It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop the Fukushima fear mongering!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Clairaudience

Stop the Fukushima fear mongering!

It is time we put an end to the fear mongering surrounding the Fukushima disaster.
The amount of unfounded and ill-informed threads and comments on ATS concerning the Fukushima incident have blown out of proportion, and sadly this is not only true for ATS but the general media coverage on the event as-well.

All I ask of you is to reconsider your current beliefs, and maybe we can restore the confidence in this amazing source of energy.

OP,

I hear they are hiring at Fukushima for site clean-up.

And from what I see in your post you meet all the requirements.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Go solar!!!!

Hey it helps to do some research before you go posting something like that,OP.

Just saying.......

www.fukuleaks.org...

Peace,
K

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

nvm

edit on 4-11-2013 by FlySolo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
The OP is right. That's correct, I said it.

You all need to get your kefali out of your kolos.

Some radiation is good for you and the bad stuff isn't really that bad. You want proof? Fine.

Great Britain's National Radiological Protection Board stated in 2002 from EPA.GOV website; that:

Based on experimentation with ionizing radiation and human epidemiology, exposure to radiation from cesium-137 can result in malignant tumors and shortening of life. Great Britain's National Radiological Protection Board (NRPB) predicts that there will be up to 1,000 additional cancers over the next 70 years among the population of Western Europe exposed to fallout from the accident at Chernobyl.

www.epa.gov...

Since we all know government institutions lie ALL THE TIME, then we can assume the above quote is wrong. And since Chernobyl was a flash in the pan compared to Fukushima then we can only deduce that this lie is that much bigger!

Furthermore, Cesium acts like potassium and Stronium acts like Calcium therefore both Calcium and Potassium can be replaced with Cesium and Stronium just like we substitute real food with GMO. No harm, no foul.

ALL HAIL NUCLEAR POWER!

Now get back to work.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Realtruth
I hear they are hiring at Fukushima for site clean-up.

And from what I see in your post you meet all the requirements.

Actually they have laxed their policy. My neighbor can't work for a power plant ever again due to lifetime exposure but was invited to Fukushima for a 3 month rotation.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

The Fukushima Daiichi plant was a bad idea from the get go and a recipe for disaster since its inception. The design is extremely poor, especially considering the seismically active, tsunami prone location. "Hey, lets build a nuclear facility right here on this fault line by the ocean. We can build it so that the fuel storage areas can be suspended precariously 100 feet off the ground with no plans OR facility to store or recycle the spent rods! Won't that be great?! We can also skimp on safety regulations and maintenance just to increase the awesome!"

Some build a house of cards to watch it fall.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 04:42 PM
link   

PrimeLight
Some build a house of cards to watch it fall.

While others await the fall to build anew.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
nuclear power is a proven fail. the cons FAR outwiegh the pros. and fukushima? no amount of 'fear mongering' can do justice to how bad it really is.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I agree with the Op that the Fearmongering need to stop!

But not with the rest of his Posting.

Sadly he is gone but i am not surprised when i see the amount
of People who start to get "noisy" and repeating wrong Information,
it is very difficult to correct their Ideas on and on!

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 06:57 PM
link   
I see everyone is having a hayday attacking the OP, rather than taking into consideration that perhaps he/she is just another member of society who believes the propaganda they've been spoon fed for two generations on how "safe, clean, and green" nuclear power is.

Maybe the OP just needs to be helped along with some eye-opening educational information rather than tossing around the ad hominems ?

Try to keep in mind folks, that each and every one of us has "been there, done that" on a number of subjects that took us years to slowly peel away the blinders we had on due to the lies and crap we were fed with all our lives.

So on that note, allow me to take the first step in the spirit of ATS community by helping another fellow human being to "deny ignorance":

Nuclear meltdown vs nuclear bomb detonation:

The radioactive isotopes created in an atomic blast are relatively short-lived due to the nature of the blast. Most of the isotopes literally get consumed from the energy burst. And most of those radioactive materials from an atomic blast have a maximum half-life of 50 years.

Whereas a nuclear reactor is designed to utilize the full extent of fission in producing power from a slow, sustained reaction process. This reaction results in the creation of nuclear waste materials that are relatively long-lived, which means that the initial radiation burst from a meltdown may be much lower than that of a bomb, but it lasts much longer. Some of those isotopes from this particular process have half-lives of hundreds to thousands upon thousands of years.

A nuclear bomb is a fast blast either on the ground or high in the air causing immediate damage in its blast radius, but dissipating quickly. Whereas a nuclear meltdown seeps into the soil and water table... thus getting into the food chain.

It's also important to note that a nuclear bomb contains approximately 100-150 lbs of fission material, whereas a nuclear reactor uses up to 50,000 lbs per year.

This is why Hiroshima and Nagasaki where eventually able to be rehabitated again.

Long story short:

Short-lived particles (quick exposure) vs long-lived particles (bioaccumulation).

