It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is America Starting to Cannabalize?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:30 PM
link   
When i say cannabalize for those of you who may be curious what i am referencing is the catabolic state the body goes into when it isnt getting enough protein/calories to sustain starts metabolizing existing muscle for energy.

Source...

During desperate times, such as fasting, or muscle wasting that afflicts cancer or AIDS patients, the body cannibalizes itself, atrophying and breaking down skeletal muscle proteins to liberate amino acids.

I see signs of this happening to America all over the country, and i have literally lived all over the country in the past few years. I mean, look at Detroit. There are other cities starting to fall apart all over the US now, Scranton, almost all major metropolitan areas are experiencing severe issues with unemployment and underemployment.

People who get evicted or find empty houses are fast to strip the copper out of these houses. Now i know this goes on typically anyway but its obviously happening more and more.

Today i went to a job interview, i was one of about 50 candidates and they are doing multiple interviews. The saddest part was, was the fact that 80% of the candidates was in my age range, the mid twenties.

Thats not good.

Ive said it before and ill say it again, its impossible to get into a trade right now and i have debt issues, how am i suppose to get ahead, how is there suppose to be any forward progress?

I see people driving nice cars all over the place, am i in a small minority that just is seeing the short end of the stick or are these real problems and all the nice houses and new cars are illusions? Whats the deal, am i seeing things clearly?

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
Physically I wouldn't be surprised at all if self-cannibalization (actually a kind of starvation) is becoming noticeable.

I watched 2 doccie series on YouTube recently respectively titled: "The men who made us fat", and "The men who made us thin".

While obesity has been the shocker until now, it was the second series on "thinness" that actually gripped me as the most shocking.

An astounding level of "wanting to be thin at all costs" has crept into various sections of society.

In fact, a significant percentage of people probably already have a form of obsession with slimness and weight (which is not bound by age or gender), and a daily (eventually hourly) struggle with the scale or mirror.

Perhaps the results are starting to be seen, and they're probably not healthy either.
Ironically, such thin phases can heighten obesity, because when the body returns to its normal weight after a period of starvation it increases that weight every time.
People can literally diet themselves from overweight to obese.

The food and weight paranoia is well established, and I think we're in for a shock on what the pervasive propaganda will do to people's minds and bodies.

edit on 5-11-2013 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by onequestion

Just a suggestion, but have you considered a career in fields that are hard to fill?

Nursing?
Anesthesia tech?
Some sort of engineering?

I don't know your background, but I do know that if you want to stand out, don't join a profession that has a crowd.

Good luck.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I would but i have a felony and i know i shot myself in the foot with that one, also i have bad credit for obvious reasons. Its hard for me to get on my feet let alone go to college. I just want to get on my feet.

link   

FYI, most of those folks in the expensive cars and homes have huge debt. The rest? Probably old money or a few just got lucky (hard work AND rare opportunity).

The only advice I can give is reevaluate what 'get ahead' means to you. If it is the expensive cars, big homes, and trips around the world, you will be forever frustrated. There is never a home big enough or a car sexy enough. Myself? If I have money for lunch, it's a good day.

link   

"how am i suppose to get ahead, how is there suppose to be any forward progress?"

Temp to hire, and just temp work is plenty throuout the US. Look at craigslist. Temperary labor is very in demand.

Is temp work ideal to certain scocial groups? No.

If one can " drop some needs" one can afford cheap nutritous food and a studio apartment to kerp them out of the rain.

Look for the temp work. It is everywhere and it will ensure the mussles and tissue damage will not take place. Well.. as long as the person does not have chemical dependencies that is.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ABNARTY

Yeah thats where im at to. I easy to please but i cant support myself right now. I however participate in a household where everyone chips in. This just might be how its becoming.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   

onequestion
reply to post by beezzer

I would but i have a felony and i know i shot myself in the foot with that one, also i have bad credit for obvious reasons. Its hard for me to get on my feet let alone go to college. I just want to get on my feet.

