It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Democracy? In Canada, its no more than a sick parody

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Gatineau is one of the biggest cities in Canada and sits on the other side of the river from Ottawa.

...So, this is how "democracy" works here.

THE MUNICIPAL ELECTIONS

A "Meet the Candidates" evening was well advertised at a local cinema.

..And this is how it worked.

1. All the audience, hundreds of us, had to sit in absolute silence whilst the candidates sat on a raised platform.
2. Some guy, bussed in by some big local bank asked questions from various big pressure and business lobby groups.
3. Each candidate had to answer each question with an answer pledging to support woolly stuff like supporting apple pie and motherhood to prove that he would best represent each of the concerns of these lobby groups.
4. One candidate had such contempt for the audience of voters that he chewed gum throughout and literally talked straight over the heads of the audience, staring about a point at about 15 feet above out heads.
5. Another candidate wagged his finger at the audience as if telling off a class of naughty school kids being kept back for detension.

6. Any candidate (there were two) who had not turned up at this orgy of soul-selling was publicly ridiculed.
7. Then all the candidates left, avoiding the voters wherever possible with the various lobbyists congratulating each other on what they had got.

8. The audience, once the press had taken their camera shots, were allowed to go home.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by abacus10

thats how democracy has always worked, then you pick one of two sides that are offered.

then when elected, either side does exactly what they said they wouldnt!

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

All doors lead to hell? I thought everyone knew that Canada was a faux democracy. My understanding is that Canada is actually controlled by a fascist corporate oligarchy. After all, every "governing" body of elected and non-elected officials is actually a corporation, eg, "corporation of the government of canada."

And we all know that corporations ARE NOT democracies. Sick paraody? Naww, Canada isn't even a country. I'd go more for sadistic joke.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   

The Canadian Government AKA " The friendly dictatorship" Not so friendly with Harper. I have never been so disappointed with my country as I have been these days. I use to be more proud of our country, but these days it has been real hard to be proud. I feel as though Jack Laton was our last hope,and now that he is dead I feel a big part of our countrys heart died with him.

Your experience is no surprise since we seem to be emulating a US style of government these days. too bad we are loosing our true identity as a peace keeping nation of friendly people.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by bobs_uruncle

Are you referring to " The Power Corporation:" ?

new topics

top topics

join