It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do ewe get a Flu shot?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I've gotten the flu a handful of times, but never get the shot.

For me, the flu can last up to two weeks, and yes, there were times where I probably should have gone in to the doctors - if I thought I could drive myself there.

My reasoning is this - the immune system was built for a reason. Also, the rest of my family (save for my Dad), seems to get sick a lot more than myself - They take medicine at the drop of a hat, while I suffer through it.

My parents also stopped taking me to the doctor's to get shots when I was little too - But I think that's partially due to the fact that I hated needles, and wouldn't sit still long enough.

-fossilera

PS: Officially, my count for how many times I've had the flu is about 7 (got a mild version last year - barely anything worse than feeling really dizzy).

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
I've never had the flu, nor have I ever received the shot. I'm either extremely lucky or maybe I'm genetically immune, who knows?
edit on 5-11-2013 by Ragnarokkr because: wording

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Ragnarokkr

I've never had the flu, so never got the shot.

The shot is given to people who may never have had the flu, but are afraid they MIGHT. It isn't an "after-the-fact" remedy. At least not in the US.

Welcome to ATS!

I'm either extremely lucky or maybe I'm genetically immune, who knows?

Well, they're starting to get to where they're figuring it out. Genetics has a LOT to do with physiology during a lifetime. But maybe you're neither 'lucky' NOR 'genetically immune'; instead, your early upbringing and the mothering you received facilitated your immune system so that you grew 'naturally' immune).

Such as: breast-feeding,
allowing for some 'dirt' (my mom used to say that every person 'eats' a pound of dirt in their lifetime...lol),
not freaking out about 'sterilization' and 'antibacterial gels'.

...just letting a child be a child, the most natural way possible. (Aside from the early childhood shots that are standard. I'm talking about 'flu shots' here. Totally different 'animal.)

Just sayin'.

edit on 11/5/13 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Well, I had the actual flu once. And along with mono, it was up there with the sickest I have ever been in my life. I had no problems AT ALL distinguishing it from the effects of the shot.

I think given a choice between pneumonia (had that once) and the flu, I pick pneumonia.

On top of which, they gave me Symmetrel for the flu, and not only was I sick as a dog, I hallucinated worse than when I was on Lariam for a long time.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I seem to get the flu once every 10 or so years. My husband and I have different doctors, and neither one of us has ever had a flu shot suggested to us.
My doctor does check up on my vitamin D consumption in the winter.

They don't push the flu shot up here at all, from what I've seen. Health care workers are required to wear masks if they don't get the vaccine.

My son is 29, he's had the flu shot a few times. First time he and his family went in for the flu shot, his wife got sick right away for a couple of weeks, a couple of months later, both he and his 2 year old son ended up in the hospital with the flu.

Everyones different.
I don't do the shot.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   

Bedlam
reply to post by wildtimes

Well, I had the actual flu once. And along with mono, it was up there with the sickest I have ever been in my life. I had no problems AT ALL distinguishing it from the effects of the shot.

I think given a choice between pneumonia (had that once) and the flu, I pick pneumonia.

On top of which, they gave me Symmetrel for the flu, and not only was I sick as a dog, I hallucinated worse than when I was on Lariam for a long time.

Bedlam, I like the way you've handled yourself in this thread! Rock solid, no-nonsense, experience driven.

I don't think I've ever had the flu, but I was a victim of pneumonia every time (3X) I went to Fort Huachuca. Deathbed experiences have a dramatic effect on one's perspective of modern medicine. I'm not picking pneumonia over the flu ... I'm opting for neither .... sorry AZ, not visiting again!!

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by justreleased

I didn't get the shot.

Though(oh irony) I am home with the flu right now. I've had it since sunday. Will be better tomorrow (my fever finally broke) but I do not regret not getting the shot. Natural immunity, 3 days sweating it out, is far better than what the vaccne would have given me.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I do not and will not being recieving a flu shot or any other shot or even stepping foot inside a doctors office for that matter. I'm completely against that type of thing, herbal remedies and clean eating all the way

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
I don't usually get the shot, but I made an exception this year because I have very minor asthma that normally gives me no trouble. This year I pulled a very nasty case of bronchitis complicated with a secondary infection in late August. It took two courses of antibiotics to clear out, and along the way, my asthma flared up really badly and remains aggravated.

After going through that (I still have the remnants of a nagging cough), I decided that it would be better to just get the flu shot rather than have any higher risk of getting the flu than I needed to this year with my asthma already upset.

Normally, I don't bother.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 11:40 PM
link   
I have never received a flu shot, if i did i was too young to remember.
I've had the actual flu once i believe, my immune system was compromised at the time (had broken my leg). Other than that, no flu's really. I don't count stomach bugs as the flu (where you're puking frequently)

I don't seem to need it.
I'll say no to it if i'm offered it, i refused to take the H1N1, and i never got that either

edit on 5/11/13 by AzureSky because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 11:48 PM
link   
Everyone in my family that has gotten the shot has gotten sick from the shot. In three separate instances when I was getting a prescription filled in a drugstore, a lady in front of me was complaining to the staff that she got sick every time she got the shot. I didn't need any scientific basis to decide it was a bad idea. I feel bad for parents because they are probably doing it knowing their kids will get the flu from school and they are trying to protect themselves.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   

nixie_nox

Fylgje
I've never had one and neither has anyone in my family circle. I forbid it. The school which My daughter attends asked her if she had one and she told them no and they asked her if she wanted one and she said no and they said why and she said "call MY DAD". I NEVER RECEIVED THAT CALL. When you see those shots getting handed out on every corner, every store,---IT MEANS SOMETHING IS REALLY WRONG. Never trust the CDC, government (in general), and the shills who work for them.
edit on 5-11-2013 by Fylgje because: typos galore I hate my keyboard with a passion!!

Exactly why shouldn't you trust the CDC?

The shots are provided everywhere because even if you don't have the flu, you can be a carrier, and pass it to every person around you. And on a bad year, 30-55k people die, hundreds of thousands are hospitalized, and it puts a strain on infrastructure, and costs the economy billions.

Need more reasons??

Doesn't hat flu vaccine only "protect" a person from one type of flu? Every year, there are hundreds of flu's and it's impossible to tell which one will be 'the one', so, is it really even worth it, or am I wrong?

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by justreleased

Got the Flu-Mist (mandatory)....followed by 2 weeks of feeling like poop. Could only imagine what's in that.

I'd get a flu shot over the mist any day.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Fylgje

Three strains, actually, but you have a point. It's little more than a shot in the dark at a moving target, not to mention self-defeating when post-shot sicklyness is involved.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   

EllaMarina
reply to post by Fylgje

Three strains, actually, but you have a point. It's little more than a shot in the dark at a moving target, not to mention self-defeating when post-shot sicklyness is involved.

Exactly.

That's the main reason I usually don't get. That and I can count on one hand the number of times I've actually had the flu. Maybe three or four. I figure that because it doesn't always aim at the actual strain that will come through and because I usually don't get it anyhow, it's not normally necessary.

I only got it this year because my asthma is flaring up, so felt the scant extra protection might be worthwhile.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Here's the new CDC ad:

I don't often get the flu shot
But when I do
I get the flu.

Jab responsibly, my friends.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join