It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do ewe get a Flu shot?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   

DustbowlDebutante
reply to post by justreleased

No flu shot for me, thanks. I'm not so much protesting the shot's chemical make-up, as I am tired of getting the flu each year that I DO get the shot.

If I don't get the shot, I don't get the flu. I know that sounds strange, but every time I have gotten the shot in my adult life, I have gotten the flu.

People always think they get the flu and don't. The flu is a serious illness that hospitalizes many. If you can talk on the phone, text, play on the computer, etc., you don't have the flu.

Unless you went to the hospital or your doctor and had a test to confirm, you don't know what you had, and are being completely irresponsible.
edit on 5-11-2013 by nixie_nox because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Xquizit
Had it the first year it came out in the late 90's and was sick ALL winter. Haven't had it since. Got the flu once in 16 years. I work in health care and discourage people from getting it unless they are geriatric.

And you should be fired immediately for abusing your position to put people at risk.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I've been having it for the last few years. Can't say I've noticed any side effects.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Fylgje
I've never had one and neither has anyone in my family circle. I forbid it. The school which My daughter attends asked her if she had one and she told them no and they asked her if she wanted one and she said no and they said why and she said "call MY DAD". I NEVER RECEIVED THAT CALL. When you see those shots getting handed out on every corner, every store,---IT MEANS SOMETHING IS REALLY WRONG. Never trust the CDC, government (in general), and the shills who work for them.
edit on 5-11-2013 by Fylgje because: typos galore I hate my keyboard with a passion!!

Exactly why shouldn't you trust the CDC?

The shots are provided everywhere because even if you don't have the flu, you can be a carrier, and pass it to every person around you. And on a bad year, 30-55k people die, hundreds of thousands are hospitalized, and it puts a strain on infrastructure, and costs the economy billions.

Need more reasons??

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Exactly. I am young and healthy, so I really see no need to get it. If I get the flu, I will survive it. As another poster above said, it should be taken based upon NEED.

My mom is immuno-compromised due to having a sizeable chunk of her immune system removed in the form of all of the lymphnodes in her left side due to cancer. Obviously she NEEDS the flu and pneumonia shot, because she cannot fight illness as well as a healthy adult.

Even when we had to live in hospitals for nearly three months last winter, none of us had gotten the flu shot and none of us caught anything while we were staying there. Of course, the flu didn't scare me near as much as the patient next door to us whose room was on lock-down due to the person having MRSA or some such superbug!

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

whats to say the shot isn't for something that cant be made public and dis info is there so people
don't have/know about it/ ?

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

Actually, a few years ago, when my son was small, we both went to the health dept in November and both got the shot.

I got the flu in March. I did have the test and it came back positive. I was bedfast for two weeks and family had to come take care of me and my son, as I was a single mom at that time.

I'm not trying to tell folks not to take it. The OP said this is a "poll" and I gave my truthful answer. I will not be getting the shot this year. I took the shot when I was in my first year of grad school (2001) and again when my son was still very small (2007) and both times, I contracted the flu and was very ill. Simple as that. Every year that I did not take the flu shot, I breezed thru winter just fine.

I'm not anti-vaccine completely or anything like that (I vaccinate my kid for the big illnesses that kill kids). I just don't feel like the flu vaccine is very effective because the people who make these vaccines are trying to predict what strain of flu is going to be the big one for that flu season. And we all know how trustworthy predictions are. If they were trustworthy, the world should have ended by now. If you don't believe me, just go scroll through the predictions forum.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I won't get the flu shot, I have a severe reaction to them. My reaction is actually similar to the flu. I'm not getting a dtap anymore either, the last one gave me a lot of congestion. Maybe the dt shot would be alright. The doctor shouldn't have even given me the dtap, it is listed that anyone with epilepsy shouldn't have one. He knew about my epilepsy, I had just talked to him about being allergic to all the epilepsy drugs and had learned to control it with foods. Don't they make a straight tetnus shot anymore?

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

I don't get the shot just because of personal reasons. I have no knowledge of what is in the shot and what isn't nor do I base my decision on that.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   

No, natta, absolutely not. Although my doctor always tries to talk me into getting the shot, I would rather build my own immune system up and fight it on my own. I don't need all those questionable chemicals in my body. Heck we get enough chemical from all the preservatives in the food we eat everyday.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 04:38 PM
link   

justreleased
If you get the shot or not it's your choice. Either way you should know of the consequences.

