It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One Digital Day.....the children will never be the same.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:12 PM
link   

What effect will technology have on society?
edit on 5-11-2013 by beatbox because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
okay, how about a synopsis, did you read this book? whats your feelings about it?
ETA: an 18 second video doesnt say squat you know
edit on 11/5/2013 by HomerinNC because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:27 PM
link   
They will walk as if asleep...

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:39 PM
link   
The worst side effect IMO is laziness (of body, mind, and spirit). I'm comparing to what people used to be like - kids running and playing outside (actually using their imaginations and facing boredom without their head spinning off), getting up and taking effort to cook things if we wanted to eat (no microwaves), or just thinking through things. Also - making eye contact and actually talking - picking up cues from body language are important elements many miss out on if they don't balance technology with old fashioned human contact.

I was talking to a 20 year old about a time with no Internet, no cell phones, Saturday morning cartoons only - from the "olden" days. He said, "wow - I can't even imagine". That isn't good IMO because I have seen how people don't know how to do simple math, spell, or are simply addicted to instant everything as well as high stimulation. What does all of that do to the brain? Turns it into mush for a simple answer. Lose it if don't use it. Skewed social skills, inability to reason, no patience, hyperactivity, and on and on.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:51 PM
link   
Oh brother.

I work with 30 blue-collar people who regularly use trigonometry. You know how Math teachers are always being asked "but what is *this* used for? It's used for programming CNC machines.

Some of the guys I work with are 20 or so. They don't seem terribly retarded.

My kids are 15 and 11. Both spend a lot of time on the computer. Both are straight A students. My oldest plays Bass, draws and paints better than most professional graphic artists, and makes her own clothing. My youngest builds 8-bit video games for Linux.

Broad-brushing is a modern sport, and its been going on since I was a kid. Back then it was comic books and rock n roll that would "rot your brain" and "make you lazy." This kind of reactionary nonsense was always spouted by some moron with a couple of divorces under their belt and an addiction to some television show or another.

Pro-Tip: The Ancient Greeks thought PHILOSOPHY was corrupting the youth of Athens. There is literally nothing new under the sun. Some people are just lazy POS's. They were lazy when "funny pages" were the king of media, and they will be lazy when we are uploading our consciousness into stars for semi-permanent storage. Want to do something about it? Go do something, and stop worrying about the lowest common denominator. They never change anyway.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by 0zzymand0s

It sounds like the people you know have a healthy balance. Some are seriously addicted and do not have such good parental guidance or self control. It can absolutely cause people to not think for themselves. Look at the studies on human behavior and cognition for those who overuse or rely too heavily on technology.

I am also proud to say my own son is an exceptional student and is well rounded. I don't think this is an all or nothing thread. And rock and roll was a moral argument - not one that had peer reviewed studies to back up what the consequences can be. Can't really compare those two.

edit on 5-11-2013 by Dianec because: Ironically - Spelling error

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   
I quit complaining about social media on ATS.

There is just something wrong with complaining about technology on your technology.

It's beyond ironic....Almost like it was written in the code.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by whyamIhere

That is really funny actually. I was thinking that very thing. It's about balance. Technology is awesome if you do other things - engage in life and even leave it at home now and then to go out into the world without it.
edit on 5-11-2013 by Dianec because: (no reason given)

top topics

join