It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rand Paul faces another plagiarism claim

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Well, I haven't read the whole thread, and have no concern for the Off-Topic drama I did see. I do want to mention this though. With a quote out of his latest headline running .......

Senator Rand Paul of Kentucky acknowledged Tuesday that “mistakes” in his office had caused unattributed writing by others to appear in his own work and announced that he was instituting safeguards to prevent such breaches from happening again.
Source

Is he KIDDING? He thinks "mistakes in my office" ..oops.. is going to cut it???? Maybe it's the college student in me, getting a small lecture on Plagiarism each semester, from each new course I take and sometimes, another in one of the same courses later in the semester. Maybe it's the natural writer in me. Some may have noticed, I'm a bit wordy from time to time. (Rarely..but it's happened once or twice. (-innocent smile-)

Whatever it is, I'm sorry, but that's that and I've got absolutely NO use for the man now, or ever, for that matter.

His Office? REALLY?! So he just admitted he doesn't write or even think up any of his own stuff?? Is it THAT challenging to his noodle? I write pages on stories I merely find interesting, and Rand's a SENATOR, not a President. Yet, even Obama doesn't Plagiarize. (IF he ever DID ..even a couple sentences... The number of people surely running every speech through checkers, looking for a Gotcha, would be heard from the Moon!)

I wouldn't give Rand Paul a vote for dog catcher. In the professional world, in my opinion, there isn't much lower than that. Heck, even stealing isn't quite that low. There is understandable motive in a thief. This is stealing others thoughts because you either think you're really THAT important with time THAT valuable to not work it personally ...... or one hasn't got the horsepower with the brainpower to produce their OWN material.

Nope. Wouldn't vote him for dog catcher. The poor mutts deserve an intellectually honest catcher.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   

nwtrucker
reply to post by Indigo5

What a pathetic bunch the left is. Every politician who reads from a teleprompter is reading someone else's writing. They all have speech writers, some very talented, and few ideas are really "new".

They can't argue his facts so it's down to this new low.

Message causing fear? Hit the messenger.

Pure slime.

Plagiarism is a pretty serious accusation; while it's not a legal crime, it is an academic one, and as such greatly damages ones credibility and reputation. I think Paul supporters want to like Rand because he is related to Ron and parrots him on some issues. The signs, however, seem to point to Rand being another typical Politician, and a thief at that. He is not worth defending.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by DestroyDestroyDestroy

You have it 100% for why I have really been hoping Rand would turn out to be good. I went and heard Dr. Paul speak when he was in this area and I took a short seminar by his people on the county level workings of the political system in practical, real world terms. All good people and Dr. Paul was pretty impressive to hear in person.

Rand seems to prove the Apple does fall pretty far from the tree sometimes though, an this one got pretty rotten right before our very eyes.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I see this somewhat differently than a lot of folks.. All of these politicians are using other peoples words to relay a message.

Perhaps because the way it is worded really gets that message across. Like when a songwriter writes a new tune that everyone starts singing or humming to, are they also plagiarizing?

These politicians are just taking a shortcut to relay a message and doing it with the intent of being as efficient as possible.. But is this right and acceptable because of preconceived notions of plagiarizing rules? I would say it is irrelevant as long as they aren't making money from it..

I am surprised that someone like Rand would let something like this continue without any predefined rules about using other peoples stuff, but then 85% of past politicians have been caught doing the same thing...
edit on 6-11-2013 by alienreality because: added

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

The other day, I fell across a copy of a 10 page article I wrote on another website, no citation and no source location. I mentioned that I written the article, they added my source and citation, I said thanks, they said thanks, no problem. I guess some of us can play nicely because it's about truth, not deception and lies so prevalent in politics. I guess in the case of Rand Paul, it's all about money and political point spreads. It just seems like the left side of the same coin is accusing the right side of doing the same thing the left side does. It's almost like your left hand accusing your right hand of jerking you off, when your left hand did it the night before. Smoke and mirrors, and more stupidity from the meat-puppets of the elite 'n depraved overlords.

Has anyone every bothered to examine all the plagiarism from both the left and the right? How many times does the Obama unit steal a phrase or complete paragraph while he drools in front of a teleprompter. People who live in glass houses, tend to get cut a lot during earthquakes...

