It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

India blasts off for Mars: here's what it will do

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 07:10 AM
link   

It's the Mount Everest of the solar system, conquered only by an elite group. Now India is set to join the US, Russia and Europe in the exclusive club by sending a probe to Mars. The Mars Orbiter Mission blasted off from the south-eastern coast of India on 5 November.

Wait WHAT??

I didnt even know India was planning this and it LAUNCHED today.

Hey NASA You're doing it wrong.

If a 3rd world country like india can organize a space program it only goes to show

A. How broke the USA really is.

B. How little the USA cares about science and space exploration

and

C. How totally screwed the USA is.

Talk about going to riches to rags...man you guys landed a man on the moon in the sixties and you still dont have a base on the moon in 2013. Thats just lame... while your at it where are my flying cars and hoverboards..

Yeah anyway go India at least they dont seem to have a problem with science, knowledge and exploration.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

There's a good thread going by an OP who paid very close attention to the launch and kept people updated minute-by-minute www.abovetopsecret.com...

And I'm like you, I didn't even know this was launching! Naan and mango juice all around!
edit on 5-11-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Aleister

There's a good thread going by an OP who paid very close attention to the launch and kept people updated minute-by-minute. And I'm like you, I didn't even know this was launching! Naan and mango juice all around!

did a search didnt find anything so i thought i would post an update

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Search isn't always reliable. Better to put the thread up if you can't find it than hope someone else has and you''ve missed it, imnho. This news is too big not to discuss on the site. Thanks for putting up the thread! Maybe you can put your first post in the other thread too, just an idea. I can't concentrate, thinking of dal. Yummmm.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
By way of comparison...The US is spending between 600 and 700 Billion Dollars on Pentagon and Defense related issues this year alone.

NASA's entire budget to not only run current space programs but all the way back to maintenance and support crews for the Voyager Programs, still ongoing ...comes to under 20 Billion total.

India seems to have their priorities straighter than we. I wish them the best of luck! I hope they succeed where we have not.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Wait WHAT??

If a 3rd world country like india can organize a space program it only goes to show

and

NASA sent a successful probe to Mars almost 50 yrs ago in 1964. So your saying because India is now sending a Mars probe now means they are somehow extremely advanced is like me saying I'm on top of cutting edge tech because I know how to send a text message.
Infact the tech that is in a cellphone is 1,000x more advanced than the tech NASA had in the sixties.
Maybe you didn't know this but we actually have a rover and not the first on mars a vehicle driving around on the a surface of the planet and not just a probe.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Wrabbit2000
By way of comparison...The US is spending between 600 and 700 Billion Dollars on Pentagon and Defense related issues this year alone.

NASA's entire budget to not only run current space programs but all the way back to maintenance and support crews for the Voyager Programs, still ongoing ...comes to under 20 Billion total.

India seems to have their priorities straighter than we. I wish them the best of luck! I hope they succeed where we have not.

Or the U.S. has already found or knows what it needs to about outer space. Like A) there's nothing out there or B) there is and we already made contact. Break out the tinfoil!

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Good for India!
I would much rather see India become a major player in space than China.
Really hope this mission is a success-and on a budget that NASA wouldn't even think of as pocket change!!

Good work so far India-lets just hope it all works out.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   

To not you specifically, but generally many people have a mindset and think all the countries are staying the same, a stale economic for the last 20-30 years.... but in fact countries like India and China are growing at an exploding rate.

The fact is we in the west have come to a stop in advancement(no iphone5 is not an advancement) in general, the west economy is at a stale.

We still use paper tickets in public transports, and our subway system is old as hell.

The "3rd world country" is a ambiguous term.. it does not mention the individual characteristics. a "3rd world country" might have many "first world" cities and "first world countries" might have many backwards "3rd would" cities.

The whole term came from a capitalist mindset anyway, "us vs them"

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   

It was reported in 2011 that the United States gave India $126 million in foreign aid...and I suspect over the years more has been given; so perhaps the USA has funded their space adventure.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   
To the US this is like riding a bike. India is riding a bike now and the US has upgraded to something bigger and better, maybe a motorcycle. Besides we have our Black Ops program that has continued for many years out out of the public eye.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Mmmmmmmmmmmm, India is now supposed to be the fourth most powerful nation in the world after the United States, China, and the European Union........

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I'm from India. And people are outraged. Why is our country spending so much on a popularity contest? Millions are living on the streets, railway stations, slums. Well if they construct a social welfare dept. and maybe shift the population surplus to a future mars colony! Would be great!

Instead of depopulation tactics like poor health management and fatal communal riots and conflicts. And who cares about China or another asian country going to space. If a neighbouring country is planning to nuke us, its here on planet earth! THE ASIAN SPACE RACE proves how west-centric India is!

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   

TiM3LoRd

It's the Mount Everest of the solar system, conquered only by an elite group. Now India is set to join the US, Russia and Europe in the exclusive club by sending a probe to Mars. The Mars Orbiter Mission blasted off from the south-eastern coast of India on 5 November.

Wait WHAT??

and

Talk about going to riches to rags...man you guys landed a man on the moon in the sixties and you still dont have a base on the moon in 2013. Thats just lame... while your at it where are my flying cars and hoverboards..

Yeah anyway go India at least they dont seem to have a problem with science, knowledge and exploration.

Look, there's only one reason that would account for NASA and/or the USA not being overly concerned with these missions to the moon & Mars. Been there, done that!

I think the only real concern they may have now, is making sure that none of these missions provide proof that we've "been there, done that," if you know what I mean.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   

pixelbob
I'm from India. And people are outraged. Why is our country spending so much on a popularity contest? Millions are living on the streets, railway stations, slums. Well if they construct a social welfare dept. and maybe shift the population surplus to a future mars colony! Would be great!

Instead of depopulation tactics like poor health management and fatal communal riots and conflicts. And who cares about China or another asian country going to space. If a neighbouring country is planning to nuke us, its here on planet earth! THE ASIAN SPACE RACE proves how west-centric India is!

Agreed. Priority # 1, protect earth and her inhabitants. Then, explore... we could do both, and more at the same time if we were willing. But still, good luck.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

TiM3LoRd

No NASA is getting with the times and they just outsourced the complete space program to India.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   

pixelbob

I hear what you say-but one day in the future if humans don't figure out how to set up off world colonies,we will perish on Earth.
India could be taking the first steps towards that goal,and that is a good thing.
You are right though-that money could have been spent on helping the poor,and it should have.
I think its would be possible to do both,but humans never seem to have achieved that yet.
We could if we all stopped spending zillions on new ways to kill each other.
Sad how its all going at the moment.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Yes. When you said that setting up colonies on other planets can be a solution to the population boom. But that still seems a distant scientific reality.
And a lot of our elite countrymen nris pretend its all sunshine back home (the west-centricness).
And unlike the west, news research material regarding defence scientific advancement discoveries is less accesible to the public media.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

SasquatchHunter

NASA sent a successful probe to Mars almost 50 yrs ago in 1964. So your saying because India is now sending a Mars probe now means they are somehow extremely advanced is like me saying I'm on top of cutting edge tech because I know how to send a text message.
Infact the tech that is in a cellphone is 1,000x more advanced than the tech NASA had in the sixties.
Maybe you didn't know this but we actually have a rover and not the first on mars a vehicle driving around on the a surface of the planet and not just a probe.

That's correct, and just about the time India started in space exploration. There are two NASA active rovers on Mars.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join