It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sections Of Rand Paul’s Op-Ed On Drug Sentencing Plagiarized From Article Week Earlier

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 12:39 AM
link   
While I applaud the effort on behalf of decriminalization, this guy is a joke. Responsiblity, my patooty.

Must make his Daddy pround.

Sections of an op-ed Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul wrote on mandatory minimums in The Washington Times in September appear nearly identical to an article by Dan Stewart of The Week that ran a week earlier. The discovery comes amid reports from BuzzFeed that Paul plagiarized in his book and in several speeches.
Paul also delivered testimony before the Senate Judiciary Committee on Sept. 16, 2013, that included the copied sections.

Paul’s office did not return a request for comment.

www.buzzfeed.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 01:08 AM
link   
reply to post by FyreByrd

Ok...

Were they good points? If so, I dont really care.

If he didnt cite the source he should have but other than that, this is hardly an issue.

Whats the establishment going to say, hes got no original thoughts? Hes a crook! Gimme a break.

+2 more 
posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Rand Paul just seems to be parroting information already published, not plagiarizing, he isn't making money from it.. This sudden focus on Rand Paul by the MSM is an obvious smear job..

I once wrote an article completely on my own, then put it through an online plagiarizing tool and it failed..

The problem is having language with a finite number of words.. Like a roll of the dice, a persons choice in wording will be found to match someone else's..

Plagiarism has turned into a scam. It used to be used to stop students from taking shortcuts in their writing , or authors from copying someone else's work and profiting from it..

Even though it looks like Rand Paul copied someone else's stuff just to relay some information about some issue doesn't bother me, but it sure bothers the plagiarism police, but this is only because they don't support his politics.. (big surprise)..

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   

FyreByrd

Are you saying Rand Paul's and Ron Paul's politics are identical?

And, of course Paul's office didn't return a request for comment. Didja think Rand wrote that himself? I saw him explain it on the news ... and it sounded like a reasonable explanation to me.

You wanna pick on Rand Paul ... call him a RINO. That's gonna come out pretty soon. Him and Rubio both. In Rand Paul's defense, I don't see him being completely out there for #1 yet, but he is in politics for a reason. I just hope I get blasted for calling him out as a RINO ... I wanna be wrong there.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Snarl

FyreByrd

And, of course Paul's office didn't return a request for comment. Didja think Rand wrote that himself? I saw him explain it on the news ... and it sounded like a reasonable explanation to me.

You wanna pick on Rand Paul ... call him a RINO. That's gonna come out pretty soon. Him and Rubio both. In Rand Paul's defense, I don't see him being completely out there for #1 yet, but he is in politics for a reason. I just hope I get blasted for calling him out as a RINO ... I wanna be wrong there.

No - not at all. The elder is considered and rational.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Wow, more attacks on Rand, well he must be gaining too broad
of an audience, and then those folks are taking him seriously,
as they should.

So apparently, Rand poses a real threat to the status quo,
which is why all of the sudden he is worthy of attack.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 02:08 AM
link   

FyreByrd

Snarl

FyreByrd

No - not at all. The elder is considered and rational.

Hmmm ... I'd have put it the other way around after reading Ron's books (rather than just listening to his sound bytes).

But, hey! At least we agree they're different!!

ETA: Would it be fair to say that a politician guilty of plagiarism is merely 'speaking with the voice of the people'?
edit on 6112013 by Snarl because: ETA

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 02:37 AM
link   
The current administration and the ones we've had in the past, and I'd say this is putting it very lightly, have partaken in global imperliams, unquestioned assassinations (drones), have overthrown governments, have used propoganda and disinformation against their own people, murdered their own people in order to justify invading a self-sustained 'terrorist' nation, protected bankers and prosecuted whistleblowers, and I could go on for days regarding the blatant disregard and trampling of our rights.

People like Rand Paul stand up for issues like these and vocalizes them, makes them a talking point and one that needs to be addressed and worked on together, rather than painting it up into a pretty package and shoving it down the throats of everyone with convenient half-truths and hollow speeches (Obamacare, anyone?)

I'll be honest, I don't understand what most of the political drivel is trying to say. All I get out of it is 'your political partyy sucks because mine is better and I said so - here are aome insults and layman terms to bolster my ego.' But for plagiarizing? Really?

So, the Federal Reserve can suck this nation dry and our politicians can line their pockets and arm their armies, but *drumroll* how DARE they plagiarize. What soul-less, evil kremlin that dwell in the pits of hell.

Look at the bigger picture. Idle hands do the devils work and the truth and scope of this make the devil seem like a chump.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by burntheships

Unfortunately, this one is legitimate, and he's admitted himself. Even blaming his office and suggesting major changes will fix what it's now obvious he's done. Often, by all appearances. I respect his Dad very much and I feel bad for Ron now. He must be deeply disappointed. What Rand has done and now been busted for is simply no small thing. It's a real biggie. I've lost respect for him after reading his reactions and latest statements.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 04:09 AM
link   

I could have told you he was a scam artist along time ago.
And he openly showed his colors when he stabbed his Daddy in the back for his own political gain last election.
No better than the prince who killed a kind king.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Don't see how it's a big deal really..... Most of the words that come out of politician's mouths are stolen from someone else smarter than them. They talk in all kinds of cliches and slogans.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

This is the second issue this week where it's so clearly wrong, it vibrates...it's absolutely proven when it's caught red handed ..and it's not supposed to matter?? Why?? Is that because someone on "our side" did it? Someone I think we all had high hopes and great wishes for?

I hate that he's been busted like this ...but if this isn't supposed to matter and we're supposed to blow this off?

