It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Electrical Fireball in Montreal.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I have no idea where to post this, seems like maybe here, maybe not.

Pretty freaking amazing though. If I seen this I would of definitely been changing my undies.

Griffiths (camera operator) said he still hasn't gotten an official response from the electric company explaining what caused the two electrical currents to surge in front of his home. The best explanation he says he's seen is on Reddit, where an electrical engineer says it's a high-impedance arcing fault likely caused by a fallen branch or a lightning strike.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by canDarian

Loved the "Oh my God" at the end

Cool vid

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   

boymonkey74

Loved the "Oh my God" at the end

Cool vid

I liked the "not cool" lol

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Nice Video!

I sure would have closed the door at least!

Yep! It would have been a crapper alright. Then the Honey Due List after that one!

Thanks 4 the share!

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Hope you all are safe; That looked cool!

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 07:03 PM
link   
It's a massive Jacob's Ladder!!!
I don't know if I would have liked to see that so close...

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:34 PM
link   

OMG..I had a dream about this last night.

I had seen this video the other night.

But last night I dreamt that this ball came towards me and zapped me by connecting through my gold jewelry I was wearing (2 gold rings).

Needless to say I have removed all my jewelry this morning.

I aint gunna get zapped by no ball of plazma..lol

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I had an electric line break onfront of my house (other side of the block).

My room lit up as if we were standing onfront of the sun!
The whole house was vibrating and the sound of the electricity was tense!

Son after they decided to shut the power of the whole city off. Me and my friends went to look at the wire and it had soldered a 3 foot hole on the ground.
The worst of it was the fact that it landed 2 feet away from a car...things could had gone alot worse...

Electricity is intense!

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   

eww that video freaked me out abit!

I worked in Montreal for 3 months and I have to say it was the strangest place i've ever been if only for the fact that I got an electric shock EVERY single time I touched something metal over there! I mean when I was in an elevator and pressed the button I would get a sore shock in my finger, when I touched a car door when exiting or entering a taxi, when I pushed a shopping cart, when i touched a metal rail or even the metal on an escalator in a store and one unfortunate time when I was given a tour of a high class restaurant whilst I was there, jeez all the metal/steel surfaces in the modern kitchen, I was terrified! My Canadian work colleague told me that it has something got to do with the electrical wiring over there, being unearthed? as opposed to where i'm from in Ireland, well i've no idea but it put me off ever wanting to live in Canada, I never understood how the same thing didn't happen me whilst I worked in America?

very odd.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 09:43 PM
link   
Edit: I've never seen a power surge like that before. Dude films it as it goes by.

I think when the sub stations detect a sudden increase in load they auto trip and cut power. Then they try to "clear the short" by sending a low power surge down the line and "blast" it clear. It could be tree branches or ice, maybe. Thats what this looked like. Usually it happens a lot quicker that that. Weird the way it travelled along the lead(s).

Might have been two lines fuzed together by ice, but I am not a lineman. Maybe one will come by and explain it.
edit on 5-11-2013 by intrptr because: changed

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 11:09 PM
link   
A blown transformer on a pole.
Happens a lot more than you would think.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

Transformers blowing don't arc along the line like that, they blow up rather impressively and loudly.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Wow...!

S/F OP.. I have never seen anything like that before. I wonder if the electric company will ever get back to him. It does look pretty wacky but I do not think I would be standing that close...!

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Wow! Just wow!
Scary stuff.
Thanks for posting OP!

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 04:14 PM
link   

The title had me giggle I was going to make some stupid comment like I saw them in Chicago in 09 but they where a better band in the 80's, but then I saw the video and have to say thanks for sharing!

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

charlyv
A blown transformer on a pole.
Happens a lot more than you would think.

canDarian
reply to post by charlyv

Transformers blowing don't arc along the line like that, they blow up rather impressively and loudly.

Perhaps you have never witnessed one go. I have, and quite a similar effect. They can start fires down-line from the pole they are on. Once the transformer blows , the lines going into them cannot contain the voltage surge, and arc between themselves, just like a jacob's ladder down to the next pole. They can also cause a chain reaction, where multiple transformers get involved.
edit on 7-11-2013 by charlyv because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
It appears several transformers blew in that video as the current moved down the lines.

I don't live in Montreal but the entire eastern part of Canada had major wind storms around this date and the EE explanation from Reddit would be viable. There were large power outages all over the Eastern Canada from this storm.
edit on 7-11-2013 by GAOTU789 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Kuroodo
I had an electric line break onfront of my house (other side of the block).

My room lit up as if we were standing onfront of the sun!
The whole house was vibrating and the sound of the electricity was tense!

Son after they decided to shut the power of the whole city off. Me and my friends went to look at the wire and it had soldered a 3 foot hole on the ground.
The worst of it was the fact that it landed 2 feet away from a car...things could had gone alot worse...

Electricity is intense!

Haha I bet you would have painted your pants brown if the power suddenly came back on lol, sure as hell wouldn't have been me.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Probably initiated by something falling on the power lines like a tree branch. Once the air is ionised it will begin arcing like that. Not sure why it travelled down the wires though instead of staying in the same place, but evidently it travelled down the line to a transformer, which then blew up. The impedance was evidently too high for it to trip protection equipment.

new topics

top topics

join