There is no comparison.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Clairaudience

Fact of the matter is, the effects and consequences of the Fukushima incident locally as well as globally are minimal and insignificant, in the short term and long term. There have been zero deaths attributed to the radiation thus far, and none are to be expected in the future.

Hmmm...

High thyroid cancer rates detected in Fukushima children

www.abc.net.au...

Time for the hoax bin for this thread?
edit on 4-11-2013 by captaintyinknots because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

You may be correct in that this could be due to a lack of education on the matter.

With that in mind, here is a paper hat may be of interest to the OP and or anyone else who seems to think that all is well in the land of atomic power.

A Review and Critical Analysis of the "Effective Dose of Radiation" Concept

This review posits there are serious problems with both the concept of an effective dose and the methodology behind its calculation, and that a new framework is needed. In order to study the issues and drawbacks of the official concept of radiation safety, and to assist readers in understanding the basis of his argument, the author sums up and critiques the current system's main basic postulates and conclusions.

This examination adheres to the following limitations:

* All discussion focuses on the radiation safety of a general population and does not include professional exposure (i.e. the accidental irradiation from anthropogenic sources, in addition to the natural background level of radiation, versus individuals experiencing the effects of controlled irradiation by few radionuclides);

* The term "irradiation" relates to artificial sources of radiation in low doses, defined here as levels under 0.1 Gy (100 mSv).

In summary, the concept of an individual effective equivalent dose is based on a series of arguments that are out-dated and faulty, leading to unsupportable conclusions. Even the data used to arrive at these conclusions comes from sources that are sometimes unreliable due to political or historical exigencies. A new way to think about radiation safety, using the realities of modern data and science, must be constructed.
emphasis mine

There is much to suggest that the data being used to support the safety of nuclear power is in serious need of review.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   

daryllyn
The Fukushima Daiichi plant was a bad idea from the get go and a recipe for disaster since its inception. The design is extremely poor, especially considering the seismically active, tsunami prone location.

Speaking to the design of the plant itself:

The NRC database of nuclear power plants shows that 23 of the 104 nuclear plants in the U.S. are GE boiling-water reactors with GE's Mark I systems for containing radioactivity, the same containment system used by the reactors in trouble at the Fukushima Dai-ichi plant.

investigations.nbcnews.com...

GE's design for a nuclear reactor at a damaged Japanese power plant spurred the 1970s resignation of three employees over concern that its core might not withstand the loss of cooling systems in a severe accident, ABC News reported.

The loss of cooling scenario is different, but does indicate questionable design nevertheless.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I am trying to design a word around fear mongering. I initially called it fluff mongering. It could also be called cute mongering or cuddle mongering. The Fukushima disaster has directly influenced me to think this up. There are so many people who just want to stick their head in the sand and believe the world is a wonderful happy loving safe place. Just doesn't work that way. Reality comes with 'real' dangers.

I just post the news in this forum about Fukushima if I find it somewhere and do my own scientific research. There is no fear mongering. In fact this disaster is under reported and cuddle mongered to death. Tepco has been called a liar by the Japanese government so not only do we have this cuddle mongered to death by the MSM we have it being lied about and cuddle mongered by Tepco.

The Japanese government was also suppressing the information but has stopped and just decided to point the finger at Tepco. Fear mongering? Not really. A fight for survival and our right to know, yes.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:13 PM
link   
If Nuclear Fission isn't so bad how come they make dirty bombs out of it, then the area they drop it in is unlivable afterwards.

OP has showed his a genius at posting Darwin Award deserving threads.
edit on 4/11/2013 by amraks because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Nuclear fission is safe, clean, and well regulated (hopefully) for the most part.

TEPCO was not and they are still confused on what to do so they created an unsafe very hazardous situation.

The problem is that politicians are taking hold on what happened at Fukushima and are using it to their advantage, by telling people that nuclear power is evil etc etc... Which is clearly not the case if well regulated and maintained. The problem is when people post a bunch of propaganda material that are over-exaggerated and it hurts civilization more than it helps because nuclear power -can- and is mostly used in a good way.

Does nuclear power provide clean air? No, but it doesn't exactly contaminate it either. What it does do is the waste contaminates the soil where they bury it but they don't have to bury it as from my understanding when I asked what can be done about nuclear waste. It can be recycled or at least be stored to be recycled in the future.

I don't believe in closing down every nuclear power plant because TEPCO was greedy as #. Do you see BP and all the other oil companies still in business? Yes. Why? They contaminated the ocean right? Well, why aren't they fired? Because politics gets involved and that's all there is to it. Obama for example said that he would ban offshore drilling but told Brazil to drill instead and we would buy from them. It amounts to the same thing except we pay more for oil.