Well, then fair is fair and Obama should never have his chops busted on a technical issue of law or procedure himself. It can't work both ways. Technical legal issues matter ...or they don't. Plagiarism ...just ONE instance of it...can and does END an academic career. This can happen even and perhaps especially into Graduate level programs.

It doesn't matter of I liked Rand Paul or not. He doesn't rate any special exceptions and I'll be darned if HIS misconduct should mean Obama gets a free ride on HIS misconduct ..which again, he MUST if we start giving out exceptions like some give out waivers.

edit on 6-11-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It doesn't matter because it's inconsequential BS. Every politician has someone else writing their speeches, writing articles under their name etc etc. I don't even really like Rand much personally. I am more worried about what he does in office than his ghost writers plagurizing. So his writer got lazy, and didn't put it in his own words. I have more important things to worry about. Name a single politician out there that has an original thought? They don't exist. They are all taking someone else's ideas that they like and rolling with them. Or worse, being fed their "ideas" from "thought tank" groups.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   

TKDRL
Don't see how it's a big deal really..... Most of the words that come out of politician's mouths are stolen from someone else smarter than them. They talk in all kinds of cliches and slogans.

This Paul thing is reminiscent of a recent lawsuit by Jack Daniels against a smaller distiller because the bottle the latter uses is both square and has a dark label...

We are a lawsuit lovin' age where Moses, if he were still around, would have probably sued anyone reciting the 10 Commandments in public.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Rand Paul has created a meme of himself, and I bet it's all the result of one speech/article writer who has little talent except the talent of searching thru other people's work and using their words verbatim. The person, male or female, will probably not get a good reference from Paul, who will be paying for this fiasco for a long time.

I don't know why the world's voters don't rise up and demand that all politicians write their own speeches. If they don't write them then they are just actors (Reagan fans, take note), and that should count against every one of them and not just R. Paul. Where is Abe Lincoln when we need him? Home in Springfield, Illinois, that quitter!
edit on 6-11-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-11-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Aleister

Rand Paul has created a meme of himself, and I bet it's all the result of one speech/article writer who has little talent except the talent of searching thru other people's work and using their words verbatim. The person, male or female, will probably not get a good reference from Paul, who will be paying for this fiasco for a long time.

I don't know why the world's voters don't rise up and demand that all politicians write their own speeches. If they don't write them then they are just actors (Reagan fans, take note), and that should count against every one of them and not just R. Paul. Where is Abe Lincoln when we need him? Home in Springfield, Illinois, that quitter!

Did his staff write his book for him too?

I find it funny that anything the entire government does is Obama's fault. Doesn't even matter if it was some State government that did it, it's still Obama's fault.....But, if Rand Paul commits an infraction, even in a self authored book, it's somehow his staff's fault? Please!

It's becoming more and more apparent everyday that the guy is a human Mynah bird.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

It doesn't matter because it's inconsequential BS. Every politician has someone else writing their speeches, writing articles under their name etc etc.

Well, I might agree and I have absolutely no delusion to the idea what Rand Paul did was unique or even unusual, perhaps. He did get caught though and his first reactions are telling and deeply disappointing.

If that's the standard though, so it shall be ...and that absolutely MUST apply 100% equal to violations of equivalent nature for Obama, Pelosi, Reid and the others I'd love, not hate to see busted with their hand trapped in the cookie jar, with a hand full of cookies. Someone else's cookies, by someone else's recipe, in this case.

So long as we're not going to get double standard with it, even a little bit.

I can't, personally, do that and be intellectually honest. I've already busted Obama's chops in my posting far too many times and with full sincerity and passion for his total disregard for 'little things' which lead to really BIG things, as we've seen.

So we'll never likely agree on this one. Heck...even friends can't agree all the time tho...right?

(Gets out pitcher of water ...awaiting disagreement.. -grin- )

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Seriously, is this the best you can do?

You must be able to find some horrendous dirt on the Republicans so, the fact that the target of the left now seems to be Paul, Cruz, etc. is apparent evidence of some success by individualists to make a noticeable dent in the statist agenda.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 09:54 AM
link   
It's been clear now for sometime what the Right on ATS has devolved into (not all, but too many), it's not even worth arguing with you guys anymore, I used to value that even if I got mad... I guess that's part of it, hardly a one of you even make me mad anymore and even fewer are capable of discussion. Just even bigger circle jerk than what it was before. Mostly all this is anymore is just pathetic. You lack the integrity to call your own out.

Are there more pressing matters in the world? Yes. Is this a big deal? Yes. Why? Because it is theft and a false presentation of self. This is not using comparisons in speeches, the movie stuff sure I can look past a politician using movie scenarios to make a point, it's not a bad way to reach an audience at all and using quotes is fine too for the same reason... stealing others words to do so, not so much. Stealing an entire two paragraphs of someone else's article to write your own article? It's disgusting and it's wrong. When all along so many of you claimed to love his honesty and integrity... he is not his father and his father is no longer in a position to give you the change you want. Own up to it, admit it and move on... do not accept less, don't keep up the fantasy of him being his father's son. Look for it elsewhere. It has to be out there somewhere.

Don't compromise on the lesser of two evils paradigm, it is that very thing that keeps us all trapped.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

The way I look at it. We don't elect people to write books, articles, to give speeches. This is extracurricular activity. Might give some insight into character though, if he was actually the one that wrote it. Ghostwriters is the norm these days, hire others to make you look smarter than you are, or make yourself look good in your voter bases eyes.

I don't like that the practice is common. That politicians spend so much money trying to look good should tell people something. A real person does not need a PR team. A lot of lifer politicians are just not real people. They are an illusion, crafted by others, projected to the dullheaded masses.

I prefer to focus more on things that matter, how they do their job. Although when people campaign saying one thing, then pull a 180 and do something totally different, then it does have relevance I would say.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join