It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Euthanisia debate- injured hunter decides to end own life support

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 11:36 PM
link   
This is an interesting development in the Euthanasia debate. I'm sure most people remember the Terri Schaivo incident several years back that brought this issue into debate. This story is a little different, because the person in question was able to make their own decision- to go off life support and not be crippled. I wonder if any pro-life people would like to force him to stay on support against his wishes?

seattletimes.com...

Injured hunter opts to go off life support

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Finally, some common sense. The guy made his decision and the medical types did what they're supposed to do - follow the wishes of the patient.

Bravo.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   
I am really glad they didn't string this one out forever like they did the Schiavo incident. I think anyone over the age of 18 should be able to make the decision for any reason they choose and not have it questioned by those that think they know what is better for EVERYBODY else that walks on the face of this planet. I am not talking about the people who are mentally unable to make such a life altering (no pun intended) decision. We never know what it is like for other people and their reasons for wanting to die may be something we would never consider ending our own life for, but in the end it is not for us to say whose reason is adequate and whose reason is not IMO.

It's sad for sure and I hate for people to be in this situation or any other where they feel like death is the only way out, but it is what it is and they deserve the right.
edit on 11/5/2013 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Restricted
reply to post by CB328

Finally, some common sense. The guy made his decision and the medical types did what they're supposed to do - follow the wishes of the patient.

Bravo.

As much as I agree with you, the medical types you refer to are doctors.
Doctors take an oath to "...first, cause no harm". So doctors cannot be
the ones to pull the plug on a patient who "would live" without breaking
their oath. In this day and age vows and oaths are becoming
increasingly important to me, and I believe, to society as well.

It's a catch-22.

Personally I believe that a person has a right to die if they choose. I just
believe the onus is on them to carry it out
edit on 6-11-2013 by rival because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
A doctor helps a patient to survive but cannot force it upon the patient.

A patient who refuses support and dies takes nothing away from "do no harm".

A doctor who kills a patient who would survive without medical treatment is a different story.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I gotta say, I'm not against any form of suicide that doesn't directly harm another.

If a person has the right to Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness, do they also have the Liberty to end their Life, in the Pursuit of Happiness?

I think they do.

top topics

join