It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rand Paul faces another plagiarism claim

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by LeatherNLace

My point is they all do it one way or another it only becomes an issue when the team you don't like does it.

Is Paul wrong for doing it heck yes and so is anyone else who does it but I fail to see how this is a real issue other then I hate the GOP.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   

thesaneone
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

So now that we have established that Paul has been found guilty of plagiarism can somebody tell me how this will destroy America?
Didn't say that. Plagiarism merely speaks to a lack of moral and intellectual ethics. I'm not here to debate deflections...just to comment on the OP.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   

thesaneone
reply to post by Indigo5

So when Obama plagiarized some of his speech in his State of the Union Address in 2011 it was fine with you? but I know your answer this is only about Rand Paul.

Take off the blinders and see that this is what it is Politics.

Lord help me...In Pres. Obama's state of the union, only the most crazed of partisans could call it plagiarism.

Examples that led to this claim.

Obama’s concept of the “American family” may well have had its origins in the first State of the State address New York Governor Mario Cuomo delivered in 1983. Cuomo proclaimed the state of New York as a “family.” He also talked about multiple partnerships, both public and private.

What? referring to a state or countries people as a "family"?? Plagiarism!!!

Early in his address, Obama said that he wanted the nation he leads to be a “light to the world.” The last president who set such a mission for the nation he led, and in those exact words, was Woodrow Wilson.

hotair.com...

Yes...and every time a politicians refers to America as a "light to the world" they are plagiarizing!!

No, it was just bland: "Paraphrasing is not plagiarism," says Ed Morrissey at Hot Air. Presidents make strikingly similar, generalized calls for greatness every year. If Obama is a plagiarist, then "so is practically everyone else in politics, especially in the Tea Party." Yes, the speech was "rather dull." But plagiarized? Certainly not

Compare these desperate accusations to Rand Pauls "Cut and Paste" of someone else's article as his own!

The fact that you don't see a difference affirms my view of the right wing having a radically different standard of ethics

edit on 5-11-2013 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Sen. Rand Paul wants to challenge plagiarism critics like Rachel Maddow to a ‘Duel’

en. Rand Paul (R-Ky on ‘This Week’ Sunday, dismissed charges of plagiarism in his speeches and writing, saying he was being “unfairly targeted by a bunch of hacks and haters” who he wishes he could challenge to a “duel.” Paul recently referred to Rachel Maddow as a hater because the MSNBC host unearthed the Kentucky Senator’s plagiarism with Wikipedia. Paul told the host, “In some of the other things that are now going to pop up under thousands of things I’ve written, yeah, there are times when they have been sloppy or not correct or we’ve made an error.” Paul continued,“But the difference is, I take it as an insult and I will not lie down and say people can call me dishonest, misleading or misrepresenting. I have never intentionally done so.” The plagiarist continued, “When I wrote scientific papers, I sometimes had statements with eight footnotes for one sentence. Is that what you want me to do for my speeches? If it’s required, I’ll do it.” Paul added, “But I think I’m being unfairly targeted by a bunch of hacks and haters. And I’m just not going to put up with people casting aspersions on my character.” Paul said he wished he could challenge his critics to a “duel” over the charges.

Wow...old Rand is a real tough guy…wants to challenge a woman--Rachel Maddow--to a duel.

A real western cowboy and John Wayne type. I guess he wants to use an AR15.

Maddow would probably whip him in a fair fight.

But I doubt he would fight fair.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Willtell

Wow...old Rand is a real tough guy…wants to challenge a woman--Rachel Maddow--to a duel.

Wow! Just wow! And for years, I thought Saddam Hussein was a nutcase for challenging George W. Bush to a duel....at least the 2 countries could have settled their differences without costing 100,000s of lives.

Poor wittle Randie, can't take quiticism.

If he wishes to be POTUS, he's going to need much thicker skin. Otherwise, watch out, he may go door to door shooting all his critics....not sure there is enough lead in the world to fill that order of bullets.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Willtell
Sen. Rand Paul wants to challenge plagiarism critics like Rachel Maddow to a ‘Duel’

Yes...and when every other media outlet started to find other entire paragraphs he plagiarized word for word...Rand went from outrage to "uh....it was my staffs fault...they write everything for me!"

In order to "Duel" for your honor, you must first have "honor"...and challenging a woman to a duel? for pointing out his own plagiarism? Very small man and he would be more than a fright as President IMO.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
**ATTENTION**

Please discuss the TOPIC, not each other. Further violations WILL result in posting bans.

~Tenth

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
From a few hours ago..

Section Of Rand Paul’s Book Plagiarized Forbes Article

Bill Singer, the author of the Forbes article, said “no, absolutely not,” when asked if he knew the Senator used his work. He also noted that he relied heavily on a press release from the Justice Department. “It would appear whoever wrote the senator’s book copied my language not the press release. Plagiarism is a very sincere form of flattery,” he said.

www.buzzfeed.com...

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   

Indigo5
From a few hours ago..

Section Of Rand Paul’s Book Plagiarized Forbes Article

Bill Singer, the author of the Forbes article, said “no, absolutely not,” when asked if he knew the Senator used his work. He also noted that he relied heavily on a press release from the Justice Department. “It would appear whoever wrote the senator’s book copied my language not the press release. Plagiarism is a very sincere form of flattery,” he said.

www.buzzfeed.com...

