It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do ewe get a Flu shot?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 05:53 PM
link   

wildtimes
reply to post by opopanax

May I ask: Where (geographically) do you live?

What is it really then, if it's not 'Actual influenza'? (I'm in the USA.)

I also live in the US. "Having the flu" seems to be a catch-all term for being sick for some people. Sometimes they will even claim that antibiotics "cured" them of the "flu," which really makes no sense (antibiotics, of course, target bacteria, not viruses like influenza). People with flu-like symptoms may be suffering from anything from the common cold to gastroenteritis ("stomach flu" - not actually influenza caused by an influenza virus).

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Xcalibur254

It should be pointed out that the nasal spray uses a live virus and as a result can cause a mild case of the flu.

Yes indeed...it should be noted.

our flu shots have been preservative and thimerosal free.

And...those were a problem before? Sorry, unfamiliar with that news.

The time I got a 'mild' (NORMAL) case of the flu WAS RIGHT AFTER a shot, not nasal spray. Which, considering your post here, indicates that BOTH are liable to cause 'flu symptoms.'

So, IF people who have opted out for the last decade (since having gotten the shot and then 'the flu')

AND haven't gotten 'the flu' shot since...

have NOT gotten 'the flu'....

THEN, it's reasonable to deduce that the flu shot does not do much except "cause the patient to be injected with the bug from last year".

So, he suffers from THAT (last year's) strain of the flu, which then weakens his system so that the NOW strain of flu can get a better hold.
I dunno...I just made that up.

But, yeah. NO, I don't take flu shots.

edit on 11/5/13 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Here's my recent experience... I will NEVER get myself or anyone in my family the flu "shot" again. And after what just occured, my husband finally knows why I was so hesitant about it before... He says never again as well.
My 5 year old started kindergarten this year. He's never really been around other small children. His brother and sister are in high school, so his social skills are more geared toward older kids, as are his immunities apparently, because since he started school, he has been sick every other week. He ended up with an antibiotic resistant ear infection and it took us almost 3 weeks and 3 different antibiotics to get rid of it. This kid has NEVER had an ear infection before this.
Ok... So last Tuesday I took him for his follow-up just to verify that the infection was gone. It was! Yay... So I get to the end of the appointment and his doc says, "ya know... Since his immune system isn't really built up for school, you should really get him the flu shot..." I hesitate. We go back and forth for a little while. She makes a good argument though, and tells me that they will do the FluMist instead of the shot, and ASSURES me he won't get sick again from it.
Almost TO THE MINUTE 48 hours after he got that crap shoved up his nose, and an hour before it's time to go trick-or-treating on Halloween, he suddenly can hardly move. I feel his head. Sure enough...103 degree fever. I had to carry him to the car and him in to the dr because he was so weak. It was a different doctor at the practice and he actually admitted, after doing a work up on my son, that it was the FluMist that did it. He said there was nothing else that could cause the symptoms...they were classic flu symptoms. That doctor made me bring him in Friday and Saturday to check him and see how he was doing.
My son stopped running his fever and could finally start functioning semi-normally yesterday. NEVER AGAIN, oh...and the thing has caused him bloody noses several times over the past few days too. It's really been an awful experience. I have felt so bad watching him go through all this and I'm so angry at his regular doctor for doing that to him. I'm changing doctors ASAP!

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Baaa, yes I had mine last week. So far I had minor bruising from the needle and, well that's it. I am recommended to get it as I have ms. Last year I missed my shot by a week and got the flu waiting for the next available appointment with my local doctor. It was the worst I have ever suffered with flu so much so that I lost an incredible amount of weight over the course of 2 weeks due to not being able to eat or keep even liquids down.

I have read all the scare mongering on the internet and made my own informed choice to have it. I am ill as it is and don't want or need anything on top of that.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 05:59 PM
link   
reply to post by justreleased

No, I don't get the flu shot. They recommend I do because I am an asthmatic, but every year that I have gotten that stupid shot (and I do mean every. single. time.), I will get the flu, but it is always late in the season (Feb. or early March). I can't even begin to guess why. It's weird.