Getting rid of nuclear power will not solve anything, it will just create a higher demand for energy because a source was removed. What happened in Japan, happened and there's not much that can be done about it. But as anything that is science, we can learn from their mistakes and make sure that our power plants are secure for those types of disasters, even though a nuclear plant in Ohio will not get hit by a tsunami but it might get hit by an earthquake. My point is, there's too much sensationalizing over this and too many false facts that are being spread. What's more is that this event has created a lot of hate against Japan, which doesn't make sense because the people in Japan have nothing to do with the greed and stupidity that happened at TEPCO and in the government.

Japan is a great place to visit even today (go there if you can), nuclear power is safe if well regulated and maintained, and TEPCO screwed up but it's not the end of the world and we won't need to wear hasmat suits in 20 years.
edit on 4-11-2013 by Em2013 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:49 PM
link   

rickymouse
Fukushima is more a threat to the stability of our food supply than to us directly. Indirectly it is a major threat not because of this particular incident but because of the risky places they have placed these plants all over the world.
Yup,I put all seafood on hold ...just to be safe.Don't want to get cancer from a tuna on wheat.That would be a hell of a way to go.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Go solar!!!!

Hey it helps to do some research before you go posting something like that,OP.

Just saying.......

www.fukuleaks.org...

Peace,
K

Greetings esteemed member kdog1982

We recognize a friendly bark from a dark corner...ruf-fuf!

Speaking of research, this may be of interest.

FukuGate: We've been conned

711 days after Fukushima changed the world forever on 3/11/11

FukuFlu-Fallout Fluenza-Radiation Rainouts Target North America

Radiation Watch 2013

The World Must Take Charge at Fukushima

Peace Love Light
tfw
Liberty & Equality or Revolution

FALLOUT CLOCK - Elapsed Time since March 11, 2011, 2:46 PM - Fukushima, Japan

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Em2013
Nuclear fission is safe, clean, and well regulated (hopefully) for the most part.

TEPCO was not and they are still confused on what to do so they created an unsafe very hazardous situation.

The problem is that politicians are taking hold on what happened at Fukushima and are using it to their advantage, by telling people that nuclear power is evil etc etc... Which is clearly not the case if well regulated and maintained. The problem is when people post a bunch of propaganda material that are over-exaggerated and it hurts civilization more than it helps because nuclear power -can- and is mostly used in a good way.

Does nuclear power provide clean air? No, but it doesn't exactly contaminate it either. What it does do is the waste contaminates the soil where they bury it but they don't have to bury it as from my understanding when I asked what can be done about nuclear waste. It can be recycled or at least be stored to be recycled in the future.

I don't believe in closing down every nuclear power plant because TEPCO was greedy as #. Do you see BP and all the other oil companies still in business? Yes. Why? They contaminated the ocean right? Well, why aren't they fired? Because politics gets involved and that's all there is to it. Obama for example said that he would ban offshore drilling but told Brazil to drill instead and we would buy from them. It amounts to the same thing except we pay more for oil.

Getting rid of nuclear power will not solve anything, it will just create a higher demand for energy because a source was removed. What happened in Japan, happened and there's not much that can be done about it. But as anything that is science, we can learn from their mistakes and make sure that our power plants are secure for those types of disasters, even though a nuclear plant in Ohio will not get hit by a tsunami but it might get hit by an earthquake. My point is, there's too much sensationalizing over this and too many false facts that are being spread. What's more is that this event has created a lot of hate against Japan, which doesn't make sense because the people in Japan have nothing to do with the greed and stupidity that happened at TEPCO and in the government.

Japan is a great place to visit even today (go there if you can), nuclear power is safe if well regulated and maintained, and TEPCO screwed up but it's not the end of the world and we won't need to wear hasmat suits in 20 years.
edit on 4-11-2013 by Em2013 because: (no reason given)

These seems to be taken from the "i heart nuclear power" campaign. Peachbottom (read the docs posted here), Hanford. San Onofre, Fukashima, Three Mile Island and of course Chernobyl. I'd mentioned the Russian Subs in the ocean too, and the DU in Iraq (which came from the materials generated by nuclear power) but that seems pointless. What other producer of steam creates this much of a mess?

Since those who insisted we have this power knew there was no way to deal with the waste that was left after bomb making was done, it begs the question: were they so desperate for bomb making materials to make efficient killing devices that they figured we'd all be nuked dead before the waste became an issue?

If we take away the true notion that these things were built for bomb making material at rate payers expense then we are left with: Who figures steam is so damn hard to come by on this planet that the waste that keeps on giving is well worth the cost?

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 02:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Clairaudience

I have NO idea how the person starting this thread has so many stars, nor what kind of ignorance would lead anyone to give stars, or how to get these people to OPEN THEIR EYES and pay attention to world renowned physicists that say this is more than even dangerous, but very likely catastrophic. Quit watching Fox News and other Head in the Sand sources. If ignorance is bliss, these star givers and the OP must be quite happy. Please, just make an attempt to get news from another source, if only for the sake of Know Thy Enemy (unless of course, you are intelligent enough to switch sides and Get Real).

enenews.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join