It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Iran shoot down their own F-14?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   
On Jan 26, 2012, the Iranian Air Force scrambled F-14 3-6062 after a "UFO" near Bushehr, in Southern Iran. Five minutes into the flight the aircraft disappeared from radar. The wreckage was later found, with the bodies of the RIO and pilot, both of whom were killed in the crash.

The Iranian government gave the cause as an unspecified technical issue. Now it's coming out that the aircraft in question was one of the best maintained aircraft in the Iranian Air Force inventory, as it was a QRA aircraft near their only nuclear reactor.

It has come out, through apparently reliable sources, to TheAviationist, that the aircraft was actually shot down by Iranian Revolutionary Guard AAA units near the base. The claim has been made that they are totally unfamiliar with their own aircraft, and shoot at anything "scary", which pretty much includes anything moving fast. That way they can't say they didn't fight.

In the early morning hours of Jan. 26, 2012, an Iranian F-14A (serial 3-6062 that can be seen here) was scrambled to intercept a ‘UFO’ near the port city of Bushehr in south of Iran. Less than 5 minutes into the flight, the mighty ‘Tomcat’ disappeared from the ground control radar. The pilot and RIO both lost their lives in the crash.

So far the Iranian regime has attributed the cause of this terrible incident to some unknown technical failures.

But that was not the case.

theaviationist.com...

That's an interesting military tactic there, shooting at anything "scary".

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Zaphod58

That's an interesting military tactic there, shooting at anything "scary".

OMG...It's Nancy Pelosi....BOOM!

And on a more serious note...yes that is odd and sucks that they shot down their own best maintained aircraft....

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Thanks for that find.

I needed a chuckle this morning.

Good thing they don't celebrate Halloween.

edit on 11/4/2013 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

wow... I can only imagine the real reasoning behind having your best plane getting shot down.. Maybe the cmdr knew what would happen? I smell inside job

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

On a tactical note, I would say that it is a good thing that they are trigger happy. If the US/NATO or Israel were to strike them they could send in some drones first just so the AAA lights up their radar and other systems which would pinpoint their guidance systems for the follow on (actual) attack.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 11:05 AM
link   
They were testing the readiness of their AAA operators to shoot down the alleged incoming IAF attacks on their nuclear reactor.

In all seriousness, those gunners are probably real antsy about any aircraft flying that fast in the vicinity of their reactor. I guess their policy is shoot first, sort out the mess later.
edit on 4-11-2013 by majesticgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

A man lost his life. I don't see how this is funny.

I get what you meant though, I think.
We should send Iran a letter that just says "Just swing your dumb sack and try to hit some smart".

Brought to you by 24 hours without sleep. Thank you and goodnight.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by kx12x

I thought the ineptitude was funny, not the man who died.

Kind of figured that would be evident. Apparently not.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

So if we make our drones look like teddy bears and Hello Kitty, we could walk right in un-apposed.

edit on 4-11-2013 by Sammamishman because: (no reason given)

link   

No question the ineptitude of the iranian military is funny. But we're all in agreement that its sad two men lost their lives over stupidity

link   

Chamberf=6
reply to post by kx12x

I thought the ineptitude was funny, not the man who died.

Kind of figured that would be evident. Apparently not.

Actually two lost their life.

The RIO and Pilot.

It must have been quick if there were no radio transmissions from the aircraft.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 11:18 AM
link   

kingofyo1

No question the ineptitude of the iranian military is funny. But we're all in agreement that its sad two men lost their lives over stupidity

Yes it is sad...

and I now regret ever posting in this thread.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   

kingofyo1

Maybe more depending on the reprisal for said act.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Much of the article is guesswork.
So what if there's a different spin to be put on it ?
Say there's a no fly zone around those facilities. And that the airplane was shot down because it intruded. And that the anti-aircraft crews are under express orders to launch on warning ? Because that's the only way they'll prevent the Israelis from destroying the facility ? What if that's the real story ? Because it's as plausible as anything else.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 12:14 PM
link   

I never knew this.

en.wikipedia.org...

The sole foreign customer for the Tomcat was the Imperial Iranian Air Force, during the reign of the last Shah (King) of Iran, Mohammad Reza Pahlavi. In the early 1970s, the Imperial Iranian Air Force (IIAF) was searching for an advanced fighter, specifically one capable of intercepting Soviet MiG-25 "Foxbat" reconnaissance flights. After a visit of U.S. President Richard Nixon to Iran in 1972, during which Iran was offered the latest in American military technology, the IIAF narrowed its choice to the F-14 Tomcat or McDonnell Douglas F-15 Eagle. Grumman Corporation arranged a competitive demonstration of the Eagle against the Tomcat before the Shah, and in January 1974, Iran ordered 30 F-14s and 424 AIM-54 Phoenix missiles, initiating Project Persian King, worth US$300 million. A few months later, this order was increased to a total of 80 Tomcats and 714 Phoenix missiles as well as spare parts and replacement engines for 10 years, complete armament package, and support infrastructure (including construction of the huge Khatami Air Base in the desert near Esfahan).

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Well Revolutionary Guard exists to keep the Iranian military in check so they no doubt have little ability to communicate or coordiante with each other. In many way the rivals for power in Iran. It is one reason the Iranian military is such a mess.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

They also cheated to get it. The F-15 had them beat in every category, so the pilots of the F-14, figured out exactly how much fuel they needed to perform the display, and put just a little more than that. That brought their weight down to where their thrust to weight ratio was slightly more on par with the F-15. IIRC, they decided to do a touch and go at the end, and ran out of fuel on the runway.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
That is tragic, even if I don't like the country I do not wish death on anyone.

Prayers for the officer's and pilot's families even if they would not show the same regard towards me.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

They would have been well served had they ordered 40 F-14's, and 40 F-15's, but hindsight is 20/20.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

I've seen you post that before, re "cheating".

Doesn't the AIM-54, at that time, best of what was available, a factor in the decision as well?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join