It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

NEWS: World Bank: World poverty is in retreat

page: 2
0
<< 1   >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Vorta not that I agree with sweatshops but people in Africa make a average of a $1 a day I think. Thats a huge cheap labor force that could make products on the cheap for a company.

Even people working in toy factories in China make way more then that.iF Africa can get companies to start investing more money over there it could help. Might be a place to start heck Rome wasnt built in a day.




posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by veritas93
I'm not sure about the whole atlantis nuke idea.


Relax it was in jest. I very well know that the climate and desert is cause by a number of factors and Egyptian grazing herds probablty accelorated it. LOL Maybe next time i'll have to put a sarcasm warning beforehand hehe.



posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 04:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Vorta not that I agree with sweatshops but people in Africa make a average of a $1 a day I think. Thats a huge cheap labor force that could make products on the cheap for a company.

Even people working in toy factories in China make way more then that.iF Africa can get companies to start investing more money over there it could help. Might be a place to start heck Rome wasnt built in a day.


The problem with that is that the Majority of the Africans are an ill educated, tribal tradition culture, where superstition rules.However much as I hate to say it they are not......developed to put it lightly. Even some of the launguages spoken by some tribes are said to be very similiar to what a stone age dialect would be like(all scientific speculation of course) ie I read about this launguage that was recently discovered/diciphered and the tribepeople did not have the numbers 3 and up. All they could do is count to 2. Some could count to 8 or 9 thru training, they hit a barrier cuz it was just too alien to them....



posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 05:40 AM
link   
China and India are the best examples for these undeveloped countries.

Nobody had thought 50 years ago that these two undeveloped , illetrate and poor countries of Asia in just 50 years will call themselves as future superpowers and the progress which these asian gaints are making , there is hardly any doubt they are natural powers of future.

experiences of these countries should be deeply studied and examined for the welfare of present undeveloped countries of Africa and for Asian countries like pakistan , bangaladesh .



posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 05:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by veritas93
Note that the article mentions "sub-Saharan Africa" which is almost unhabitable these days.


Err.. what are you talking about?!?!

"Sub-Saharan Africa" streches from where the Sahara ends in the south to South-Africa!!!
You might want to let all those people into the litte secret you obviously know, as they a busy tring to live there....



posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by surfup


The news isn't all good. Sub Saharan Africa continues to lag behind its European and Asian counterparts thanks to European colonization of the continent in the late 18th and 19th centuries.


This is a joke. What was Africa before european colonization? Nothing, but a bunch of canibals. No education, no states, no cities, primitive economy. At least they supressed canibalism during colonization.
BTW most African countries were in much better shape during colonization than they are today, when they are independent.



posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corinthas
Err.. what are you talking about?!?!

"Sub-Saharan Africa" streches from where the Sahara ends in the south to South-Africa!!!
You might want to let all those people into the litte secret you obviously know, as they a busy tring to live there....


You always have so much attitude and you never fail to be offensive. Take a deep breath and lay off of the sarcasm, as it is not an attractive characteristic.

Take my comment however you like, but the point stands that this problem is far more complicated than the remnants of damage done by imperialist oppressors. Africa doesn't exactly hold the most hospitable of climates and it's a very difficult place for civilization to thrive. This region is also not the most resource rich, and I'm not talking about gemstones of any kind.

Central and southern Africa have never been well organized and organization is one of the key ingredients for modern civilization as we know it. As for people trying to live there... that should be the entire point of this conversation. Many millions of people are trying to live in areas that can only support very small populations at this point in time. Sadly, it appears that many of these nations simply do not have the resources necessary to establish and maintain a functional system of governance and a healthy economy... yet. With time and a little help, Africa will eventually become contributors to the world community.

Now would you like to have an on topic conversation or would you rather just attack people?



posted on Nov, 17 2004 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by longbow
This is a joke. What was Africa before european colonization? Nothing, but a bunch of canibals. No education, no states, no cities, primitive economy. At least they supressed canibalism during colonization.
BTW most African countries were in much better shape during colonization than they are today, when they are independent.