On a side note, thimersol has been largely debunked as having a link with autism. They have removed thimersol from many vaccines, and autism rates continue to go up. ( I am also on the autistic spectrum). I had to dispute that claim, but I'll say hell no on that shot.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by opopanax

"Having the flu" seems to be a catch-all term for being sick for some people. Sometimes they will even claim that antibiotics "cured" them of the "flu," which really makes no sense (antibiotics, of course, target bacteria, not viruses like influenza). People with flu-like symptoms may be suffering from anything from the common cold to gastroenteritis ("stomach flu" - not actually influenza caused by an influenza virus).

Thanks for your response!

Yes, in my upbringing, 'the flu' was vomiting, fever, malaise, chills, etc and so on....
where a "cold" was just upper respiratory. Colds don't include vomiting. But food poisoning can (from my experience and study, very rapidly, or after 2-3 days; I've experienced both) include vomiting -

I've had pneumonia twice, and do carry stress in my 'guts'.... to the point that 21 years ago I had inexplicable attacks of intense abdominal pain that caused me to have to go 'lie down'. AND bathe (as in a HOT BATH, not just 'showering, lol), to get rid of it. Gastro upset is, in my opinion, very commonly caused by the body expressing STRESS....

But, in any case. No, antibiotics won't cure the flu VIRUS. (They work on bacterial probs only.) This last statement is intended as general information on antibiotics' effectiveness, and not directed toward opoponax (who clearly understands it).

So, then, what is the REAL flu like? My brother and his kid got REALLY sick during the Swine Flu thing a couple of years ago. I had no probs at all, but I do understand it was brutal; and I know that some people died of it.

Can you point us to some info to tell "just sick" from "THE FLU"?

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   

I get the flu shot.

Just to Inform:

Formaldehyde is used to inactivate bacterial products for toxoid vaccines, (these are vaccines that use an inactive bacterial toxin to produce immunity.) It is also used to kill unwanted viruses and bacteria that might contaminate the vaccine during production. Most formaldehyde is removed from the vaccine before it is packaged.

www.cdc.gov...

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   

wildtimes

I think it is a little different for everyone. I don't usually get nausea and vomiting but some people do. A high fever and oh... the body aches (I can't even stand the sheets touching my skin) seem to be the most common symptoms. Generally speaking in my experience if you had a fever and body aches, it knocked you on your rear for at least a week, and at some point in there you were pretty sure you were gonna die... it was probably the flu. The last time I had it (yes I got that stupid shot), I lived on my couch for three days, and when I did get up my legs were shaking so badly I had to hang onto the wall to get to the bathroom. Not the most dignified I have ever been. The best way to know for sure is to have them test for it though (which my husband generally drags me in to do if I say it's the flu because I am an asthmatic and he is paranoid). A google search can tell you quite a bit, but even the flu can be pretty subjective apparently.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by redhorse

Generally speaking in my experience if you had a fever and body aches, it knocked you on your rear for at least a week, and at some point in there you were pretty sure you were gonna die... it was probably the flu.
Yes. I've suffered through that perhaps 3 or 4 times in my life. Nothing but chicken broth, saltines, Seven-Up, and a bucket beside the bed for DAYS....sweats, chills, aches/pains..... It was called 'the flu'. Yup, thought I might die.

Granted, the 'version' imported with 'the shot' was milder, but it was still "THE FLU."

Anyway, no. I won't get the shot anymore.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I haven't had a flu shot since I was a kid. I may change my mind as I get older, more vulnerable, but my current belief is to let my body do what it was designed to do.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I get the flu shot.

I don't get the flu.

Conspiracy.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   

I see what y' did thur.

ewe as in a sheep.

No I haven't took a mercury/formaldehyde supplement yet.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Hell, yes, I do. And it doesn't make me sick. And I don't get the flu. Wow, amazing.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 07:34 PM
link   

nixie_nox
People always think they get the flu and don't. The flu is a serious illness that hospitalizes many. If you can talk on the phone, text, play on the computer, etc., you don't have the flu.