Ouch. I'm actually surprised by how blatant that is and in his book no less. We're not talking about paraphrasing a couple lines or borrowing a few ideas anymore--that is a straight copy and paste of multiple paragraphs.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

You have to remember, taking personal responsibility only applies to poor people

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

While I will agree that both sides have indeed plagiarized, few have done so to the degree recently demonstrated by Rand Paul. In Rand Paul's case, if you take out the plagiarized words, there isn't much of a speech left.

On the other hand, when you go spouting off about all your so-called "gate" scandals, don't forget to mention the fact that they are all part of Darrell Issa's Bullsh#tgate, because that's what all of these scandals really are, pure bullsh#t.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Willtell

Wow...old Rand is a real tough guy…wants to challenge a woman--Rachel Maddow--to a duel.....
wait... Rachel Maddow is a female?

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   

samUwell

Willtell

Wow...old Rand is a real tough guy…wants to challenge a woman--Rachel Maddow--to a duel.....
wait... Rachel Maddow is a female?

That dig was inevitable

My question is...will he also challenge the editor of Forbes Magazine to a duel, since he too has just discovered Rand Paul plagiarized his articles for Rand's book and has publicly accused him of the same?

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

This only proves the left is desperate. I'm still waiting for Obama to footnote Stalin and Karl Marx. Not to mention Hope and Change was stolen from Fidel Castro.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
I think the obvious thing about this is the timing and the sources of exposure.

Paul needs to launch an investigation into the backgrounds of all his staff that assisted in the writings at all levels.

I believe he has been infiltrated by Left Wing deep undercover operatives.

How else could such an obvious breach of public trust happen ?

edit on Nov-05-2013 by xuenchen because:

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
its funny, you know... because if any of us were to ever be elected to a position where the national media is up your ass all day, i am sure you too would repeat many a line you have once read in the library of books you have gone through.

where Murray Rothbard's writings stop and i begin, is almost a blur as i have read all his books, essay's, treaties and anything i can get my hands on from him many times over.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 09:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

As the chickens come home to roost...not just Lefties that fail to appreciate Paul's laziness...

Rand Paul's Washington Times Column Put To An End Amid Plagiarism Charges
The Washington Times put an end to Sen. Rand Paul's (R-Ky.) weekly column on Tuesday following a number of plagiarism charges against his written and oral works.

Paul was most recently accused of borrowing heavily from The Week's Dan Stewart in his September column on mandatory minimum drug sentences. Link

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I really think Rachel can take Paul out in a fair fight. The only problem Rand Paul is a back shooter. They would start the dual and Rachel would turn her back on Paul to go to her mark and he would take her out with a back shot and cry out:
“My staff told me to do it”

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   
What the people defending Ran Paul's egregious serial plagiarism either don't know, forget or conveniently avoid mentioning is that when Joe Biden Plagiarized back in the 80's that destroyed his presidential prospects for about two decades. It took that long to get his public persona rehabilitated.

Does Obama/his speechwriters plagiarize? I don't know. If he/they do, then show us some examples. Put up or shut up.

The worst aspect of Rand Paul's plagiarism is that he has LIED, denying that any plagiarism on his part occurred, when it is glaringly obvious that he/his speech writers has/have done so on repeated occasions. This shows that he either doesn't even understand the concept of plagiarism or that he is just Mr. Mendacious and should not be trusted in anything he says.

The hilarious part is that it is such over-the-top plagiarism, and yet there are folk here defending him, saying "but, but, other politicians have done it too". Again, I point to the Biden case and how it tainted him politically for years. And if you have evidence of Obama Co. doing it, then provide examples as obvious as those of Rand Paul's. Let's also keep in mind that when Biden did this, the material came from some British politician. The particular plagiarism in question came from Wikipedia of all places. This is like a high school student plagiarizing Encyclopedia Britannica. If you're so lame that you plagiarize from Wikipedia or hire staff writers who do so, then you really have no business looking for higher elected office. Such plagiarism would warrant an F in most courses -- at the junior-high level and above, and in schools with academic honor codes, it could result in suspension or some sort of public censure.

Indeed this incident is such a black mark on this lazy, lying politician, that the Washington Times, a very conservative newspaper, has taken away Paul's regular column in said paper.

Can Paul come back from this significant political mis-step? Sure, but it will take some time. Perhaps in 2024 he will be rehabilitated enough to consider running for national office. Until then, he should stick to being the best senator he can and be a lot more careful when expropriating others' words.

Edit: Now having read that he massively plagiarized in his 2012 book, I'd have to say that the guy is a major cheating, lying, lazy hack and is not fit for public office of any sort. He's a TAKER! What a hypocrite. The guy is a big-time serial plagiarist. The clown talks about challenging someone to a duel over this matter. If he had any honor and still insisted on satisfaction through firearms, it would only take one pistol.
edit on 6-11-2013 by MrInquisitive because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

He should form the Pirate Party in the US, this would quelch all these issues... If an idea is good it is worth repeating, unless he adamantly stated that he was the author of the idea (not a paragraph or 2 in a larger work) signed by him I have no issues with it. Its like people discard how hard it is to have an original idea in a world where full real time achievement of withering in just a step away and we already have a large archive of preserved knowledge...
edit on 6-11-2013 by Panic2k11 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join