It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cannibalism in Syria Causing Brain Disease Kuru - Contagious and Always Deadly

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Thecakeisalie
How do the the reporters know it's Kuru? I call bunk.

IT IS NOT CONTAGIOUS. Since cannibalism was outlawed in PNG, The number of Kuru cases has dropped dramatically. The disease is Transmissible, not contagious.

You are completely correct......

Transmission of Kuru disease is from either ingesting the Prion or through prion contact through sub-cutaneous part of skin.....ie open wounds or sores...

Actually a nasty little thing to get....bit like CJD...... There are however some people whom are genetically able to cope with it.......

Starts to sound more like a Zombie film the more I think about it.....

Regards

PDUK

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Guess I was sleeping. Absolutely right. Infectious but NOT contagious.

Missed that bit.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   

signalfire

While you can get some nerve tissue exposure by eating the heart of your enemy, it's actually eating the brains that causes the most risk. What is kuru doing in Syria? That's like finding malaria in Alaska.

I remember, there was a video of a Free Syrian Army soldier cutting out the heart of an enemy and eating it raw... I have never seen this video nor do I want to see.
It was circulating on facebook and other social media. I found a link, I hope it is safe since it is from CNN I did not look at it
edition.cnn.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 09:48 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Do you spend all day looking for this stuff?

Zombieland - Indeed.

(bad, but God forgives me, tee-hee)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Are Prions Contagious? ...YES!

Ooops again! Saw your sig - then remembered my own research. Duh. ...The official position is that prions and prion diseases are NOT contagious - just infectious and transmissible - that is, they need to be ingested or enter the bloodstream subcutaneously (through a cut or open sore), or inherited. Wrong.

Prions are airborne - and also, can enter the human body through unbroken skin.

ATS: Mad Cow Disease Agent Can Infect Via the Air

Prions That Cause Mad Cow Disease Can Spread Through Air

Prions, the agents that cause bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE or mad cow disease) and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, can spread through the air and induce infection, according to new research led by the University of Zurich; a discovery that may come as a great surprise to many, because until now it was thought airborne prions were harmless.

Several cell types found on the human skin, including keratinocytes, fibroblasts and lymphocytes, are susceptible to the abnormal infective isoform of the prion protein, which transforms the skin to produce a potential target for prion infection. ...Animal prion infections, such as scrapie (sheep) and "mad cow disease" (cattle), have shown a pattern of horizontal transmission in farm conditions and several ectoparasites have been shown to harbor prion rods in laboratory experiments. Fly larvae and mites were exposed to brain-infected material and were readily able to transmit scrapie to hamsters. New lines of evidence have confirmed that adult flies are also able to express prion proteins. ...ectoparasites could eventually act as reservoirs and/or vectors for prion diseases.

Int J Dermatol. 2003 Jun;42(6):425-9. Could ectoparasites act as vectors for prion diseases? Lupi O. Center for Vaccine Development, University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, Galveston, TX, USA. PMID: 12786866

So watcha think? Did some fool weaponize Kuru?

edit on 7/11/13 by soficrow because: tinker

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Sorry. I withdraw my support. Please see my post above.

Thanks, sofi

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Big oil will stop at nothing to get us involved in Syria. Now it will be to prevent a ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE. No alarm however regarding the Saudi's aquiring "nookler" weapons?

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   

FyreByrd
Do you spend all day looking for this stuff?

I have health issues so I'm stuck home now. So yes, ATS helps me keep my mind off
the health issues for a while during the day. I try to find strange stuff to talk about
so it'll keep my mind busy and out of 'dark depressed places'.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

It's wild, isn't it? There is absolute evidence that people are eating human brains there.
It can't be denied. It's not a massive outbreak of brain eaters, but it's there.
And considering how diseases can change and spread ....
ZOMBIELAND starts in Syria ....
Anyone want to head to Bill Murrays house and eat Twinkies??

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   

If the current outbreak is caused only by cannibalism, then the 'brain-eating' practice dates back half a century or so - it usually takes that long for the disease to manifest. So I'd like to know the ages of these alleged 8-20 victims/patients. imho - the brain-eating focus smacks of manipulation. This line caught my attention, "Cannibalism is not beyond the nature of the Muslim rebels."

While I'm not really sympathetic to the idea that one can acquire characteristics by eating the flesh of those one admires, I do kind of understand why some cultures might do it - and don't have a huge revulsion. At the same time, I'm absolutely horrified at the idea of one human killing another for food. "Interesting," I think as I step outside myself.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Lolliek
"How To Serve Man". Sorry, but someone was bound to say it.

Anyhoo, if I remember correctly Aids was once attributed to eating monkey brains. Could this Kuru have a less sinister origin?

The story I heard about AIDS and monkeys was it came from people having sex with monkeys (as repulsive as eating the brains!) I think this is because there is a AIDS-LIKE disease that monkeys get.
On the human head thing, I didn't see it but being trained in firefighting we were taught that a human head usually blows up (not violently but enough to make snacking impossible) when it is subjected to a fire for a prolonged time so hopefully it is a fake?
Oh, one more thing... bacon isn't ungodly, it is food from the GODS! Natures candy!