Cheers - Dave
edit on 11/6.2013 by bobs_uruncle because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000

You have it 100% for why I have really been hoping Rand would turn out to be good. I went and heard Dr. Paul speak when he was in this area and I took a short seminar by his people on the county level workings of the political system in practical, real world terms. All good people and Dr. Paul was pretty impressive to hear in person.

Rand seems to prove the Apple does fall pretty far from the tree sometimes though, an this one got pretty rotten right before our very eyes.

I differ ideologically from RON Paul, but always listened to him intently and respected him. He was honest, intelligent and often offered original ideas. AND what always stuck with me, what always garnered respect from me...is that he wasn't afraid to speak "his truth"...even if it wasn't mine. He was not afraid to say something unpopular. His standard was whether he believed it or not...not whether it would earn him votes....and left, right or in-between, that is rare in politics.

Rand Paul however seems an utterly complete political animal, perpetually with his nose to the wind, speaking only what he thinks will most appeal to his political base. "His truth" is buried somewhere deep inside of him beneath raw ambition, the political stuntsman, panderer, plagiarist, if "his truth" has any substance at all. At best he is a dishonest, pandering, politician looking to exploit his fathers fame and popularity.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   

bobs_uruncle

Has anyone every bothered to examine all the plagiarism from both the left and the right?

Maybe you don't follow politics closely, but every time the President speaks there is a storm of folks ppouring over every word for attack purposes. Answer to your question is a resounding "Yes"!!!.

bobs_uruncle
How many times does the Obama unit steal a phrase or complete paragraph while he drools in front of a teleprompter.

Phrase?...a few times...the Right Wing media pounced on him for using the phrase "American Family" in the context of what we have in common and found the phrase in a speech by Coumo in the 80's. That seemed desperate to me...the phrase "American family"??? Belongs to someone?

Also...the Right Wing Media pounced on him referring to America as a "Light to the world"...and screamed Woodrow Wilson had used the phrase in a speech in the early 1900's.

Paragraphs? Nope, never.

Rand Paul cut and pasted entire paragraphs for publication...

Night and day...and only the most ideologically addled mind would pounce on an hour long speech like the state of the union and claim that a phrase like "Light to the world" is plagiarism.

It's like claiming "Home of the Brave" is plagiarism.
edit on 6-11-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:15 AM
link   
The further Rand gets distanced from his daddy, the more people will see that he is just a complete idiot trying to ride daddy's coattails.

I don't agree with Ron Paul's political stances, but he was at least honest and stood for what he believed in. Rand is just trying to bend and twist into whatever he thinks will get him the most votes...you know...kind of like wanting to use the "Paul" name and cater to the libertarians...but then also not endorsing his own libertarian leaning father for the primary candidate because he had to suck up to the Republican leaders.

Rand Paul is a wannabe, he has no character, he has no original ideas, and apparently he has no honesty at all.
edit on 6-11-2013 by AlienScience because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:29 AM
link   

mymymy
reply to post by Indigo5

You have to remember, taking personal responsibility only applies to poor people

At least Rand Paul is taking responsibility for HIDING THE EVIDENCE

BuzzFeed also reported Monday several transcripts of Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul’s speeches have disappeared from his website.

www.buzzfeed.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
It boils down to Rand Paul's version of Libertarianism.

"Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law"

His idea of deregulation means no copyright law so he can STEAL someone else's intellectual property. And if you aren't capable in your chosen profession to be board certified, create your own board and staff it with your family.

That is why he did not apologize. In his own tiny mind he has done nothing wrong.

(credit to Aleister Crowley for the quote above)

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

As you say, it's an "academic" one. NOT a political one.

Once again, rather than debating the ideas, attack the messenger.

Sorry, I don't but it. Day by day, more see it my way as well.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Plagiarism is irrelevant when one is attempting to save their nation or world.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Mugen
Plagiarism is irrelevant when one is attempting to save their nation or world.

Using the words of others without attributing them is proof of a lack of original thought. On the other hand, one might Google 'hyperbole' .

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by theantediluvian

Like I said, yet again, attack the messenger when you can't argue the message.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:06 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Another comment from the less than great white north. Hmmm, hyperbole...Canadians' opinion of themselves suffices.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 02:42 AM
link   

MrInquisitive
What the people defending Ran Paul's egregious serial plagiarism either don't know, forget or conveniently avoid mentioning is that when Joe Biden Plagiarized back in the 80's that destroyed his presidential prospects for about two decades. It took that long to get his public persona rehabilitated.

