It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The greatest bands of all Time are/were mostly British

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 01:00 AM
link   
The Beatles, The Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, The Who. U2 is Irish other wise it would be on the list.

Fleetwood Mac is a British/American band.

Great American bands that I can think of are The Doors, The Eagles, Metallica Nirvana, Pearl jam.

Please feel free to add to the British list bands you consider of "lasting significance" and do the same for American bands.

I grew up in New Zealand but didn't really start to expand my musical knowledge till I lived in the US for nine years. Partly just listening to the eclectic music piped into the supermarket I worked at, partly listening to different radio stations and partly listening to music that friends played.

Let me know if you disagree with my statement that the greatest bands of all time are mostly British. I think they became the greatest by being prolific, selling millions of albums, lasting decades, touring far and wide and generally have hundreds of thousands possibly millions of life long fans.

Having said that I would say there's more variety of bands in America.

Also what are the greatest bands outside of the US/UK?

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 01:14 AM
link   
The Whole UK was/is blessed with great singers.

Every culture has their masters tho.

Journey was great!!

Journey - Faithfully
www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMD8hBsA-RI
www.youtube.com...

Journey - Wheel In The Sky
www.youtube.com/watch?v=MxGEVIvSFeY
www.youtube.com...

Just one of many great USA Bands.
edit on 4-11-2013 by AbleEndangered because: embed removal

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Creedence Clearwater Revival: Have You Ever Seen The Rain?
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gu2pVPWGYMQ
www.youtube.com...

Boston- More than A Feeling
www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSR6ZzjDZ94
www.youtube.com...

All these guys heavily influenced by the Beatles.

edit on 4-11-2013 by AbleEndangered because: embed removal

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ExPatRat

It is a conspiracy! I think the devil lives in England, they must have sold their souls. I kid. I do love those bands.
American bands : Beach Boys, Red Hot Chilli Peppers, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Ramones, Allman Brothers, and all those amazing Jazz artists, aka Miles Davis, Coltrane, Lois Armstrong.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 01:26 AM
link   
These guys are good too...

Sublime - Summertime (Doin' time) -- Lyrics
www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSte_c82p6U
www.youtube.com...

The Offspring - Gone Away
www.youtube.com/watch?v=numCZoBFcv4
www.youtube.com...

Incubus and Deftones pretty good as well.

edit on 4-11-2013 by AbleEndangered because: addition

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   
Bruce Springsteen - Born In The U.S.A.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPhWR4d3FJQ
www.youtube.com...

Staind - It's Been Awhile [OFFICIAL VIDEO]
www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2NGe9mLAEc
www.youtube.com...

edit on 4-11-2013 by AbleEndangered because: addition and embed removal

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 01:40 AM
link   
One more set of American Greatness:

Green Day - American Idiot [OFFICIAL VIDEO]
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ee_uujKuJMI
www.youtube.com...

Green Day - 21 Guns Official Music Video - HD
www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mke9EHMQMYI
www.youtube.com...

Green Day - Basket Case [Official Music Video]
www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUTGr5t3MoY
www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 01:50 AM
link   
Elvis wasn't... Isn't he the King? How about Jimi Hendrix? Etc.. Sorry... You have the Beatles that is it lol. Not arguing that Britain doesn't have good music, they do..
Firepiston

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 02:00 AM
link   

ExPatRat
Great American bands that I can think of are The Doors, The Eagles, Metallica Nirvana, Pearl jam.

I agree 100% about the British invasion stuff. (Don't forget ELO)

But I think you're forgetting the Boston band, The Cars. One of the best American music groups for that era.

Maybe they don't have the lasting influence The Doors had, (but neither does Nirvana, Metallica, Pearl Jam in my opinion.)

You can't listen to their first 3 albums and tell me they weren't great though. Heck, and they continued to be great up until their end. They did quite a lot musically in only a few short years.

edit on 4-11-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 02:20 AM
link   

NarcolepticBuddha

ExPatRat

I agree 100% about the British invasion stuff. (Don't forget ELO)

But I think you're forgetting the Boston band, The Cars. One of the best American music groups for that era.

Maybe they don't have the lasting influence The Doors had, (but neither does Nirvana, Metallica, Pearl Jam in my opinion.)

