Rare Phenomenon of Triple Sun over China

page: 1

join

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 09:20 PM
link   
Rare phenomenon occurs over town in northern China where ice crystals reflect sun light creating an effect that the sun had two side kicks, a triple sun. I don't know how to embed the video, so you have to click the link to check it out. Really cool, though. Lots of these ice crystal effects in the skies these days.

A rare celestial illusion of "triple suns" occurred in the sky over Chifeng, in northern China's Inner Mongolia Autonomous Region on Friday morning. The sun, accompanied by two smaller twins, suddenly popped up in the sky, and the triple suns appeared surrounded by arched rainbow-like halos. The illusion is actually deemed a legitimate astronomical phenomenon, also known as a "phantom sun" or "ice halo." It only appears when ice crystals create high clouds in the air around 6,000 meters above ground, and produce reflected sunlight.

Triple Sun China Phenomeon from Russia Today

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 09:21 PM
link   
AKA the sun dog, i actually seen one of these a couple of years ago there not as rare as you might think.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

What makes these in the atmosphere? Particulates in the form of moisture, ice and or pollutants. You can see the miasma in the sky that causes the refractive effects that produce the "Sun Dog".

This is China? Really pretty. Wonder how much of this is smog? Coal smoke, auto exhaust, jet exhaust.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Happens here in Canada all the time when it's cold out. Very nice, but not rare here.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

Not rare, hey? Lucky for you...what part of Canada? Northern WI here and I'd say they're pretty rare in these parts.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

I'm up here on the North Slope,( top of Alaska) sun dogs and distant buildings as a mirage are somewhat common
It's a pretty cool effect

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I've never seen this before, but I do see halos around the moon on cold nights a lot in FL.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Kevinquisitor
I've never seen this before, but I do see halos around the moon on cold nights a lot in FL.

That's what I've seen as well. Halos. I photo'd a pretty cool moon halo earlier this year and posted a thread with the pics. I've also seen a really big sun halo this summer and that was the first time I'd seen one of those, but I'd never seen a mirrored reflection of the sun itself as in this phenomenon that occurred in China. Very cool indeed!
edit on 4-11-2013 by Rezlooper because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join