I got the flu jab. Unlike the sheep who follow the unscientifically proven belief that vaccines are bad. I know the consequences of vaccinations. I have travelled the world and seen the consequences of disease, unlike many people who chose to form their worldview around YouTube and niche blogs who cannot and do not show evidence. Best sit in your armchairs watching telly.

To the OP. You never took chemistry at school, did you. Think about the chemicals cited in the OP, the amounts and the background amounts in nature.

Regards

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 04:50 PM
link   

mblahnikluver

I won't get the shot. I haven't had the flu since i was a kid.

Everyone I know who gets the shot GETS the flu, SOOOO what is the point?

I had a friend where I use to live that had to get the shot because he was military and he would be miserable for about 2 wks because of it. He always dreaded getting the shot but they had to get it, well it wasn't a shot for him it was a nasal version for the military. He hated it.

Everytime i go to the doctor I have to remind them NO I don't want the shot and NO I don't want my son to have it either.

I have a friend who complains every year when her son gets the flu. She gets him the shot. I am like ok then STOP giving him the shot!

Are you actually putting the basis of the security and well being of your child on what your "friends said"???

Are your friends, doctors, nurses, and epidemiologists?

"I don't git mah floo shot cuz mah frends tells me that it gives me that dang floo! derp derp derp"

Yea, I would dump any hopes of your child getting into Cal Tech if that is the line of critical thinking you use.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 04:57 PM
link   

NO WAY! Nope. Not happenin'. The ONLY time I did, probably 10-15 years ago, I got THE FLU.

My body works fine..... and I haven't been sick SINCE! The bugs mutate so fast that even this year's shot is obsolete already.... so.... yeah, it's a rip-off pharma scam.....

erm....strangely much like technology?

I still use a 'clamshell flip phone' without internet access......it works, but my phone is not "the flu".
I have avoided flu shots....last year my pharmacist tried pushing it, and I said, "No. Thanks. I won't." She said, "Well, I guess you're not going to change your mind." To which I replied, "Nope. No way."

No way. Nope! Nuh-uh.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   

All I can speak from is experience. This is my second flu season working in a pharmacy. For both years our flu shots have been preservative and thimerosal free.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
So I can get a jab that will give me flu symptoms that last for ten days on the off chance that I can prevent 14 days of flu?

Ummmm.....

No.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Tsu322
So I can get a jab that will give me flu symptoms that last for ten days on the off chance that I can prevent 14 days of flu?

Ummmm.....

No.

That's completely your choice. In past years when I've received a seasonal flu vaccine, the only side effect I noticed was a sore arm that lasted maybe 2 days. Usually the adverse effects aren't that bad compared to the disease itself. Actual influenza can be a lot more serious than what most people colloquially call "the flu," which is often something else entirely. It's not just feeling a tad bit lousy; it can hospitalize and kill. Unfortunately the vaccine is far from 100% effective and can indeed cause side effects, but for some (not all!), the potential benefits outweigh the risks.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 05:27 PM
link   

edit on 5-11-2013 by superman2012 because: 2nd thoughts and no need to drag myself down to that level

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

nixie_nox

DustbowlDebutante

No flu shot for me, thanks. I'm not so much protesting the shot's chemical make-up, as I am tired of getting the flu each year that I DO get the shot.

If I don't get the shot, I don't get the flu. I know that sounds strange, but every time I have gotten the shot in my adult life, I have gotten the flu.

People always think they get the flu and don't. The flu is a serious illness that hospitalizes many. If you can talk on the phone, text, play on the computer, etc., you don't have the flu.

Unless you went to the hospital or your doctor and had a test to confirm, you don't know what you had, and are being completely irresponsible.

Perhaps you need to read up a bit. Here is a link to the CDC.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

It should be pointed out that the nasal spray uses a live virus and as a result can cause a mild case of the flu. The shot itself uses a dead virus and cannot cause the flu.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by opopanax

Wait. Tsu322 said this:

Ummmm.....

No.

And I agree completely.

Here is what YOU said, opopanax:

In past years when I've received a seasonal flu vaccine, the only side effect I noticed was a sore arm that lasted maybe 2 days. Usually the adverse effects aren't that bad compared to the disease itself. Actual influenza can be a lot more serious than what most people colloquially call "the flu," which is often something else entirely. It's not just feeling a tad bit lousy; it can hospitalize and kill. Unfortunately the vaccine is far from 100% effective and can indeed cause side effects, but for some (not all!), the potential benefits outweigh the risks.

May I ask: Where (geographically) do you live?

What is it really then, if it's not 'Actual influenza'? (I'm in the USA.)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join