You can't listen to their first 3 albums and tell me they weren't great though. Heck, and they continued to be great up until their end. They did quite a lot musically in only a few short years.

edit on 4-11-2013 by NarcolepticBuddha because: (no reason given)

You think The Cars or the Doors have bigger influence then Metallica? That right there renders your musical opinions moot. As for the OP,none of the bands you mentioned should be in the same sentence as the beatles.The Who just suck..and the rest are way over rated. Especially Sabbath and Zeppelin.That's my opinion though

edit on 4-11-2013 by nightstalker78 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by ExPatRat

Soooo wrong.

You are way off. While the UK may have had the greatest band with the Beatles, the US has more. Most of the greatbands are from the US, but some of the greatest are fron the UK during the two british invasions.

Uk
Beatles, Rolling Stones, The Kinks, The Who, Black Sabbath, T Rex, The Smiths, The Cure, Tears for Fears, and The Clash.

US
The Beach Boys, Byrds, Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers, Tommy James and the Shondells, The Four Seasons, Bruce Springsteen, Buddy Holly and the Crickets, Talking Heads, Ramones, Wilco, Nirvana, Creedence Clearwater Revival, the Velvet Underground, The Stooges, The Doors, Grateful Dead, the Replacements, the Flaming Lips, the Pixies, Frank Zappa and the mothers of invention, the Strokes, and you coukd possibly include Elvis when he was with a band.

And nowadays it seems the UK is really not producing many great bands (with the exception of the arctic monkeys). The US is pouring out great bands now. I would say we are sending you guys more artists nowadays. MGMT, Arcade Fire, and so on.
edit on 4-11-2013 by GogoVicMorrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by nightstalker78

The Doors definately have more influence than Metallica. And I'm not really a fan of either. Metallica had a short period of greatness, but I wouldn't list them as one of the greatest American bands. See my above list for a short list of the greats though its still missing quite a bit.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 02:34 AM
link   

nightstalker78
You think The Cars or the Doors have bigger influence then Metallica? That right there renders your musical opinions moot. As for the OP,none of the bands you mentioned should be in the same sentence as the beatles.The Who just suck..and the rest are way over rated. Especially Sabbath and Zeppelin.That's my opinion though

Hooray for subjective opinions and the people who treat them as facts!

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 02:42 AM
link   

GogoVicMorrow
reply to post by nightstalker78

The Doors definately have more influence than Metallica. And I'm not really a fan of either. Metallica had a short period of greatness, but I wouldn't list them as one of the greatest American bands. See my above list for a short list of the greats though its still missing quite a bit.

No,they do not. The Doors were terrible. You say Metallica had a short period of greatness? No. The Doors,much like Nirvana, continue to be popular simply because their singers died. Metallica's career spans 3 decades. No,not everything they've done is good..but I can guarentee you that kid picking up a guitar isn't citing the doors as an influence. Give the credit where it's due. And it doesn't belong to those lame 70s bands.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 03:04 AM
link   
This is a great song:

Timbaland - Apologize ft. OneRepublic
www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSM3w1v-A_Y
www.youtube.com...

"Apologize" One Republic Music Video
www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm0T7_SGee4
www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Erm.....Queen anybody?

Also it just occurred to me....here comes your 'conspiracy' theory.....all these bands whether Brit or US all had statements to make, they changed peoples view of the world, in a sane way.
Could it be with all these 'talent' shows not allowing bands, that it's some sort of control of the masses?

Just thinking out loud
Rainbows
Jane

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 03:28 AM
link   
Bad Company
Free
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Jimi Hendrix
The Doors
Funkadelic
Guns n Roses
Queens of The Stone Age
Rage Against The Machine

I'd say America isn't too shabby

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 03:31 AM
link   
reply to post by AbleEndangered

Awful manufactured cheese.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 03:45 AM
link   
The greatest British band was/is Queen.

They literally 'rocked' Wembley during Live Aid:

They even won a poll on the BBC for the best ever British Band beating The Beatles:

BBC link

Long live the..

Also I have to mention that The Beatles album covers are very...erm.....weird! Satanically weird! But that's another story..

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by skyblueworld

If I could find the Freddy Mercury interview/documentary I would post it.....really interesting stuff he had to say about the world as he saw it.

Rainbows
Jane

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join