It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You Can Keep Your Health Insurance - Really You Can

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 05:34 PM
link   
You can keep your health insurance if you set aside partisanship for two crucial bills.

What we need are elected representatives and constituents willing to forget about party and use common sense. Obamacare needs to be a positive experience for all Americans to be successful. I still can't get over the shock that this administration basically said, "well the casualties are only about 5% of our population". Why should there be any casualties?

So what would it take to easily bring the casualties down to zero? A simple bill being proposed by the republicans. So far there are democrats in favor of this bill also. But will it be enough of them to make a difference? If common sense prevails, I think there will be enough support. Call and email your representatives.

On the other side of the fence there is also a bill spoored by a democrat. Oh my I missed this part, maybe we really do have a chance? I think the Democrat bill requiring insurance companies to keep old plans is the better idea. I worry that out of convenience and profit, the insurance companies wouldn't bother reversing things. Plus we need to keep Americans where they are most comfortable. Then if they decide of their own free will to make the jump to the Obamacare exchanges, then that is their choice.

WASHINGTON (AP) — Little more than a week after millions of consumers received health care cancellation notices, lawmakers in both parties are pushing legislation to redeem President Barack Obama's long-ago pledge that anyone liking their coverage will be allowed to keep it under the nation's controversial new law.

In the Republican-controlled House, officials say a vote is likely as early as next week on a bill to let insurors continue selling any individual policies that were in effect on Jan. 1, 2013, even if they provide coverage deemed insufficient under Obamacare.

While Upton's legislation permits insurers to sell existing coverage plans that would otherwise be banned, Sen. Mary Landrieu, D-La., is drafting legislation to go one step further by requiring it.

Lawmakers push to keep Obama's health care pledge

edit on 4-11-2013 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 06:05 PM
link   
After thinking about this a bit longer, I feel that these bills have a nearly 100% shot at passing. Even for the career politician looking out only for his career, this one is a no brainer. Voting no would be political suicide. Just look at what is happening to Obama at the polls already and the site isn't even letting enough people through for sticker shock to sink in yet. Yes, this will pass.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by elouina

I'm for it, particularly with this part included:

Her measure also requires insurers to explain areas in which the coverage falls short of the law's requirements, and notify consumers they may be able to find an alternative plan that meets the requirements.

I think it's a reasonable enough compromise that will diffuse some of the partisan tension.
edit on 4-11-2013 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by theantediluvian

Did you know that there was a similar but more extensive bill back in September of 2010? This was a republican sponsored bill. Every republican voted yea, and every democrats voted ney. This is a perfect example of politics destroying America. But alas, their seats weren't on the line by angry citizens in 2010 like they are now.

Now there are even more problem areas that need addressed. The biggest I see coming in a couple of years, the bankruptcy of California. Will CA be able to handle 100% of the costs of all the new Medicaid recipients from Obamacare? I don't think so.

Just look at this anger... This side did this, and that side did that.. Grrr...

“This resolution is a political stunt,” replied Senator Max Baucus, who eventually denounced Obamacare as a “train wreck.” Back then, however, the Montana Democrat continued, “This resolution is an attempt by the other side to dismantle the new health-care-reform law piece by piece. . . . This resolution invites the insurance companies to continue to put profits before patients.”

Now this was common sense, no matter where the idea originated:

“The administration published a regulation that will fundamentally change the health-insurance plans of millions of Americans,” Enzi explained as the Senate debated this measure on September 29, 2010. “The reality of this new regulation is, if you like what you have, you can’t keep it.”

“If we pass the resolution, millions of Americans will be spared from paying higher health-care costs as a result of new federal mandates,” Enzi added. “If we pass the resolution, small businesses across the country will not have to drop health insurance for their workers. . . . I even have letters from people who have individual situations, and they are concerned as well.”

Obama’s Weapon of Mass Destruction Has Senate Dem Fingerprints All Over It

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Double post but why waste the space.

So if the republicans knew this, why didn't they come forward with this before it all crashed? Yes they tried to stop it with the shut down. But why didn't they, TELL AMERICANS WHY IT NEEDED STALLED?

You know, hey there neighbor, you will be losing your health insurance. That may have made a few listen. DUH! They could have gone out and campaigned like Obama does. Maybe even made some commercials warning how people will be affected.

What I am getting at so angrily is that a little communication goes a long ways. Don't just shut down the government, also tell us every last reason why.

Or then again, maybe they missed that $5 rule? With this rule, if your insurance goes up by only $5 it will be canceled.
edit on 4-11-2013 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 10:09 AM
link   
This here is how they voted back in September of 2010. And lists every single person that decided that you couldn't keep your insurance. Please remember these names.

Landrieu, the Dem that is now a creator of a bill to restore grandfathering was one of those nay votes in 2010. This really irks me. Yes a very noble effort, but why did she vote the opposite in 2010?

These were all the nay votes that said you may not keep your insurance:

Akaka (D-HI) Baucus (D-MT) Bayh (D-IN) Begich (D-AK) Bennet (D-CO) Bingaman (D-NM) Boxer (D-CA) Brown (D-OH) Burris (D-IL) Cantwell (D-WA) Cardin (D-MD) Carper (D-DE) Casey (D-PA) Conrad (D-ND) Dodd (D-CT) Dorgan (D-ND) Durbin (D-IL) Feingold (D-WI) Feinstein (D-CA) Franken (D-MN) Gillibrand (D-NY) Goodwin (D-WV) Hagan (D-NC) Harkin (D-IA) Inouye (D-HI) Johnson (D-SD) Kaufman (D-DE) Kerry (D-MA) Klobuchar (D-MN) Kohl (D-WI) Landrieu (D-LA) Lautenberg (D-NJ) Leahy (D-VT) Levin (D-MI) Lieberman (ID-CT) Lincoln (D-AR) McCaskill (D-MO) Menendez (D-NJ) Merkley (D-OR) Mikulski (D-MD) Murray (D-WA) Nelson (D-FL) Nelson (D-NE) Pryor (D-AR) Reed (D-RI) Reid (D-NV) Rockefeller (D-WV) Sanders (I-VT) Schumer (D-NY) Shaheen (D-NH) Specter (D-PA) Stabenow (D-MI) Tester (D-MT) Udall (D-CO) Udall (D-NM) Warner (D-VA) Webb (D-VA) Whitehouse (D-RI) Wyden (D-OR)

How they Voted For: S.J.Res. 39 (111th): . States Code, of the rule relating to status as a grandfathered health plan under the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act.

edit on 5-11-2013 by elouina because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   
It's too little too late. The Democratic train wreck has already started. Blue Cross has cancelled my previous plan and I have two weeks to sign up for a replacement plan through my employer. Even if they did pass a bill my employer would have a hard time changing the benefit package for 20,000 people.

Republicans did everything they could to prevent this healthcare disaster but they didn't have votes in the Senate. Thanks Democrats and your low information voters.

new topics

top topics

join