We all have bad credit, and a felony is not good, but not a show-stopper either.

Have you given thought to relocating?

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Yeah i have i just relocate 2 weeks ago and i shouldnt have.

Also im wondering if anyone else is noticing this as a trend?

Does it seem like people in their twenties right now are having a really hard time getting into gainful employment?

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Yes, and sadly it's probably only going to get worse.

There is always working the oil wells in Williston, ND. They pay well, but it is dangerous work.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   

onequestion
reply to post by beezzer

Yeah i have i just relocate 2 weeks ago and i shouldnt have.

Also im wondering if anyone else is noticing this as a trend?

Does it seem like people in their twenties right now are having a really hard time getting into gainful employment?

My mid 20's I was just getting my act together and I'm in my mid 30's now. I moved around a lot at first but eventually settled down now not far from the Scranton area. This is a depressed area so aside from the low cost of living, its not the best place to move to.

A felony does make things harder but it doesn't have to keep you down. That's not to say that it wouldn't be very helpful if someone was to do you a solid as it were. Find a way to get into some place where you can work your way up and show your snuff. These days it's easier finding that kind of job social networking either online or at bars.

Most of the managers or leaders I work with are always hobnobbing at local watering holes, especially when the execs come in. Once you start getting work experience it becomes easy to drown out things like felonies.

I wish you luck on your search and as to your inital point, the world is simply over-saturated with people and we are still content buying cheap plastic garbage from China. That really is the crux of it. Although it would be simpler, localizing important things like agriculture would keep many people busy and all of us as a whole all the more healthier. Don't figure...
edit on 5-11-2013 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
It's not just America my friend, it's the world as a whole. You did hit the nail on the head though with your analogy. It's happening in many ways. Just look at the bail outs from a couple of years ago, I mean what is that if not a perfect example of what you are talking about. Stop and frisk, corporate prisons, test based education, Obama Care. Our corporations government and civil infrastructure is literally consuming itself.

In my opinion there are a couple of factors that exacerbate the situation. Perspective is a driving factor. Our culture has a major problem with taking itself way too seriously and overcompensating for most all dilemmas.

Someone above mentioned "having money for lunch." ..In past times when our nation was doing well. People didn't spend money at lunch... There can be said a lot for that. We have strayed from the idea of making things last and your time count. We don't plan for the future and consume mostly things that last a life time any more.

If you make all of your meals yourself, get up a little bit earlier, try and be prepared for the problems that arise in any given day, and surround yourself with things that are solid and help support a stabile life for yourself, everything will become really simple. Your time and energy will be more than fruitful. If you try and adapt some of the self discipline and fortitude almost everyone displayed just not that long ago, you'll find that you will have more than enough to make do. You can make the hard work and focus of a couple of years pay off and support you for the rest of your life.

Now if we could just get the whole crowd to realize that...

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   

There are more people on means tested public assistance now than there are working full-time jobs in this country. That should tell you something.

If we didn't have public assistance programs, this place would look like the '30s with Obama' and Bushvilles up under all the overpasses. It would be that hopeless. That we don't see it is because government is literally paying out money they print out of thin air and steal from the rest of us who are still fortunate to have work to keep those people hidden in housing.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Quauhtli
It's not just America my friend, it's the world as a whole. You did hit the nail on the head though with your analogy. It's happening in many ways. Just look at the bail outs from a couple of years ago, I mean what is that if not a perfect example of what you are talking about. Stop and frisk, corporate prisons, test based education, Obama Care. Our corporations government and civil infrastructure is literally consuming itself.

In my opinion there are a couple of factors that exacerbate the situation. Perspective is a driving factor. Our culture has a major problem with taking itself way too seriously and overcompensating for most all dilemmas.

Someone above mentioned "having money for lunch." ..In past times when our nation was doing well. People didn't spend money at lunch... There can be said a lot for that. We have strayed from the idea of making things last and your time count. We don't plan for the future and consume mostly things that last a life time any more.

