It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun rights groups (join ACLU) and go after NSA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
You don't see something like this everyday, the NRA and other pro-gun groups joining forces with the ACLU against the NSA. Very nice. Looks like folks with differing points of view can agree on things after all.

Gun rights groups go after NSA

Gun rights groups are throwing their weight behind efforts on Capitol Hill to rein in the National Security Agency (NSA).

The National Rifle Association (NRA) is among a number of groups that have signed on to an American Civil Liberties Union (ACLU) lawsuit against the secretive government agency.

The NRA has also endorsed bipartisan legislation proposed by House and Senate Judiciary committees that would end the NSA’s collection of bulk phone records.

Gun groups fear the NSA could have the authority under a section of the PATRIOT Act to collect information that could be used to create a federal gun database. They also fear the government could be spying on, or eventually targeting, gun owners.

The NSA reform push has blurred the usual political lines in Congress, uniting liberals and Tea Party Republicans, and made for strange bedfellows on the advocacy side. The ACLU said it sought out gun rights advocates to bolster their cause.

“I reached out to [the NRA] because I didn’t think they were aware of it, and they weren’t,” said Laura Murphy, the ACLU head lobbyist in its Washington office. Murphy said she showed the group FBI training manuals on how to collect firearm records.

“If we’re working with an organization and we can agree on one narrow principled objective, even if we disagree 90 percent of the time, we’ll find a way to work together. … [W]hen it comes to developing strategic alliances, both of our organizations are very sophisticated,” Murphy said.

Always good to see diverse groups in America working together. Congress needs to continue the cooperation and rollback the NSA's overreach. Maybe there's still hope.
edit on 848pm2727pm12013 by Bassago because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
The NRA and the ACLU should have been partners all along on the issue of gun control, but the way I see it, the ACLU has always been kind of picky about what liberties they like to support.

I am glad to see that they approached the NRA on this one, congrats to them for supporting our liberty.

edit on 5-11-2013 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

join