Does Obama/his speechwriters plagiarize? I don't know. If he/they do, then show us some examples. Put up or shut up.

The worst aspect of Rand Paul's plagiarism is that he has LIED, denying that any plagiarism on his part occurred, when it is glaringly obvious that he/his speech writers has/have done so on repeated occasions. This shows that he either doesn't even understand the concept of plagiarism or that he is just Mr. Mendacious and should not be trusted in anything he says.

The hilarious part is that it is such over-the-top plagiarism, and yet there are folk here defending him, saying "but, but, other politicians have done it too". Again, I point to the Biden case and how it tainted him politically for years. And if you have evidence of Obama Co. doing it, then provide examples as obvious as those of Rand Paul's. Let's also keep in mind that when Biden did this, the material came from some British politician. The particular plagiarism in question came from Wikipedia of all places. This is like a high school student plagiarizing Encyclopedia Britannica. If you're so lame that you plagiarize from Wikipedia or hire staff writers who do so, then you really have no business looking for higher elected office. Such plagiarism would warrant an F in most courses -- at the junior-high level and above, and in schools with academic honor codes, it could result in suspension or some sort of public censure.

Indeed this incident is such a black mark on this lazy, lying politician, that the Washington Times, a very conservative newspaper, has taken away Paul's regular column in said paper.

Can Paul come back from this significant political mis-step? Sure, but it will take some time. Perhaps in 2024 he will be rehabilitated enough to consider running for national office. Until then, he should stick to being the best senator he can and be a lot more careful when expropriating others' words.

Edit: Now having read that he massively plagiarized in his 2012 book, I'd have to say that the guy is a major cheating, lying, lazy hack and is not fit for public office of any sort. He's a TAKER! What a hypocrite. The guy is a big-time serial plagiarist. The clown talks about challenging someone to a duel over this matter. If he had any honor and still insisted on satisfaction through firearms, it would only take one pistol.
edit on 6-11-2013 by MrInquisitive because: (no reason given)

Examples were posted, read the thread sheeple.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 02:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Soooo let me sum this up, you're morally "outraged" over the plagiarizing by a senators staff, but OK with murder, and treason has long as its committed by a Democrat. It is so depressing coming on this site sometimes and seeing lemmings like yourself cheering the establishment. Its is so sad, you could literally do 5 minutes of reading by googling the federal reserve and become educated. Some people are meant to be slaves though, its human nature I guess. Keep cheering on the big bank thieves and murders though.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 08:47 AM
link   

nwtrucker
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

Another comment from the less than great white north. Hmmm, hyperbole...Canadians' opinion of themselves suffices.

More to the point, his column for the Washington Times has been...shall we say concluded?...and he is 'restructuring' his office staff as a result of the controversy. So, if accusations of plagiarism seems to matter to him and don't to you...which one of you is wrong?

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   

InverseLookingGlass
reply to post by Indigo5

Plagiarism is intellectually lazy.

Intellectually lazy people are tools for active thinkers.
An undecided politician is a huge investment opportunity. This should increase his fundraising.

laughing at your post...I like the way you think, unfortunately, those dots do connect quite easily. I liked the way he tries to explain it away...he said he was just too busy...he had to rely on others....he's a first term junior senator, if that job is too hard for him to even verify what his own staff wrote for his speeches, why would anyone trust him with legislation for the entire country?

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   

pyramid head
reply to post by Indigo5

Soooo let me sum this up, you're morally "outraged" over the plagiarizing by a senators staff, but OK with murder, and treason has long as its committed by a Democrat. It is so depressing coming on this site sometimes and seeing lemmings like yourself cheering the establishment. Its is so sad, you could literally do 5 minutes of reading by googling the federal reserve and become educated. Some people are meant to be slaves though, its human nature I guess. Keep cheering on the big bank thieves and murders though.

no..i'm outraged that he didn't even bother to check...he assumed...if he assumed that those speeches were original, what other crap has he been fed that he didn't check or verify, and assumed to be correct.

and about your own critical thinking skills, why would you bring up a particular political connection to crimes of murder, and treason??...maybe you might want to actually check that yourself, to verify if it's true of false, like rand paul should have done.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join