It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stop the Fukushima fear mongering!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Stop the Fukushima fear mongering!

It is time we put an end to the fear mongering surrounding the Fukushima disaster.
The amount of unfounded and ill-informed threads and comments on ATS concerning the Fukushima incident have blown out of proportion, and sadly this is not only true for ATS but the general media coverage on the event as-well.

I've seen it reported that the amount of radioactive water being poured into the ocean is 30,000 tons per day. If this were true, which its not, then it would take approximately 137,000 years for this accident to contaminate a whopping one percent of the ocean. The actual number is close to 300 tons per day...so really it would take 13,700,000 years to contaminate the ocean 1 percent.

By the way, 300 tons per day is the equivalent of 16 common garden hoses pouring into the ocean. It would take seven or eight days for this leak to fill an Olympic size swimming pool.

Cesium is water soluble so the radioactivity is quickly diluted by the 1.3 billion cubic kilometers of sea water in the ocean. One nuclear reactor cannot contaminate the entire Earth. They all said we were going to die when Chernobyl happened too. You should be more worried about the nuclear bombs they test within and near the US.

LINK

I also want to add that there are natural occurring radiation sites beneath the ocean and on land that release a hundredfold more radiation than Fukushima and Chernobyl together and yet the world hasn't come to an end, nor has our food supply been affected, our water sources, or the overall health of the human population.

Fact of the matter is, the effects and consequences of the Fukushima incident locally as well as globally are minimal and insignificant, in the short term and long term. There have been zero deaths attributed to the radiation thus far, and none are to be expected in the future.

Nuclear power is the safest, cleanest and most efficient form of energy we have. It saddens me that the amount of misinformation out there has undermined and corrupted the future of nuclear energy and its revolutionizing potential to finally end the energy crisis. Now we are less likely to see big investments and major progress in nuclear technology which could ultimately make it even safer and more reliable.

All I ask of you is to reconsider your current beliefs, and maybe we can restore the confidence in this amazing source of energy.

+35 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:01 AM
link   
as the tepco man in the expensive suit said
Radiation can't hurt you if you keep smiling

no fear mongering round here

I know up here in Cnada we stopped any harm coming from Fukushima cold in it's tracks by simply turning off the west coast monitors

Yay!
go Harper

edit on 4-11-2013 by Danbones because: (no reason given)

+5 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Que movie in 3..2..1 ...

But really links or it didn't happen ...

And not to any of your employers websites either

+34 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Clairaudience

I can't believe this thread. You can't be serious.
"Cleanest, safest...power" that we have?

One solitary facility in Japan is virtually killing the center of Japan (if nothing else), is out of control such that nobody has a good solution for it, and you harp on how nice it is for us? the topic is beyond debate from the position you have chosen.

Rather than consider you a shill for the industry or simply uninformed, I suspect you are merely after ego stars and flags.

edit on 4-11-2013 by Aliensun because: (no reason given)

+17 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Boy oh Boy~~~ GOOD MORNING ~ ATS!!! This is a spot saver! Be ready to defend! The troops are forming and they will come!!!

If Chernobyl isn't so bad why don't you go and stay a week over there

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   

I am not sure to well understand. You are FOR the nuclear energy, not AGAINST ?

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Fukushima is more a threat to the stability of our food supply than to us directly. Indirectly it is a major threat not because of this particular incident but because of the risky places they have placed these plants all over the world.

+18 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Seriously??? Are you the president of Tepco???

I honestly don't see fear mongering threads about Fukushima. Just news reports updating the (dire) situation. You must be getting nervous that the reality is settling in.

Next!

+7 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I don't see how the production of radioactive waste is clean, safe, and reliable.

Dunno what planet you're from, but I don't think it's too safe to be exposed to that much radiation over such a long period of time. But please, not all of us are nuclear engineers, please explain to us how this method of energy production is as you described.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I hope OP brought his flame suit....

I was going to make a lengthy post, all nice and neat, succinct, sources and quotes, but I don't think it's worth my time to try and convince OP that maybe, just maybe.... Fukushima is a big deal.