Unless you went to the hospital or your doctor and had a test to confirm, you don't know what you had, and are being completely irresponsible.
edit on 5-11-2013 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

Absolutely right!!

For all of you who refuse ... Come back and tell us how wonderful your experience was watching your kids on the brink of death ... Because a conspiracy scared you.

Yes ... Some people will have a dramatic and negative reaction to the vaccine. When you see that happen ... Please come back to this thread and name the person so we can REALLY understand the rate of incidence.

ETA: Healthcare professional here. I got my flu shot a couple of months back, as required, and I'm still posting.

This stuff is serious business ... and people shouldn't be made afraid where their real health is concerned. NOBODY in today's healthcare environment is trying to harm the masses. Just stop already.

edit on 5112013 by Snarl because: ETA

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

wildtimes

Swab to the nose! It's easy. Takes about 15 minutes to result.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

Okay, thanks.

That established, I have to remind everyone that EVERY PERSON IS DIFFERENT. If some people 'get the flu' from getting 'the flu shot' (as I did), and others get the shot, and NEVER get the flu, all, in my mind, that really proves is what medicine has been saying for YEARS:

EVERY PERSON RESPONDS DIFFERENTLY. This is the case with every med or treatment (like anesthesia) that is administered. Also the case with diseases, illnesses, cancers, etc etc.

NO TWO CASES are exactly alike.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

It's really hard to say and depends on what you believe. Personally I'm generally against them and have been since I moved out of my parents house. I personally think their is some bad stuff in them and I haven't had the flu since I stopped getting vaccinated which leads me to believe it can actually cause the flu somehow. My mom's a nurse though and she gets them every year and she as far as I know doesn't get the flu every year so it's really hard to say.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   

wildtimes

If some people 'get the flu' from getting 'the flu shot' (as I did), and others get the shot, and NEVER get the flu, all, in my mind, that really proves is what medicine has been saying for YEARS:

EVERY PERSON RESPONDS DIFFERENTLY.

Vaccines often cause transitory immune reactions. If you're in your 20's, it can be pretty miserable for a day or so. That doesn't mean you "got the flu", it does tell you that you probably seroconverted right away.

Back when I used to get immunizations en masse in the Army, they'd make me sick as a dog. I didn't actually catch dengue, yellow fever, smallpox, rabies, tetanus, or the epizoodix, but I often felt as if I had, for two or three days.

It's your immune system going nuts thinking you're being overwhelmed. It releases cytokines in response and they make you feel like hammered #. But it's not an infection by what you just received. It's a generic "OMFG! Retaliate!" response. You're designed to hole up somewhere and rest in response, in order to conserve energy while your body fights off the infection. Or, in the Army, you go run 10 miles and puke like a goat because you're miserable and running a fever.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Every year for the last decade, except for one year when I got the LAIV instead. Everyone I work with, too. Amazingly, no one got the flu. I guess they gave us the real vaccine while they shipped the devious flu-causing flu vaccine to everyone else. Or maybe I just exist in some kind of weird mathematical pocket universe where statistical probabilities are generally true but anecdotes from the internet do not generalize to large populations very well. Who knows?

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Bedlam

It's your immune system going nuts thinking you're being overwhelmed. It releases cytokines in response and they make you feel like hammered #. But it's not an infection by what you just received. It's a generic "OMFG! Retaliate!" response. You're designed to hole up somewhere and rest in response, in order to conserve energy while your body fights off the infection. Or, in the Army, you go run 10 miles and puke like a goat because you're miserable and running a fever.

LOL!!!

Anyway, yes. I get what you're talking about. My husband is a veteran and had all those 'going abroad' shots, too.

Still......how is 'the actual flu' worse if you've not been immunized? I understand completely how it's your immune system reacting. But....why do people who don't get the shot NOT get ANY flu-ish symptoms, where those who do get the shot suffer from symptoms?

Really, I understand the biology of it; the theory behind vaccination. I do. But, it still doesn't explain how people respond differently, and that those who DON'T get the shot may actually have the season easier than those who DO.

I'm getting tired...sorry if this makes no sense.
~wt

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join