If you make all of your meals yourself, get up a little bit earlier, try and be prepared for the problems that arise in any given day, and surround yourself with things that are solid and help support a stabile life for yourself, everything will become really simple. Your time and energy will be more than fruitful. If you try and adapt some of the self discipline and fortitude almost everyone displayed just not that long ago, you'll find that you will have more than enough to make do. You can make the hard work and focus of a couple of years pay off and support you for the rest of your life.

Now if we could just get the whole crowd to realize that...

^^^This^^^
Things are gonna get worse.
If you can find 1 or 2 jobs, minimum wage, take them.
Save your money.
Living in cooperation with others, as you've mentioned, is wise--if they are not wasteful idiot druggies.
Take your own lunch--peanut butter and jelly sandwich, or a can of beans and an apple--something less than $1.50/meal.
Eat oatmeal for breakfast--the kind in the big round cannister. Fix rice, potatoes, beans, eggs, apples, lettuce, celery, etc. for supper.
Use public transportation, if possible.
Get a used bicycle for short trips.
This is how most of us older folks lived when we were kids.
The good times are past us now--even for you youthful ones.
Exercise and brush your teeth.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Yes, I see it a lot now especially with people younger, in their 20s, having to live with parents and or numerous friends. I think it's being manufactured to be this way, that way in turn, greedy corporations can justify their ills in the way of Alan Greenspan's thinking that the younger generation of America is lazy-see here. As well as the thinking of politicians that immigration is needed because those people are willing to work low wage jobs, and more likely to have children-here-" target="_blank" class="postlink" rel="nofollow">Jeb Bush comments here before they are too old because of a career-see the Idiocracy movie- and not saying they are dumb immigrants but it illustrates that some wait until it's too late or later in their situation because of trying to be well off.
----------
Overall the corporations make more as if not already from having shipped numerous jobs overseas, limiting the work force to service sector jobs that are in high competition demand. Demanding fifteen dollars and hour now pay at McDonald's? You better bet you'll need a degree to be hired there.
----------
As you mentioned, I've too worked jobs(PT, low pay- that cannot pay your bills but supply gas and some food on the table, that most would have to settle on because there's simply NOTHING else) where 50 plus people came in a day for applications, when we needed more help. The nice cars you see that people are driving are lease cars, up to nearly $500.00 a month in payments. It does make you wonder how they can afford that when rents in some places are $800.00 plus per 1 bd in some places. Perhaps for them, as I learned from family years ago "It's not who you are, it's who you know." Or at least that's what it will have to be to make ends meet anymore.
edit on 5-11-2013 by dreamingawake because: not posting correctly?

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Learn how to can. Learn how to take advantage of every sale you can. Buy extra when the price is right and preserve it because you might not get any opportunities to touch it again for a long time. Learn how to do things for yourself wherever possible - basic plumbing, wiring, car repair, home maintenance. Find ways to barter those basic skills to others who don't know as much for things you need or cash under the table.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by dreamingawake

The sad truth is my generation is not really that lazy. I work pretty hard, i mean there is probably a lot of lazy people. I know for sure im not lazy but i have stability issues. Im not really much of a drug addict or alchoholic.

Its just crazy.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Thanks for sharing the vids as that's one of things that I read into once and a while. Maybe for me it can piece together a lot of what I've been observing. One many point is the artificial sweeteners, studies have shown they're not good, but more so they cause people to eat more because they are under an illusion that the portions are low fat even if they eat more of it.
edit on 5-11-2013 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 10:36 PM
link   

The sad thing is how many of you have come out of college saddled both with obnoxious debt and with degrees that will open few doors, and yet we continue to promote college as a must to so many kids.

I think it's all an excuse to put you all in debt bondage to the government. Add up how much in debt service you pay to the feds each year on top of how much you lose in taxes, and it's criminal. They're taking well over 50% from the bottom instead of the top.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by ketsuko

I realized how #ed we were when i worked to much overtime and got taxed more for it.

I knew how the system was developed and why then.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join