnn.com...
That's the total size quoted and the highest I've seen. I don't think this beats out Tip's giant footprint by a longshot (or the pressure) Winds are definitely record holders for Haiyan.

I'm seeing diameter quotes across the board, so judging by the wind diameter, it might actually be closer to the 500-800 mile diameter estimates floating around. We'll see in the coming days what kind of bar Haiyan just upped the game to.

Oh, and if you have anything to spare, give to the appropriate charities ASAP. This is going to be a disaster of epic proportions over there

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 06:38 AM
link   

files.abovetopsecret.com...

Monster storm roars into Philippines

Philippine meteorologists say at its height, storm surge caused by super typhoon Haiyan reached 15 feet in the central Philippines

More than 12 million people are at risk from the storm, including in Cebu, the country's second largest city

Typhoon Haiyan, one of the strongest storms ever recorded, has struck the Philippines
At least three people have been killed and another seven injured, reports say
Millions of people in vulnerable areas have been forced to seek shelter across 20 provinces
More than 12 million people are at risk from the storm, including in Cebu, the country's second largest city
Schools and offices are closed with ferry services and local flights suspended. Hospitals and soldiers have been put on stand-by

www.bbc.co.uk...

edit on 8-11-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 06:52 AM
link   
(

More videos ..

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

it's really only the area close to the eye that gets hit. it is a bit odd that you aren't having some slight rain but as a texas resident i've seen my share of hurricanes hit close and if i'm not in the direct path i rarely see much bad weather. i saw pics of people in manilla that just had umbrellas so that area just isn't getting pounded like the areas that get a direct hit.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 07:38 AM
link   
Super Typhoon Haiyan, one of strongest storms ever, plows across Philippines
By Jethro Mullen, CNN
November 8, 2013 -- Updated 1045 GMT (1845 HKT)

(CNN) -- Super Typhoon Haiyan -- one of the strongest storms recorded on the planet -- smashed into island after island as it plowed across the central Philippines on Friday, threatening millions of people.

It left devastation in its wake, flooding streets and knocking out power and communication networks in many areas. Three people were reported dead, more than 100,000 took refuge in evacuation centers and hundreds of flights were canceled.

The storm brought tremendously powerful winds roaring ashore as it made landfall on Samar, a hilly island in the region of Eastern Visayas.

With sustained winds of 315 kph (195 mph) and gusts as strong as 380 kph (235 mph), Haiyan was probably the strongest tropical cyclone to hit land anywhere in the world in recorded history. It will take further analysis after the storm passes to establish whether it is a record.

edition.cnn.com...

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by MariaLida

WOW!! TY all for all the videos & info....first place I came this morning upon opening my eyes!! The news was just on The Weather Channel here....they said the islands are completely cut off.....those winds are scary....TWC, says after it goes back out into the ocean, it can re-strengthen & head to china......I hope the people that were living in tents because of the prior quake, found shelter...it's not sounding good......

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
NASA's Hurricane Web Page
3 minutes ago ·

"NW PACIFIC At 8:32 a.m. EDT/9:32 p.m. local time in the Philippines, Super-Typhoon Haiyan is moving through the Western Visayas right now. Maximum sustained winds are near 145 knots/166 mph/268.5 kph. Haiyan is STILL a Category 5 storm on the Saffir-Simpson scale. It was located near 11.6 north latitude and 121.5 east longitude."

www.ssd.noaa.gov...

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Now finally is category 4 ..

Updated min ago ..

Last Updated: 8. studeni 2013, 13:00:00 (Central European Standard Time)
Wind: 250 KPH
Movement: W at 23 mph

www.wunderground.com...

Ormoc City, Philippines

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Earthquakes, typhoons, poverty... God really hates those pious Filipinos.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
Typhoon Haiyan devastates northern island of Palau

Audio:

Typhoon Haiyan has devastated the island of Kayangel in Palau's north, according to an assessment of damages by emergency crews after the super typhoon struck overnight.

Blas Lawrence from Palau's Government Media Office has told Radio Australia's Pacific Beat no casualties have been reported, although all homes

"When we approached on the helicopter, the whole island was devastated," Mr Lawrence said.

"I had goose bumps on the aircraft trying to think there are a lot of people laying down there.

"But fortunately, when we arrived, the first report that the citizens gave us was that there was no injury."

No casualties

www.abc.net.au...

Yolanda destroyed numerous homes made of light materials ..

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

iLemming
Earthquakes, typhoons, poverty... God really hates those pious Filipinos.

If God really hates them so much, they should have been wiped out of this earth already but it looks like even disaster after disaster thrown at them, they seem to never whine and complain and then just get back on their feet back and as what in CNN said "...At the end of the day, the Filipinos will just shake off the dirt from their clothes and go about their business and smile."

That's resiliency.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Super typhoon Haiyan: Raw damage images and video from violent storm

November 8 at 1:38 pm

www.washingtonpost.com...

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by iLemming

"No casualties ",,,,u miss that part??

and why is it when its all nice and fluffy its GHIA,,MOTHER EARTH,,when its devstating destruction, with parrameters ,, of "Biggest Ever",,never seen in this generation,, its Gods fault?
edit on 11/8/2013 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Philippines says at least 100 dead from typhoon Haiyan
Source: Reuters - Sat, 9 Nov 2013 01:39 AM
Author: Reuters

MANILA, Nov 9 (Reuters) - At least 100 people may have died in the Philippines from the impact of super typhoon Haiyan, a senior government official said on Saturday.

www.trust.org...

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
World waits to see powerful typhoon's devastation in the Philippines
By Michael Martinez and Jethro Mullen, CNN
November 9, 2013 -- Updated 0219 GMT (1019 HKT)

While delivering 195 mph winds with gusts reaching even 235 mph, Haiyan first landed near Dulag and Tacloban, flooding those coastal communities with a surge of water rising 40 to 50 feet,

edition.cnn.com...

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   

MariaLida
Philippines says at least 100 dead from typhoon Haiyan
Source: Reuters - Sat, 9 Nov 2013 01:39 AM
Author: Reuters

MANILA, Nov 9 (Reuters) - At least 100 people may have died in the Philippines from the impact of super typhoon Haiyan, a senior government official said on Saturday.

www.trust.org...

Geez, that's so sad......I just read that on cnn. They said the bodies were on a street?? I hope they dont find many more.....

posted on Nov, 9 2013 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by j.r.c.b.

((

Unfortunately casualties will be more and I'm afraid much more ..

More than 100 bodies are seen lying in the streets of just one affected town as a survivor says it was like "a tsunami".

news.sky.com...

"Vietnam has started evacuating over 100,000 people from the path of Super Typhoon Haiyan, state media said Saturday, after the storm tore across the Philippines leaving scores dead and devastating communities."

www.abc.net.au...

Latest image ..

edit on 9-11-2013 by MariaLida because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join