It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rand Paul faces another plagiarism claim

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Huh, so what's your point? It has been proven that MLK was a plagiarist, it is not just an accusation in his case. So, what should we make of that?

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I see what your saying Wrabbit but let me just mention a couple things. There is no possible way a Senator in today's America can write everything for every speech and point they make, it's just impossible unless you're a masochist or have nothing else in your life to attend too. While I do think the higher road would have been to take personal responsibility, the reality is that some of the infractions are probably the work of staff writers.

Plagiarism is a tricky thing, it doesn't quite mean the same thing on the Senate floor as it does in a college classroom when you're handing in a term paper and while I won't make excuses for Rand, I think at least a couple of the examples of plagiarism he is accused of have been grossly taken out of context by unscrupulous people.

Don't forget his filibuster to force the Obama administration to admit they didn't have the right to kill Americans with drones on American soil. He talked for quite along time and those words were all his. By all means, cast a strong eye of disdain for what happened and see if now the problems have been brought to light they can be corrected in his camp. I would implore you to not completely give up on him, despite his mistakes, I believe him to be a man with integrity and with Americans best interests in mind.
edit on 7-11-2013 by Helious because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   

jimmyx

pyramid head
reply to post by Indigo5

Soooo let me sum this up, you're morally "outraged" over the plagiarizing by a senators staff, but OK with murder, and treason has long as its committed by a Democrat. It is so depressing coming on this site sometimes and seeing lemmings like yourself cheering the establishment. Its is so sad, you could literally do 5 minutes of reading by googling the federal reserve and become educated. Some people are meant to be slaves though, its human nature I guess. Keep cheering on the big bank thieves and murders though.

no..i'm outraged that he didn't even bother to check...he assumed...if he assumed that those speeches were original, what other crap has he been fed that he didn't check or verify, and assumed to be correct.

and about your own critical thinking skills, why would you bring up a particular political connection to crimes of murder, and treason??...maybe you might want to actually check that yourself, to verify if it's true of false, like rand paul should have done.

Its shocking to me with all of the corruption going on with all of the politicians, this is the one that "outrages" you. Youre really going to defend the current administration and say murder and treason is not going on? That is delusional and laughable. Plagiarism is the least of my worries, he could claim he gave Lincolns address for all I care.

He addresses the fact we are owned by foreign banks, that is what is important. Like a thoughtless sheep though you are easily led away. Ill wait for the father of lies obozo and biden who did the same thing step down from office before I start wanting Rands head on a plate.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
reply to post by Helious

Well, I do appreciate your position. Personally, I'm not forgiving on this. Not even the tiniest bit. I can't and won't be. Ever. All may do it...or some may do it. I don't know and I'll be as vocal about their cases being run to the end too, if caught and proven...even one clear time.

In this case though? Rand was already causing me to wonder. His publicity stunt with the filibuster didn't impress me because it accomplished absolutely nothing. They never do, and he knew it before he did it. He's been in politics long enough to know, the only thing that DID do was give him a bullet point on a campaign flyer for "What I've done for you recently".

He could redeem himself ...by taking a BIG fall on his own sword to take complete, total and PERSONAL responsibility. Even if he didn't directly do it, his people did and his own voice spoke some of the words. The book, supposedly written by him, wrote it in black and white for all to see. He need not resign, as that unconditional public acceptance would largely negate what this has done, including his weasel reaction to it.

The argument that ..others do it too...though, is moral relativism to justify unethical behavior. Others are scumbags too, and they didn't have my vote BEFORE this. He may well have ..because I hadn't written him off as 'no worse than the others'. Now I have...and he'll never see a bit of support from me on anything, whatsoever ..without that public acceptance of fault and total to himself.

(post by eLPresidente removed for a manners violation)

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 05:46 AM
link   
reply to post by nwtrucker

So, the left are a pathetic bunch? If a member of the left was shown to have possibly plagiarized material as often as Rand Paul has been suspected of, the Tea Party would demand impeachment proceedings be started.

I personally am not part of the left or the right, they both carry their issues to such an extreme that they can no longer have a rational, factual discussion about what is really happenning to the people of this country, or to the country itself.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   

eLPresidente

This is all less about plagiarism and more about Rand Paul as a successful Republican politician and frontrunner for the Republican Party in 2016.

It's about BOTH.

It speaks to both the moral bankruptcy of Rand Paul and the void of any original, independent thought amongst the far right's current "leaders" in DC.

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I'm sure if someone dug deep enough they could find plagiarism claims against Obama too, or anyone else. They must be scared of Rand and this is a way to discredit what he brings to D.C..

posted on Nov, 11 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   

pyramid head
reply to post by Indigo5

Soooo let me sum this up, you're morally "outraged" over the plagiarizing by a senators staff,

No...In order to be morally outraged, you first have to have a moral expectation and I have long seen Rand Paul as a poser, exploiting his fathers popularity, willing to say and do anything to advance his greedy ambitions. Wether you think cutting and pasting others works and publishing them in a newspaper as your own Op-Ed is moral or not is entirely up to you.

pyramid head
but OK with murder, and treason

I missed that part of my OP? Where did I say I was a fan of murder and treason?

These kinds of desperate retorts of ...So and So did something too!...fails on logical grounds.

posted on Nov, 13 2013 @ 04:28 AM
link   

JohnnyCanuck

nwtrucker
What a pathetic bunch the left is. Every politician who reads from a teleprompter is reading someone else's writing. They all have speech writers, some very talented, and few ideas are really "new".
Perhaps...but the speech writers are paid to produce. Plagiarism...taking someone else's words as your own without attributing their source...is theft. And you don't have to be a leftie to recognise that.

Just have a little education under your cap.

And I bet you don't have a torrent client on your computer, eh?

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join