It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does Going to Church make you a better person?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I don't...but I would show her this if she asked... not a problem at all

I've been honest here and with her...

She can tell her churchy friends or anyone else whatever she wants to... Doesn't matter in the least

I believe you are being honest.

I'm just not sure she is, or that she is equipped to deal with this at the same level you are.

It doesn't matter to YOU if she tells her churchy friends. But would it matter to HER that you're telling your ATS friends? Would you be willing to say, "Here, babe, read this...this is what these strangers think, and how I've been battling with what to do about my feelings for you...and the 'religion conundrum' between us." ????

Imagine it for a second or hour or two....
how do you honestly think she would react/respond?? You've already rephrased the "crazy" part, so that should be already smoothed over.....she's been advised of it.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   

wildtimes
reply to post by Akragon

She can tell her churchy friends or anyone else whatever she wants to... Doesn't matter in the least

I'm just not sure she is, or that she is equipped to deal with this at the same level you are.

It doesn't matter to YOU if she tells her churchy friends. But would it matter to HER that you're telling your ATS friends? Would you be willing to say, "Here, babe, read this...this is what these strangers think, and how I've been battling with what to do about my feelings for you...and the 'religion conundrum' between us." ????

how do you honestly think she would react/respond?? You've already rephrased the "crazy" part, so that should be already smoothed over.....she's been advised of it.

I would simply say... don't even tell me you don' talk to your friend and family about me

because I know you do... what is the difference?

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Okay, friend. Let's look at the opposite perceptive.

I chose the one with lyrics. Just thought you might enjoy a lullaby that tells you how it "Might" work out......
Please, even if you think "Alanis Morrisette" is terrible, just read the lyrics while 'muted'.

Just, please....take it into consideration. This is what she wants (and apparently so do you)....it's a sticky position.

Good luck, and ..... good night.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   

wildtimes
reply to post by Akragon

She talked to her mother and was told that many of her friends have husbands that are 12+ years older and met younger then her

Yep, and my husband is 11+ years YOUNGER than I am...
and it works. But he was 36 when we got married. And I am his FIRST bride.

Well I'm glad it worked out for both of you, but 36 is still more mature than 20.

After 35, who cares?

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

As long as music seems to fit...here's one about love..

To love somebody the way I love you.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   

wildtimes
reply to post by Akragon

Exactly what I was thinking. And I doubt she's telling her church friends about him.

He seems to be bragging a little bit and that isn't very respectful to her.

No, she isn't at the same level of maturity. But then again a man who goes around saying "I dig young chicks". That's not very mature either, but she isn't equipped. We saw this a mile off.

Akra, take it from us, we were "young chicks" at one time also.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
reply to post by WarminIndy

And I doubt she's telling her church friends about him.

I don't.

I'm pretty confident that she IS telling her church friends about him.

In any case; it's up to him what he's going to do.

I hope they both get through it intact, sane, and healthy.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by wildtimes

Time will tell, as time tells everything eventually....

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   

wildtimes
reply to post by WarminIndy

And I doubt she's telling her church friends about him.

I don't.

I'm pretty confident that she IS telling her church friends about him.

In any case; it's up to him what he's going to do.

I hope they both get through it intact, sane, and healthy.

What I plan to do is take things one day at a time and see what happens...

As it stands she is my girlfriend, and religious differences aside she is wonderful...

I'll keep everyone updated... but perhaps we should get back on topic here

edit on 4-11-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

No, going to church does not "make you a better person." It makes you a person who goes to church. That's it.

What makes people "better people" is striving to know themselves, develop compassion and empathy, and stretching out of their comfort zones. "Experience" makes people better people, provided they are LEARNING while they go along - what works, and what doesn't.

But, Going to church does make some feel "safer" or "less confused."

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Right now it seems cute and attractive. In time it will become annoying and grating. When it comes to faith and religion unless you have people of a similar mindset of respect and mutual understanding you are doomed to failure. From your posts it looks like this is just a big game to you. It isn't you are putting yourself in a position to not only challenge her beliefs but to shatter them, and her world along with them.

And I do have to agree with FF on this and that almost never happens. She is out to change you, plain and simple. But really you don't love her that much is clear from how you are handling this. The only thing you are going to do is hurt and humiliate her in front of the people that matter to her. And you are planning on doing it with zeal.

