It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Edward Snowden Releases “A Manifesto For The Truth”

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+28 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   

Time for a "breath of truth" from a man destined for greatness with respect to human rights throughout the world - not just here in America.

The greatest irony for me as a law abiding American citizen of long standing is that I never thought I would see the time come when another of my compatriots would have to flee America and go to Russia in order to find freedom. In so doing Edward Snowden has rightfully shamed this nation for their haughty stand against liberty; against justice, and most of all - against truth.

What will be the outcome of the "Snowden Affair?" Hopefully, that America in her present state of dictatorial arrogance will be humbled by the patriotic actions of Mr. Snowden and come to her senses.

What will the consequences be for us all if America cannot reform? The answer to that lies before you in what you are now experiencing through the actions of the NSA, DHS, CIA, FBI, TSA, et al., in the form of the beginnings of a Zionist inspired Stasi like police state. But that is only the beginning: take note especially of the emerging phenomenon of unbridled police brutality across the land.

Edward Snowden as a courageous man, along with the content of his revelations, has done a great service to his country by presenting all Americans with the opportunity - once and for all - to take action against an unjust oppressor.

Partial commentary from the article:

While Edward Snowden may be reviled at the top echelons of Western developed nations and is wanted in his native US on espionage charges for peeling back the curtain on how the gargantuan government machine truly works when it is not only engaged in chronic spying on anyone abroad, but worse, on its own people, the reality is that his whistleblowing revelations have done more to shift the narrative to the topic of dwindling individual liberties abused pervasively in the US and elsewhere, than anything else in recent years. And alongside that, have led to the first reform momentum of a system that is deeply broken. Which also happens to be the topic of a five-paragraph opinion piece he released today in German weekly Der Spiegel titled “A Manifesto For The Truth” in which he writes that his revelations have been useful and society will benefit from them and that he was therefore justified in revealing the methods and targets of the US secret service.

In the Op-Ed we read that “Instead of causing damage, the usefulness of the new public knowledge for society is now clear because reforms to politics, supervision and laws are being suggested.”

RT adds: “Spying as a global problem requires global solutions, he said, stressing that “criminal surveillance programs” by secret services threaten open societies, individual privacy and freedom of opinion.

“Citizens have to fight against the suppression of information about affairs of essential importance for the public,” Snowden said in his five-paragraph manifesto. Hence, “those who speak the truth are not committing a crime.”
Even with the existence of mass surveillance, spying should not define politics, Snowden said.

“We have a moral duty to ensure that our laws and values limit surveillance programs and protect human rights,” he wrote.

edit on 4-11-2013 by XionZap because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I'd like to read it and all, but "der spiegel" is trying to der spiegel 10MB of storage on my disk drive. And since the chancellor went to scold the US for spying on her, and came back saying, "OMG so happy they tapped my phone they was protecting us" I am not going to trust anything coming out of Germany.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I generally take a left-of-center stance on things political, but this is one instance when I stand with the government.

The secret affairs of free nations need to be kept secret, in most instances. There is no reason why China should know about our internal classified information.

There are times when phone taps are truly necessary; for instance in the Boston Marathon bomber case. If somebody tapped my line, I wouldn't be upset. They would soon perish from boredom and give it up.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by XionZap

Thanks, and a summary of Snowden's paper would be very nice to read. The fellow is becoming a world icon, and his actions have already encouraged others to play his game and release more data. As long as nobody gets hurt, and the surveillance state stays focused on the bad guys and not the people who live next door to the bad guys, things may actually right themselves a little into some kind of spy vs spy equalibrium.

+28 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   

boncho
I'd like to read it and all, but "der spiegel" is trying to der spiegel 10MB of storage on my disk drive. And since the chancellor went to scold the US for spying on her, and came back saying, "OMG so happy they tapped my phone they was protecting us" I am not going to trust anything coming out of Germany.

You know why this is right (that the Chancellor flipped)?

Because the NSA has dirt on her...and everyone else.
The NSA basically became the most powerful organization in the world once this program got up and running. With all political types being spied upon they can blackmail anyone they like. Influencing any political action they desire.
Its scary and I can't understand the thought process of the post below yours in light of this information

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   

boncho

The articles source was not Der Spiegel - even if it was - so what!
www.zerohedge.com...

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
Some here seem to be having difficulty accessing the source article so here is the remainder - its not all that long a piece.
CONTINUED from the OP
-

The type of persecution campaigns that governments started after being exposed, and threats of prosecution against journalists, who blew the whistle, were “a mistake” and did not “serve the public interest,” Snowden concluded.

But "at that time the public was not in a position to judge the usefulness of these revelations. People trusted that their governments would make the right decisions," he said.

Needless to say, all of the above points are spot on, which is why one hopes that Snowden does not intend on returning to the US to defend himself with only truth and justice to lean on, because the US Judicial system is just as broken, if not more, as every other aspect of a tentacular government, intent on growing to even more epic proportions and silencing anyone and everyone who stands in its way.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:20 AM
link   

XionZap

boncho

www.zerohedge.com...

Snowden's manifesto is on Der Spiegel, I tried reading the actual copy but the source is trying to store something on my computer. Given the topic, I would rather not have a pop up.

I have enough computer problems with pr0n, I don't need my hard drive uploading itself to a server in Utah while I am trying to get sales reports together…

I am one of the few ATSers that reads the actual source for articles….

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by XionZap

The source of the article is found here, Snowden's Manifesto… and OP, learn how to source your source! It will make your threads 100x better.

Snowden released a 5 paragraph "manifesto" which is what your source is writing about.

