It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tesco Face Scanners To Target Till Adverts

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 05:35 AM
link   
Here we go... yet more Cameras and Scanners tracking us wherever we go...

news.sky.com...

Some of story:

Tesco is set to install hi-tech screens that scan customers' faces in petrol stations so that advertisements can be better targeted at them.

The retailer will introduce the OptimEyes screen, developed by Lord Sugar's Amscreen, to all 450 of its UK petrol stations, in a five-year deal, according to The Grocer magazine.

The screen, positioned at the till, scans the eyes of customers to determine age and gender, and then runs tailored advertisements.

The technology also adjusts adverts depending on the time and date, as well as monitoring customer purchases, The Grocer said.

Who wants to be bombarded with Adverts everywhere we/you go? Not me. I've got enough adverts on my Internet and on Sites which I never wanted Adverts but they are there... I certainly don't want Scanners checking me out when I walk down the street! Better off staying indoors these days so you can have some Privacy!
edit on 4-11-2013 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 05:43 AM
link   
Boycott Tesco?!

or wear sunglasses as you pay for petrol.

personally I try hard not to shop at Tesco if at all possible, and I don't have a car, so this isn't going to affect me much, but if it spreads to other retailers, then I might start to worry.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 05:52 AM
link   
Marketing.. nothing sinister.

I'm guessing, like other forms of marketing, it's scanning where you are looking.. Oh so you like that brand of smokes.. well then, lets remember you for next time.

Harmless really.. annoyingly harmless. it's all around us.

But lets all scream at the moon, poke holes in the air and never shop ever again!!! It's the done thing, I hear. *rawr Im not standing for this. I need a seat for it!*

Haha soon it will be necessary to wear an adblock plus hat when you go shopping. and then, weaing the adblock plus hat will be illegal. So you'll have to hack your brain hosts file to stop looking at the pretty packets... ooooh shiny..

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 05:58 AM
link   
I read about the technology a few months ago and didnt like it but thought i had years before it would 'hit the streets'. Very sad to hear that tescos is adopting it.

However its going to be easy for me to not shop at a tescos petrol station, their fuel is crappy anyway.

Yet another way to sell more crap to people and reduce the number of people in jobs. Automation like this is devolution, we got to where we are without adverts but now they are here and in our faces at every turn.

Expect robots on wheels to follow you round PC world trying to sell you a laptop... Well at least they may actually know somthing about their products! hehe.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 06:06 AM
link   
First they put cameras in Tesco,
and I did something, by not shopping in Tesco.

eventually cameras will be everywhere, I will have no free will
and I won't be able to do anything about it.
edit on 4-11-2013 by CrastneyJPR because: changed 'did nothing' to 'did something'

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 06:33 AM
link   
I'm a CCTV operator for a large Tesco store .. We won't be monitoring these new screens .. I think they are a waste of time tbh

As for the 'omg all those cameras watching us' .. It's nonsense
edit on 4-11-2013 by ThePeaceMaker because: Spelling

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I wonder if men who have "feminine features" will be shown tampon adverts?

That could get pretty annoying!

Or maybe you look a bit tired one morning and the screen tries to flog you incontinence pants!

I dislike any moving picture advertisements, like those garish looking national lottery ones, so these new screens are going to suck whether they work or not.
edit on 4-11-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 06:55 AM
link   
I stopped using Tesco as their self service checkouts always screwed up and required the assistance of a checkout monitor to sort out. If they can't even get their barcode scanners to work consistently, then I doubt they'll make much progress with more advanced technology!

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Biigs
I wonder if men who have "feminine features" will be shown tampon adverts?

That could get pretty annoying!

Or maybe you look a bit tired one morning and the screen tries to flog you incontinence pants!

I dislike any moving picture advertisements, like those garish looking national lottery ones, so these new screens are going to suck whether they work or not.
edit on 4-11-2013 by Biigs because: (no reason given)

Well if I look anything like my social habits the adverts will show rizla papers and cigs ... Oh and loads of chocolate adverts

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:12 AM
link   
reply to post by CrastneyJPR

That's the thing though, it's always a tiny push, wait to see reaction. No reaction? Ok another tiny push. It is getting ridiculous these days, ads everywhere..... It must work on the masses I guess, they wouldn't be spending boatloads of moneys on commercials and ads everywhere if they didn't work...... I think of it as subtle hypnosis myself, and avoid that crap like the plague. On some levels I think it does work, even on people that are aware of what is going on. If I never hear about all the useless gadgets and trinkets out there, I have no urge to buy it.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Britguy
I stopped using Tesco as their self service checkouts always screwed up and required the assistance of a checkout monitor to sort out. If they can't even get their barcode scanners to work consistently, then I doubt they'll make much progress with more advanced technology!

I love watching people use these half the time though the customer isn't following the instructions on the screen

From a staff point of view they are a nightmare too.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

TKDRL
reply to post by CrastneyJPR

That's the thing though, it's always a tiny push, wait to see reaction. No reaction? Ok another tiny push. It is getting ridiculous these days, ads everywhere..... It must work on the masses I guess, they wouldn't be spending boatloads of moneys on commercials and ads everywhere if they didn't work...... I think of it as subtle hypnosis myself, and avoid that crap like the plague. On some levels I think it does work, even on people that are aware of what is going on. If I never hear about all the useless gadgets and trinkets out there, I have no urge to buy it.

Yep, you are right.... first Tesco, then Sainsbury's, then Morrisons, after that first step it will then go onto other shops in the High Street... before you know it, you will have them in Restaurants, Museums and even Public Toilets!

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Shut up dude, don't give them the toilette idea! That's all we need is some thing scanning us and playing us crappy commercials when we gotta stand/sit there for a while to get business done lmao

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

theres already TVs above urinals...

so actually yes, expect poop'o'vision soon™

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Biigs
reply to post by TKDRL

theres already TVs above urinals...

so actually yes, expect poop'o'vision soon™

Technically poop o vision already exists, without lowering the tone my iPhone comes in handy when nature calls

CX

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

CrastneyJPR

eventually cameras will be everywhere, I will have no free will
and I won't be able to do anything about it.
edit on 4-11-2013 by CrastneyJPR because: changed 'did nothing' to 'did something'

Grow your own, unless you put cameras in your own garden, i think it's the way forward.

Damn sight cheaper than Tesco too.

CX.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Good God! You know advertising through free services is annoying, but I understand why it is there. But dammit I'm PAYING this company so I can stand outside my car and manually fill my gas tank. It's not like they give their gas out for free, and as far as I know they don't do full service either, so why do I have to be subjected to advertisements like this?

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

Face scanners at TESCO, sure, it's just marketing. Face scanners at airports, invasion of privacy. Data collection by Homeland Security, loss of freedom. Data collection by Facebook, well it is their system. Verizon tapping into voice calls, better way to market cell phones. NSA tapping into voice calls, it is a criminal offence.

So the government's problem is all in how they handle it. How about let us listen to your conversations, read your emails and track your activity and you get 15% off any and all future tax bills.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Wear sunglasses to protect your eyes, and avoid annoying ads. I know when I talk on my iPhone for too long it begins to cause a headache (too long on iPhone is 5-10 min). I don't trust what effects these things might have.

top topics

join