It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australian Electoral Commission apologises for lost senate votes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 06:54 AM
link   

A large number of ballot papers lost in Western Australia could see the result of today's senate race immediately challenged in the High Court. This morning the AEC's commissioner Ed Killesteyn fronted the press for the first time to apologise for the failure, which could even see voters sent back to the polls, as Matt O'Neil reports.

Wonder how many other states this has happened in.

‘This is 1.4 million ballots, bearing in mind that these are the largest senate ballot papers that they’ve ever had in WA.’ Clive Palmer says that corruption is at play, however Mr Killestyn defended his organisation saying that he had ‘absolute confidence’ in the integrity of his AEC officers.

Source: ABC(AU)
They should never of been lost in the first place being so big.

I think Clive Palmer gives more of a damn than any other politicians this shows his stance on corruption of ballot voting. but then again this could give liberal control of the senate according to the AEC they are already calling it.

This needs attention we should go back and revote.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Clive Palmer doesn't give a damn about corruption.
What he gives a damn about is seizing another publicity opportunity to raise people's awareness of his disgrace of a political party.
The man is not interested in bettering Australia or the lives of it's citizens. What he is interested in is furthering his own private business opportunities and his own personal wealth. He has chosen to do this by inserting him self into politics.
He is a billionaire. He didn't become a billionaire by giving a damn about the little guy.
While we are a democracy and it is his right to stand for election, people should think not twice, but thrice on voting for him or one of his candidates.

What Clive Palmer represents is as worse(if not worse) then what Pauline Hanson and her One Nation party represented.

Corruption? Perhaps. But I believe a minor party candidate got up in the senate vote..Shooters and Recreation party or something like that. It's not like one of the two majors benefited from 1,400 lost ballot papers.
And lets be honest, this sort of thing does not happen on a regular basis. It is rare for something like this to happen in Australia. To yell and scream it's corruption is ridiculous. Call for an investigation into what happened, and how to prevent it from happening again, sure. But to call it corruption straight up is nonsense, and Clive Palmer is only looking to score political points and muddy the waters for his opponents who will be around in politics probably a lot longer then he or his party will.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
I cant stand this guy:

"I have recommended to our party that Julian Assange contest the WA Senate election as our lead candidate," WikiLeaks Party spokesman Gerry Georgatos said in a statement.

www.abc.net.au...

Firstly the Court of Disputed Returns has not yet ruled we are to have a re-election; Second, surely changing candidates (especially one so high profile as Assange) would alter the outcome. Third: Assange isnt even from WA...

I will now hold Gerry personally responsible for every #-up of the Abbott/Palmer government.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by iBallinU

Nothing wrong with Pauline Hanson.

I wouldn't even compare her to Clive Palmerm, thats a bit like comparing a Cheese Burger to Mexican food worlds apart dude...

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   

iBallinU
Corruption? Perhaps. But I believe a minor party candidate got up in the senate vote..Shooters and Recreation party or something like that. It's not like one of the two majors benefited from 1,400 lost ballot papers.
And lets be honest, this sort of thing does not happen on a regular basis. It is rare for something like this to happen in Australia. To yell and scream it's corruption is ridiculous. Call for an investigation into what happened, and how to prevent it from happening again, sure. But to call it corruption straight up is nonsense, and Clive Palmer is only looking to score political points and muddy the waters for his opponents who will be around in politics probably a lot longer then he or his party will.

You think our system is honest?

top topics

join