Some of us only care about what Snowden said, not what people have to say about what he said. It's the difference between news and spin.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Personally, I think Snowden hadn't been getting enough attention lately, and narcissist that he is, he can't have that. Time to get his name back in the news, hence, the manifesto.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 09:03 AM
link   

XionZap

Time for a "breath of truth" from a man destined for greatness

Oh... be still my throbbing vomit sack.

The guy wanted to be super spy, couldn't 'hack' it and decided to spill the beans.

Seriously.. stop making him neo jesus..

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   

boncho

XionZap

boncho

www.zerohedge.com...

Snowden's manifesto is on Der Spiegel, I tried reading the actual copy but the source is trying to store something on my computer. Given the topic, I would rather not have a pop up.

I have enough computer problems with pr0n, I don't need my hard drive uploading itself to a server in Utah while I am trying to get sales reports together…

I am one of the few ATSers that reads the actual source for articles….

For the purposes of this thread - I did NOT SOURCE DER SPIEGEL OK????? I explained it to you all two times - what is the big deal anyhow ??????

A Manifesto for the Truth
by Edward Snowden, November 04, 2013

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 09:10 AM
link   

winofiend

XionZap

The guy wanted to be super spy, couldn't 'hack' it and decided to spill the beans.

Hackneyed quotes are frowned upon here on ATS - Its always a good thing to quote properly OK - I would like to prevent intentional distortions of truth so please re-read the passage again - thank you. - "Time for a "breath of truth" from a man destined for greatness with respect to human rights throughout the world - not just here in America."

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   

XionZap

winofiend

XionZap

Its always a good thing to quote properly OK - I would like to prevent intentional distortions of truth so please re-read the passage again - thank you. - "Time for a "breath of truth" from a man destined for greatness with respect to human rights throughout the world - not just here in America."

Ahh you are right.

That changes everything.

Ahh.. somehow?

.. actually it makes it more pathetic that this guy is raised to the status you raise him.

"Look at me, I'm a spy Yay! oh wait, I'm not important enough, so watch me tell you guys all the secrets!! Now I'm important yay!"

nah..

edit on 4-11-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   

winofiend

XionZap

winofiend

XionZap

Its always a good thing to quote properly OK - I would like to prevent intentional distortions of truth so please re-read the passage again - thank you. - "Time for a "breath of truth" from a man destined for greatness with respect to human rights throughout the world - not just here in America."

Ahh you are right.
That changes everything.
Ahh.. somehow?

As you well know - "Hackneyed quotes are frowned upon here on ATS " So in order to avoid intentional distortions of truth please read the passage again - thank you. "Time for a "breath of truth" from a man destined for greatness with respect to human rights throughout the world - not just here in America."

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 09:17 AM
link   

XionZap
As you well know - "Hackneyed quotes are frowned upon here on ATS "

Ahh,

Quoting excessively is more of a burden to the reader.

distractions... but as I edited my post to reflect, snowden is not a human rights activist. He's a spy who failed.

you forget he got into that game with the full intention of being what he exposed.
edit on 4-11-2013 by winofiend because: name spelling edit

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   

winofiend

XionZap

Ahh, Quoting excessively is more of a burden to the reader. distractions... but as I edited my post to reflect, snowdon is not a human rights activist. He's a spy who failed. you forget he got into that game with the full intention of being what he exposed.

We are all entitled to our specific agendas. As for ES not being a Human Rights activist? The whole world seems to be in disagreement with you. With the exception of GB - The only ones labeling him a spy and/or a traitor are the rogue agencies (all mentioned above in the OP) that support the runaway American government.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 09:30 AM
link   

winofiend

XionZap

Ahh,

Quoting excessively is more of a burden to the reader.

distractions... but as I edited my post to reflect, snowden is not a human rights activist. He's a spy who failed.

you forget he got into that game with the full intention of being what he exposed.
edit on 4-11-2013 by winofiend because: name spelling edit

And so is the catch-22 of life. I can't respect the guy because of it. I put loyalty near the top of the list. If it was someone outside of the industry, then it's entirely different. Problem is, they would never be privy to such information.

While I welcome the result, it never sits right. I sit around wondering how long till he figures out Russia ain't that transparent and it too likes to spy on people, kill people, lie to people, etc.

But if he's fine over there, maybe he was just discontent with his life, or the position he had in the company. Who knows…

Although, the general rule of law across the board is supposed to be, if you see your superiors doing something illegal you are supposed to disseminate it. (Up the proper chain of command.) And since we know how well liked whistle blowers are, I can't fully condemn him either.
edit on 4-11-2013 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 09:31 AM
link   

boncho
reply to post by XionZap

The source of the article is found here, Snowden's Manifesto… and OP, learn how to source your source! It will make your threads 100x better.
Snowden released a 5 paragraph "manifesto" which is what your source is writing about.
Some of us only care about what Snowden said, not what people have to say about what he said. It's the difference between news and spin.

This Op knows full well how to source material. AGAIN - I chose to NOT quote from Der Spiegel. My primary interest is in getting these points across to the reader, (see below) and apparently I was moderately successful in that regard with the exception of a few 'malcontents'

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
A word of advice for all of you who bear such an animosity for Edward Snowden -

As a worthy comparison - Please read up on the sacrifices made by other American heros - The most appropriate example of which - in this particular case - would be Nathan Hale who was a soldier for the Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War. He volunteered for an intelligence-gathering mission in New York City but was captured by the British and hanged. He is probably best remembered for his purported last words before being hanged: "I only regret that I have but one life to give for my country." Hale has long been considered an American hero and, in 1985, he was officially designated the state hero of Connecticut.

Snowden chose life over death so to get the word out to the world - a modern Paul Revere!!!A Manifesto for the Truth

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join