As to your question, no church doesn't make you a better person. It has been my experience that church tends to have the opposite effect.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I wonder if you realise that ever since the Alpha Courses there has been a quiet drive to bring more people into churches and someone enlisting a non-believer is not something strange. If it works for you great.

I use to go to church but found that I was increasinging getting pis--d-off with people like my accountant and the local estate agent being whapped by the Holy Spirit and falling prostrate on the ground, or worse, standing by the alter, arms waving in the air like tree branches and walking goggligook to me as I had to pass by them.

What really made me sever all links and look elsewhere was the lack of any real generosity of spirit and a set of judgemental ideals that were snobbish and utterly ridiculous. One vicar shut the hall to a woman who hired it for aromatherapy because he considered it a gift from the devil/ When I saw one of our exalted ladies coming out of an aromatherapy shop glowing and a bag full of things to try on her husband and then talk about the power of the devil in new age stuff, I nearly fell off my chair.

One other thing that also use to infuriate me was the idea that God would do everything for me so I will not be proactive, if you can live with that also, good luck.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   

KeliOnyx
reply to post by Akragon

Right now it seems cute and attractive. In time it will become annoying and grating. When it comes to faith and religion unless you have people of a similar mindset of respect and mutual understanding you are doomed to failure. From your posts it looks like this is just a big game to you. It isn't you are putting yourself in a position to not only challenge her beliefs but to shatter them, and her world along with them.

And I do have to agree with FF on this and that almost never happens. She is out to change you, plain and simple. But really you don't love her that much is clear from how you are handling this. The only thing you are going to do is hurt and humiliate her in front of the people that matter to her. And you are planning on doing it with zeal.

As to your question, no church doesn't make you a better person. It has been my experience that church tends to have the opposite effect.

I would suggest you don't take everything I say here seriously...

I do tend to joke around quite a bit here... somehow I doubt you've read many of my threads

Worry not... I know how to handle things

Thanks for your reply

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Akragon,

Your girlfriend's love of God is touching you, MO.

Receiving God's grace, His presence helps you to be good. There are 'graces' given in attending Holy Mass
and the pinnacle, you receive God Himself in the most Holy Eucharist.

These are the end times, a lot of Catholics skip Sunday Mass, to their loss. It is a mortal sin to miss Sunday
Mass. Oh, the bad or no catechesis in the last fifty years.

Pray for conversions, the Remnant is Roman Catholic.

+ + +

Why - is - Missing - (Sunday) Mass - a - Serious - Sin

One of the forgotten teachings of the Catholic Church is that we are required to attend Mass every Sunday and that to fail to do so is to commit a grave sin. This is taught very clearly in the Catechism of the Catholic Church (# 2181) as we shall quote later. But why does the Church teach us this? Is this just ploy to get us to come to Church and to drop something in the collection plate? Well that may be of help to the Church but it is not the reason the obligation to attend Mass is taught. The reasons for this mandate are contained clearly in Sacred Scripture.

We begin in an obvious place, the Ten Commandments. Exodus 20:8 says it clearly enough: Remember the Sabbath Day to Keep it Holy. Every now and then some one will say to me, “God doesn’t care if I go to Church.” I usually respond, “Well that’s strange, I wonder why God put it in the Ten Commandments?” It seems that God does care. Please understand, God does not merely ask or wish our presence, He commands it. Now the Church’s teaching that it is mortal sin to miss Mass comes a little more into focus.

But, some claim that although Scripture mandates a day of rest, there is no requirement to attend Church. But this is really not the case. The Book of Leviticus spells out the requirement to keep holy the Sabbath in the following language: Six days shall work be done; but the seventh day is a Sabbath of solemn rest and sacred assembly; you shall do no work; it is a Sabbath to the LORD. (Lev 23:3). Thus, notice how this text spells out that the Sabbath is not only for rest but for “sacred assembly.” This phrase, “sacred assembly” is what is meant by the word “Church.” The word “Church” means “assembly.”

Further, it is clear enough that Jesus understood the 3rd Commandment to include sacred assembly for in his own observance of Sabbath He attended the “synagogue” (another word for “assembly” or “gathering”). Scripture says Jesus attended the synagogue on the Sabbath habitually (cf Lk 4:16).

