It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bill Nye Boo'd In Texas For Saying The Moon Reflects The Sun

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Wait, what, why?

Waco?

Offended by Bill Nye telling them the truth? LOL

He should've asked them how do they think a mirror works?

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

solongandgoodnight

When you first meet someone in Texas, one of their first questions is "What church do you go to" That question determines your social standing in their eyes.

what a sh*tty thing to say......I know no one in Texas who asks that in one of their first questions or thinks that.

Thank you,,,,,

second

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

From the Op

But nothing got people as riled as when he brought up Genesis 1:16, which reads: "God made two great lights -- the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars."

The lesser light, he pointed out, is not a light at all, but only a reflector.

At this point, several people in the audience stormed out in fury. One woman yelled "We believe in God!" and left with three children, thus ensuring that people across America would read about the incident and conclude that Waco is as nutty as they'd always suspected.

Bill problem is - He's an IDIOT - He doesn't know when to keep his fool mouth shut. Read the above. Bill started this bull by knowingly pissing off a group of church goers. Bill does this all the time in public as if he's on some mission to discredit Christianity.

All Bill is doing is making himself look like the POS he is. So he has book smarts, this sure proves he doesn't have half a brain.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Boo! Boo! Boo!
Gulp..where did that come from?
It shot out of me. It's like I had no control.
Rick Perry and Texas A&M have some sort of mind control
apparatus in Texas. We can't help it.

It makes us do things like vote for Rick Perry.
Rick has been Gov. for 13 years. Sometimes being a Texan sucks.

edit on 5-11-2013 by sealing because: Yes master Perry....must edit

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

From reading that excerpt it seems those who made a fuss were over sensitive whiny bible thumpers. He stated a fact and corrected a biblical fallacy. Is their faith so thin they need to throw a tantrum over everything?

Bill told the truth and Christians threw a fit. It just reads as crying wah stop persecuting my faith. The persecution complex in full swing.

If he wanted to offend them he should have pointed out how the flood story is completely idiotic.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TXRabbit

Clearly, the Generalization comes from Texas being a hardcore conservative religious state...

And you know what they say about conservative religious state....

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Conspiracy in religion?
Where?
This OP is just a rant because some people have alternative views, and I never read anywhere anybody suggesting the moon emitted light
Nice beat up, atheist sensationalism at its best, rivals the msm

The police state mentality of the US doesnt just belong to the authorities, it belong to the pseudo authorities as well

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Grimpachi
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

From reading that excerpt it seems those who made a fuss were over sensitive whiny bible thumpers. He stated a fact and corrected a biblical fallacy. Is their faith so thin they need to throw a tantrum over everything?

Bill told the truth and Christians threw a fit. It just reads as crying wah stop persecuting my faith. The persecution complex in full swing.

If he wanted to offend them he should have pointed out how the flood story is completely idiotic.

Except that the excerpt is embellished bologna from an Atheist blogger about a story that was picked up and circulated with added sensationalism.

Why does anyone need to bring up the Bible at all in a science lecture? Why not Frankenstein by Mary Shelley or some other non scientific book?

I'm more shocked by so many people on here who think of themselves so much more advanced than Christians they can't even use critical thinking skills to evaluate a story about a situation where people who attended a science lecture at a college freaked out because they found out from Bill Nye the moon wasn't a miniature sun on fire burning up the night skies giving us tans and warmth.

I think I'm done on this thread because I'm sure many more will just read the initial post and believe it without any further examination or thought so they can post to bash Christians.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
Texas is an awesome place, don't blame all texans. Gather up the right wing wackos and ship them to Alaska where they can be with their queen.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 01:31 PM
link   
First concider the news site they have their own agenda. Im sure there is more to this story.
edit on 5-11-2013 by knightrider078 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
soooo....
who turns the light up and down as the moon progresses through its quarters...?

on second thought
don't answer that

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

The religious crowd is crazy but on the flip side of the coin is the science crowd and guess what they are just as messed up.

I do not like Bill I personally think he is progressive scum bag who is trying to brainwash the youth. He is part of a framework to use propaganda and fear as tools for change. The religious crowd is just as crazy just in a different way.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Flatfish

Off topic - no way is abortion Barbie taking over this state..

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Religion is God damn stupid.

See what I did there?

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 05:19 PM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

I understand where you're coming from.

It just galls me. What people read about this fine state and what it's actually like are 2 completely different things.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 05:22 PM
link   
Hah, but if they even know who Bob is (outside of Austin and some select counter culture enclaves) I'd be impressed.

There are mutants everywhere, though... even in Churchy-ville, USA. The status quo ain't static and times are changing... slowly.

Mixing of church dogmatists and the non-retarded is a good thing. The memes will travel and enlightenment will come.

And in Texas' defense, the Butthole Surfers were birthed there... so it MUST be a great place. And I live in Arizona, where one gets the same misconceptions about the level of intelligence possible in the populace, so I have sympathy.

May slack be with you.
edit on 11/5/2013 by Baddogma because: I second guessed calling church dogmatists "retarded" and then cemeted it... because being that way is... though 'retarded' is a politically incorrect term, it works in this context

edit on 11/5/2013 by Baddogma because: and then the surfers came to mind... but I can still mess with Texas if I wanna

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

Of course there are generalizations that don't apply in every situation. Maybe it depends on where in Texas - I'm sure I wouldn't know

My sister moved there with her husband a few years back - and she told me she was/is asked all the time

She says sometimes it's a very awkward situation as she doesn't go to church at all and that just doesn't fly with some folks down there

Nobody is saying it's all people in Texas, or everywhere in Texas - but I believe it's more than enough for this story to be true

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by SasquatchHunter

There was really no reason for him to talk about The Bible at a science lecture. He was obviously looking for a reaction and he got one.

I disagree - he is Bill Nye - the science guy

If he had been explaining away some other religious/mythological belief from some other culture or time we'd think those beliefs amusing and quaint. We'd chuckle and nod - and agree that of course it's amusing that people used to believe the world was flat, the universe revolves around the earth - that the Spider woman saved the people from a great flood, and the sun god rides his fiery chariot across the sky during the day...

Or that some people believed:

The Moon and Sun were at one time equally bright. It not being appropriate for gods to be equals, one of them threw a rabbit in the face of the other, and the one struck darkened to become today's moon. Henceforth it's possible to distinguish a figure of a rabbit on the moon's surface. During a full moon, the "Rabbit in the Moon" becomes readily visible.

Metztli

But not if it comes from the Bible - then it's off limits?

I hear people so often lately dismiss political correctness. Yet, people attending a science lecture walk out because he chose to explain how something out of the Bible isn't scientifically accurate? And this is his fault?

Seriously?

Have you ever met anyone who believes we never landed on the moon? (and yes, I know where I am and what I'm asking)

I have - It was only one person, but it mystified me. This person was very bright and studying to become an engineer. It wasn't the usual conspiracy theory reason either - he had a purely religious reason for believing it had never happened - that it couldn't happen

If Bill Nye pissed some people off - even if it was on purpose, maybe especially if it was on purpose - the only thing I can think to say is: carry on

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 07:37 PM
link   

teamcommander
I can hardly believe I am "again" quoting Ron White, but ...

"You can't cure stupid"!
edit on 5-11-2013 by teamcommander because: (no reason given)

Its "ya can't fix stupid". If you're going to insult someone with a quote that contains the word stupid, at least get it right... otherwise... well....

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I wasn't sure what this all meant until I read hte article. I had to laugh. Obviously, he's not proving the bible wrong, per say, but he's being a bit of a wise guy.

I still have to laugh. LOL.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join