It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Facebook Wants To Track Your Mouse Cursor

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
I am frankly baffled by the folks who seem to figure that because our privacy is violated in 100 different ways already, 101 is almost expected to the point of being welcomed.

Agreed. The real-life version of this thinking would be like the stalked person thinking, "Well, he/she already follows me around 24/7, I guess rummaging around my underwear drawer is ok." There is a breaking point that all of us have, "Enough is enough". Some hit it sooner than others, some never do. Whether or not the snooping is deserved is not the point.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 12:17 AM
link   
This is again why my Facebook account is completely fake. I once back in the day had a real one. Every ex and stalker I ever had came out of the woodwork. "If I haven't spoken to you in a decade there's a reason why". Best way I can put it. If they like watching me play dumb games and want to track a completely fictitious person across the Internet, have fun! I have one real friend on there the rest are just random friend requests. The real friend is just someone I have played video games with across the Internet. Never even met them.

So again completely fake account, I also use it for Disqus. It's easier to use Facebook to sign in and post a comment. I call the place Stupidbook. I don't think it would be smart for anyone to put their real info on that site or connect with their real friends. I have a phone, call me! Heck I even have text. I am not addicted to it but I have met some real Facebook addicts in my day. That 'type' of people worry me. It has also just turned into another Myspace with a horrendous amount of fakers. Don't forget the angles!

Anyone seen Myspace the movie? Where you been? A recent news article points out that there is a mass exodus of teens from Facebook. We can only hope the rest of the planet follows suit. I dunno who's left on Myspace but I am guessing that's what will be left on Facebook in the near future. Teens seem to drive the new and 'trendy' social networks. Yeah I said trendy, that's an Alex Jones thing.

edit on 5-11-2013 by Pimpintology because: of fluoride!

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I'm sure it will be to tell when your actually idle since people leave computers on and pages open all day and night. I don't know how they will tell if its just tab open but mouse is still moving as it won't play into what they want.

On the evil side of things a mouse like a keyboard can be fingerprinted to a user. They have done this with typing in order to find a person by not just words and arrangements but how they type, pauses etc.

I thought I always remember people saying the parent company of FB being owned by CIA so when you sign E agreements it also states in the agreements you give your rights over to that company which is The Company basically. Aka CIA.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Nyiah
"Well, he/she already follows me around 24/7, I guess rummaging around my underwear drawer is ok."

Hahaha oh gawd! I laughed so hard when I read that. Way funnier then the bewb comment made earlier in the thread. Glad I wasn't drinking anything.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
I am waiting for the "facebook wants to access microphones and webcams to search for products and key phrases for targeted ads" article...

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:52 AM
link   

LOL at wants to.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   

RocksFromSpace
If your stupid enough to be on Facebook you deserve every spy tool they have on you.

Absolutely true.

Unfortunately, many of our citizens caught in that particular honey pot are minors or adults sleep-walking thru life. Some of the facebook posts I've read about on other websites lead me to believe that many of these people are seriously limited in intellect as well.

I'm wondering how long it will take anonymous, or another group, to attack this garbage pit. Is it possible to de-link a URL from the DNS servers?

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Plenty of websites already do this. There are services like clicktale, mouseflow and others that track cursor movement among other things.

I wonder if facebook developed their own tech to do this or they are using some service, bought the company or what?

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Unfortunately, the capability of tracking mouse cursor movements is built into the web browsers themselves. It's a basic function of desktop GUI's, windows and icons that an application can request all mouse movements and keyclicks if it needs to. And web browsers are applications. Then Facebook sits inside the web browser and sends whatever it can back home. Some web browsers even allow the contents of the cut-copy-and-paste buffers to be sent out.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Wrabbit , it is great to see that you are still posting great stuff after being modded ( congratulations on that good sir )
Anyone with half a brain should have known that FB was data mining & selling out to advertisers from the start. I have a WTF moment when someone says to me hit me up on FB.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Talk about control freaks.

They already know where my courser goes, to what ever link I click on. Now they want to know who's photo I repeatedly mock slap back and forth with my mouse? WHY?

What a bunch of perverted, sick, bastards!

The Rat.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 04:04 AM
link   
reply to post by pillock

Thanks, it's been a lot of things come at once, and a real rough path through midterms to add to that, so I've been thrown off my posting for a bit.. However, I've chosen to leave the somewhat understated color contrast to the Mod tag vs. my existing background so it doesn't stand out. I.E... I'm a contributor first and always, as no one discourages it, anyway. Whew.. Takes a bit to find the balance though.

Same here on FB... Until recently, I hadn't even been on it once. Really, I've had an account there by my wife making it for my son to play Farmville or whatever on, until very recently. Now just strictly for the professional thing and minimalist to the extreme on that. I naturally just rebel from such monster-scaled communities that, by nature, have SO much on so many 10's of millions of people.
edit on 6-11-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 05:05 AM
link   
They probably already are doing it. They just want to get your permission now (implied or real) so they can sell the data they collect.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 06:32 AM
link   
Their service is free, they make an obscene profit by exploiting your lack of privacy. If you don't like it, stop using it. It really is that simple.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 08:22 AM
link   
As a professional Web Application Programmer, I can tell you, that most, if not all, major websites do this already.

This is nothing new, and part of most marketing departments standard warfare. Everything you do on a site can be recorded and played back, with the correct 3rd party software.

It's not just facebook....

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Such technology is not exactly anything new. In my job I employ third party services to track "user behaviour" to essentially watch their sessions on the screen (note this does not activate webcams or anything silly like that ... it just tracks their movements on the screen, their inputs).

The question is whether this is being used anonymously (which is fine and required to provide more usable web services) or whether the moves are attached to an account/profile.

Google "Clicktale".

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
I have to say: I use facebook and I enjoy it.
There is nothing on my profile I have to hide, I don't care if they track my mousecourser.
All the info is not critical for me and people that have critical info on their profile/messages are simply idiots.
I see so many people that have no privacy settings implemented (against the public) and don't care what they upload (the info for facebook).
On my profile the NSA, Facebook, whoever can do whatever they want. nothing there. Just my friends.
Furthermore everybody should block tracking cookies in their browser, since almost every website uses tracking cookie and this is some critical info I DONT want to share with facebook or google.
I bet even ATS has tracking cookies on it.
ATS uses google analytics for example.
So if you complain about facebook, better block all the tracking cookies since they are almost everywhere.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   

xmaddness
As a professional Web Application Programmer, I can tell you, that most, if not all, major websites do this already.

This is nothing new, and part of most marketing departments standard warfare. Everything you do on a site can be recorded and played back, with the correct 3rd party software.

It's not just facebook....

I just spoke to a friend who designed web pages and he said pretty much the same thing.

The MAIN problem is the people giving away their personal info voluntarily. But hey, masses.. what do you expect?

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 03:14 AM
link   
Sure, it's rather creepy and invasive -- not to mention obnoxious -- but then FB provides a free service for those who want it.

I don't do FB. Never have, probably never will.

But what about the NSA and FBI doing the same, but to every site you go to? They already keep track of the sites you go to. I'm more worried about the government doing an all-encompassing monitoring scheme of everybody across the internet than one company that does this with its own site and acknowledges that it does so.

I am surprised however that so many people spend so much time on FB. Seems that there are a lot more interesting and informational places to go rather than FB.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 03:22 AM
link   
I'm thinking about tracking my every bowel movement very closely and typing it up into a report and mailing it to FB HQ. Maybe along with a stool sample they can keep on file.

I think they will appreciate it, cause they're all up in my s--t

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join