Yet another scriptural teaching on our requirement to attend Mass is contained in the admonition from Hebrews that we are must not neglect to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encourage one another (Heb 10:25).

For some to say that they don’t need to assemble, to meet together with fellow Christians in Church on Sunday, (our Sabbath) is surely unbiblical. The Old Testament commanded it, Jesus attended, who are we to fail in this regard? We must not neglect to meet together. We must not neglect to receive Holy Communion and be instructed in the Word of God.

Another Biblical reason that Sunday Church worship is required of the Christian is in Jesus mandate that we receive Holy Communion. Jesus warns us not to miss receiving the Holy Communion with these words: Unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood you have no life in you. (John 6:53) Without the Holy Eucharist which is the Body and Blood of Jesus, we are starving ourselves spiritually. If you and I were to stop eating our worldly food we would soon grow weak and eventually die. It would be a form of suicide. It is no less true of our spiritual food. If we stop receiving the Body and Blood of Jesus in Holy Communion, we grow weak and eventually die, spiritually, we “have no life in us!” To skip Sunday Mass sets up a deadly pattern of spiritual starvation, it is a deadly thing, a mortal sin! ....

blog.adw.org...

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   
reply to post by colbe

no these are not "end times"... and she is protestant.... so she'd never convert to Roman catholic

thanks for your reply though colbe

edit on 6-11-2013 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 04:19 PM
link   
reply to post by colbe

Going to church doesnt make one holy. After they do their job at Sunday mass many priests go pick up a six pack and watch the game.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 05:02 PM
link   

KeliOnyx
reply to post by colbe

Going to church doesnt make one holy. After they do their job at Sunday mass many priests go pick up a six pack and watch the game.

Keli, hi,

We all have a fallen nature, we're all sinners but there is something that makes us holy, God's help.

There is "grace" given in praying by yourself and in gathering together to worship God as He commands on Sunday, the Lord's Day. The Sabbath of the Old was changed to Sunday to honor Our Lord's Resurrection.

To counter the denial of the "sabbath change", there are verses in Mark, Mary M. and the Apostles went to the tomb on the "first day of the week." Christians recognize Our Lord's Resurrection as Easter SUNDAY. The first Christians assembled to worship, to "break bread" (the Eucharist) God on the "first day of the week" ~the same term!

We can know, it has been passed down.

Mark 16:2
And very early in the morning, the first day of the week, they come to the sepulchre, the sun being now risen.

Mark 16:9
But he rising early the first day of the week, appeared first to Mary Magdalen, out of whom he had cast seven devils.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Akragon
reply to post by colbe

no these are not "end times"... and she is protestant.... so she'd never convert to Roman catholic

Hello Aragon,

Read the paper, we sure are I pray near the end of an evil time. I realize your dear friend is a Protestant but at the "awakening", she will convert. MO, free will is a factor still at this gift from God.

When it happens..."oh my gosh, the most loving Lord, My God and Savior wants me to become Catholic."

She will melt, be joy filled.

The Remnant is of one belief. Roman Catholic.

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by colbe

No No No.
Sorry colbe you want people to follow a religion where they have golden crosses and take from the poor?
Did you read about that bishop who spent 42 million doing up his digs? corrupt and wrong, I just hope the new pope sells all the CC belongings to make an actual difference.
The CC is just the roman empire re-branded.
You keep on trying to scare folk with end of times BS...how long have you lot been doing that? 1600 years or so?
I and many will not fall for fear and trust humanity, we will reach the stars someday.
Humanity ftw!!
edit on 7-11-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   

colbe

Akragon
reply to post by colbe

Hello Aragon,

Read the paper, we sure are I pray near the end of an evil time. I realize your dear friend is a Protestant but at the "awakening", she will convert. MO, free will is a factor still at this gift from God.

When it happens..."oh my gosh, the most loving Lord, My God and Savior wants me to become Catholic."

She will melt, be joy filled.

The Remnant is of one belief. Roman Catholic.

Sorry colbe... IF she was to convert to anything It would be to my side... not yours

She hates the roman catholic church...

And unless Jesus himself comes down and tells me I need to be roman Catholic... you guys have no chance in converting me....

Soooooo...

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join