The biggest danger in all of it is the potential amount of radionuclides that could be released in the event another large (insert natural disaster here) further destabilizes the weakened infrastructure on the site.

The Fukushima Daiichi plant was a bad idea from the get go and a recipe for disaster since its inception. The design is extremely poor, especially considering the seismically active, tsunami prone location.

"Hey, lets build a nuclear facility right here on this fault line by the ocean. We can build it so that the fuel storage areas can be suspended precariously 100 feet off the ground with no plans OR facility to store or recycle the spent rods! Won't that be great?! We can also skimp on safety regulations and maintenance just to increase the awesome!"

It doesn't take a nuclear expert to see that the whole thing was a very bad idea from the beginning.

If you can't see how serious it is, or the very real potential danger in the event that there is an accident with the fuel pool in building four, or the very real danger of another quake or tsunami further damaging the already compromised structure, or how incredibly stupid the design/location were to begin with, then I'm afraid there is nothing anyone can say.

edit on 4-11-2013 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
When Godzilla rises from the depths and starts terrorizing Tokyo, then you'll be a believer!

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   

Here is a good recent article OP. Read if you dare!

www.truth-out.org...

There are three major problems at Fukushima: (1) Three reactor cores are missing; (2) Radiated water has been leaking from the plant in mass quantities for 2.5 years; and (3) Eleven thousand spent nuclear fuel rods, perhaps the most dangerous things ever created by humans, are stored at the plant and need to be removed, 1,533 of those are in a very precarious and dangerous position. Each of these three could result in dramatic radiation events, unlike any radiation exposure humans have ever experienced.

*new clip*

Article is from today stating they will start to remove the spent fuel from Reactor #4 on November 8.

We can reduce risks by moving them to the common pool." The NRA’s announcement has received wide Press coverage in Japan, with most news outlets exploiting the opportunity to post elaborate worst case scenarios. Unfortunately, NRA Chair Shunichi Tanaka echoes these fears, “Handling spent fuels involves huge risks. It would be a disaster if radioactive materials come out of the metal rods during the work.”

www.hiroshimasyndrome.com...#!

Am I fear mongering or quoting officials!
edit on 4-11-2013 by UFO1414 because: (no reason given)

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   

I almost feel like you're trolling us all, because no one in their right mind would feel this way.

Favorite part has to be, "300 tons is equivalent to 16 garden hoses pouring into the ocean"..... Wow, that puts everything into perspective...

Hey, if Fukushima is really not that bad, why don't you go vacation there. I will even pay for it... Please take pictures of you and your family at the site please!! No suits needed either, because those who are wearing them are just fear mongering anyways, right??
edit on 4-11-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Thanks op!!

I needed a really good laugh this morning

Now to go clean the coffee I spewed all over my desk.

+4 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Audacious half truths and misinformation. Compare the releases at Chernobyl with FK and then come back and apologize. You've trivialized at least 10,000 additional cancer deaths a year. Probably north of 50,000 if they would turn the monitors back on and you could make accurate measurements.

The releases at FK are only limited by the physics not by human intervention. At least the Russians went after the fuel. Tepco is trying to sweep it under the rug and hope that people like you will convince people to ignore it. Letting for-profit corporations manage nuclear power plants will literally be the end of humanity.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   

The situation in japan is getting worse.
Now Tokyo is under threat from radioactive tap water.

www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.emergencyemail.org...

Would you be happy to live there,and let your young kids and family drink the radioactive water?

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Yes, I read a story yesterday stating that the water in Tokyo was extremely harmful for babies (under 1 years old)... Scary to think that people in Tokyo need to question the water they're giving their children due to what happened at Fukushima.. But going off of the OPs original post, I guess we're all just fear mongering.. Lets ignore all the professionals who have stated that this disaster will have a global effect...
edit on 4-11-2013 by jhn7537 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Well I heard that the radioation is much more than they told us. And if they lie about that, what else are they lieing about!! that means you can't trust them at all, and have to turn everything they say around.

I think it's also in the gulf stream. So it will hit land. and then its in drinking water, which we drink.

so you are the anti-fear monger. trying to lull us all into a glowing sense of calm.

I read this on the net, which makes it true.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join