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Hello Flyers Fan, I believe that the Kuru fell to what we would call "mad cow disease" or spongiform encephalopathy

And thias is what happened when the Kuru had a kin die the family usually ate them ..... and thsi spread the disease through the tribe

This disease is not a bacteria or virus but a rogue protien called a "prion"

check out Mad cow news and research

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 11:57 PM
link   

FlyersFan
** The original story is in Arabic. It has been translated at this site. The story is being carried by Zaman al-Wasal (Arabic News) and substantiated by Orient News Television. I have no idea if those are credible news sources or not. Links to both those sites are at the story link below.

Cannibalism in Syria Causing Extremely Rare Disease

Two of the infected were sent from Syria to a hosptial in Ghazi Antab in Turkey for further examination to only be transferred to another hospital in Germany. One of the two already died, since Kuru is 100% fatal. ... One of the infected men in the German hospital was confirmed to have eaten human flesh, and he eventually died. When the Turkish hospital was asked on the details of the cannibalism case, they refrained from saying anything.

Moreover, the Free Syrian Army said they will be doing an investigation on the cannibalism case, and this sparks a hunch as to what their intentions are behind this.

Overall, there are 8 to 20 cases of Kuru in Syria; Kuru strictly is caused by cannibalism, and cannibalism was involved from the report on what took place in the German hospital.

It is unclear as to why they are eating peoples brains. (you have to eat the brain of a person to get the disease through cannibalism) It could be because they are hungry, but it also could be a ritual of eating the flesh of the enemy. That can be found throughout history. The author sites other times that cannibalism has been in Islamic history. Or maybe they are evil. Or maybe just insane.

There are stories and videos online to back up this cannibalism story.
But honestly ... they are pretty yukky and I didn't want to provide links.
If anyone wants to read them .... you can google them up, jiffy-quick.

Information on Kuru Disease
More information - incubation time is VERY long
Is Kuru Contagious ... answer "YES"

edit on 11/5/2013 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

So these victims should have committed cannibalism 5 to 20 years ago roughly. As well, once they started with symptoms they would have a year give or take before death.

I don't understand this article, it is incurable yes, contagious yeah in certain circumstances, how ever it seems to be pretty much localized in the new guinee area of the world. How it would have magically became a disease caught in Syria I dunno, maybe they have a bunch of Papua New Guine immigrants they have been eating.

just saying. I read your information and came up with this.

From your wiki article

"Transmission

In 1961, Australian Michael Alpers conducted extensive field studies among the Fore accompanied by anthropologist Shirley Lindenbaum.[11] Their historical research suggested that the epidemic may have originated around 1900 from a single individual who lived on the edge of Fore territory and who is thought to have spontaneously developed some form of Creutzfeldt-Jakob Disease (CJD).[12] Alpers and Lindenbaum's research conclusively demonstrated that kuru spread easily and rapidly in the Fore people due to their endocannibalistic funeral practices, in which relatives consumed the bodies of the deceased to return the "life force" of the deceased to the hamlet, a Fore societal subunit.[13] The dysmorphism evident in the infection rates — kuru was 8 to 9 times more prevalent in women and children than in men at its peak — is because, while the men of the village took the choice cuts, the women and children would eat the rest of the body, including the brain, where the prion particles were particularly concentrated. There is also the strong possibility that it was passed on to women and children more easily because they took on the task of cleaning relatives after death and may have had open sores and cuts on their hands.[2] Although ingestion itself of the prion particles can lead to the disease,[14] there was a high degree of transmission if the prion particles could reach the subcutaneous tissue. With elimination of cannibalism because of Australian colonial law enforcement and the local Christian missionaries' efforts, Alpers' research showed that Kuru was already declining among the Fore by the mid‑1960s, although cases continued to appear for several more decades and the last sufferer died in 2005.[11] However, the mean incubation period of the disease is 14 years, and cases were reported with latencies of 40 years or more for those who were most genetically resilient."

Last known sufferer of the disease died in 2005 with no new cases reported. It is caught only by coming in contact with or eating those that have the disease. So again... WTF? I call BS
edit on 8-11-2013 by Hijinx because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2015 @ 03:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

The link I gave shows that eating humans has been part of a ritual over there .... a dark ritual that isn't talked about .... and the information I gave shows the college folks in Egypt (I think it's Egypt) saying it's okay for Muslims to eat the dead bodies of their enemies.

Unless this is all a hoax .... and I really hope it is ....

No it is not a hoax as I just watched a few video`s of the slaughter houses from a year or so ago (I wont directly link the page with the vids publicly) , which shows beheaded men hung upside down like cattle in one of the slaughter houses, their heads lined up along the wall to drain all the blood out, another shows the butcher room with all the assorted body parts on a large S/steel bench.

Your also right about University in Egypt where an Islamic scholar condones it.

Non Muslim, fighting enemies apostates and adulterers are said to be fair game.

Satanic cult!

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join