Oh really. You are arguing that colonization was good for Africa? Killing thousands of people, carving up the nation of Africa without even their consent?

Surf



posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Emeralds are atleast 20 times more rare then Diamonds and Diamonds cost more
Only the finest most perfect grade emeralds can have the same per-carat price as diamonds.


I'm sure you know why they do thet. Its cause regular Diamonds are so hard to cut, infact you CANT cut them like you can regular emeralds(they're softer). In order to make a diamond brilliant like they always are, they gotta rub it with lower grade diamond dust. Shape diamond with diamond. I'm not too sure how long the process takes but I seem to remember from a show or news program that it can takes months just to get a single stone ready for market. Alot more man hours goes into preparing diamonds, just imagine what a $100 yellow diamond will do to this market especially if they get it to the point where it will be impossible to tell whether its a fake.



posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by sardion2000


I'm sure you know why they do thet. Its cause regular Diamonds are so hard to cut, infact you CANT cut them like you can regular emeralds(they're softer). In order to make a diamond brilliant like they always are, they gotta rub it with lower grade diamond dust. Shape diamond with diamond. I'm not too sure how long the process takes but I seem to remember from a show or news program that it can takes months just to get a single stone ready for market. Alot more man hours goes into preparing diamonds, just imagine what a $100 yellow diamond will do to this market especially if they get it to the point where it will be impossible to tell whether its a fake.


Emeralds are not really that soft on the hardness scale of 1 to 10 a diamonds being a ten a Emerald is a 8. The diamond they use to cut other diamonds in industrial and not worth much at all.

Emerald is actually one of the most difficult gemstones to cut because of the high value of the rough stone and the many inclusions found in crystals. A Emerald can take even longer to cut then a diamond.

Emeralds are very sensitive to knocks, and the famous emerald cut was developed specifically for this gem to reduce the amount of pressure during cutting.

But this is hardly the major factor on a gems base value rarity is by far the most important factor in the price of a gem. This is why a yellow diamond is worth so much more then a colorless one. Both take the same effort and man hours to cut but one is much more rare.

The only reason diamonds cost more is because Debeers controls the supply of the worlds diamonds. The cut back on the amount they release and they drive the price up.

www.gemjewel.com...



posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by surfup


Oh really. You are arguing that colonization was good for Africa? Killing thousands of people, carving up the nation of Africa without even their consent?

Surf


African tribal leaders killed also many people (Shaka Zulu for example). And yes the Africa was only one world region that profited from colonization. At least after the initial period when many blacks have been killed, the people in Africa had no need to fear for their lives and they had enough food, not like today.



posted on Nov, 18 2004 @ 06:36 PM
link   
"With the enactment of apartheid laws in 1948, racial discrimination was institutionalized. Race laws touched every aspect of social life, including a prohibition of marriage between non-whites and whites, and the sanctioning of ``white-only'' jobs."

www-cs-students.stanford.edu...

"Apartheid consisted of numerous laws that allowed the ruling white minority in South Africa to segregate, exploit and terrorize the vast majority: Africans, mostly, but also Asians and Coloureds - people of mixed race. In white-ruled South Africa, black people were denied basic human rights and political rights. Their labour was exploited, their lives segregated."

www.un.org...

Longbow, were you saying something? Because all I heard was white racist comments pointing me that you were happy with Africian colonization.

Surf



posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 01:02 AM
link   
I just said they were better during colonization than today. South Africa might be not the best example, but people in almost all ather states are suffering much more under independece than during colonization.



posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by longbow
I just said they were better during colonization than today. South Africa might be not the best example, but people in almost all ather states are suffering much more under independece than during colonization.


Could that be the results of centuries old repression and having their natural resources stripped from their land?

You can't build rome in a day or expect a culture that has been brutalized to recover even in one lifetime.



posted on Nov, 19 2004 @ 01:08 AM
link   


I just said they were better during colonization than today. South Africa might be not the best example, but people in almost all ather states are suffering much more under independece than during colonization.



How exactly was it better? You can't just say it was and expect us to believe it.

Deep



new topics

top topics



 
0
<< 1   >>

log in

join