It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

77 year old man arrested for 11 DUI

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

So let me see if I get this right.. 77 years old so driving can already be a challenge, drunk and the 11 arrest for DUI.

This man needs to be locked up for the rest of his life ..Sorry, I know the "alcoholism is a disease crowd" will rush to his defense. I get it, I really do... Drunks and drug users are never accountable or responsible for their actions, it is always the result of the disease so they should get a free pass. Okay fine, 1 free pass, maybe 2...but 11?

Don't give me any BS about taking his license away because that was already done as these were what he was charged with:

"Bell was subsequently taken into custody and charged with DUI, Driving After Judgment Prohibited, Driving While Suspended or Revoked, Failure to Remain in a Single Lane, and Speeding."

Lock him up and let him finish his life in prison which is the only way you are going to prevent a selfish coward like this from killing someone because if he has been caught 11 times their are probably double that where has hasn't been caught.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 03:34 PM
link   

opethPA
This just tells me that they need to start serving booze
in nursing homes!

In other cultures, booze and drugs are considered to be
appropriate to give to elders, to help them pass on their
way -- if they want it of course; not the obscene forced
sedation we do in the West.

KPB

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

That's just impressive really. 11 wow.

But you're right, there is no excuse for why this person still has access to a vehicle.
I'm a substance abuse control officer, pretty much I help identify people who have substance abuse issues. Be it drugs, alcohol, or anything else. I make sure they are given the opportunity to receive the treatment they need.

I am also a drunk.
But I don't have any DUIs, and if I'm drinking I don't drive.
It's not hard to have a plan to prevent drinking and driving.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by watchitburn

WOW!!!!

I not only respect you for what you attempt to do in trying to help others, but I damn sure respect you for coming out and saying everything you just did about yourself!!!

Thumbs up to you!

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I wouldn't argue that he's not responsible but why has noone taken this man's vehicle or keys away from him ???
If not the law doing it then family members or aquaintances should have done so before now.

And wait - 11 DUI's ?
Why exactly hasn't he been doing any time ?

edit on 3/11/13 by skonaz because: syntax

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   
Can't they just like.... sentence him to live in an old folks home for the rest of his life? It would probably be cheaper than throwing him in prison, and the only other way to avoid letting him back out into public, because you know he WILL get drunk and drive again.

I give the elderly a lot of leeway, but at some point they are just being ridiculous and need to be dealt with.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   

watchitburn
I am also a drunk.
But I don't have any DUIs, and if I'm drinking I don't drive.
It's not hard to have a plan to prevent drinking and driving.

The problem is their are not enough people like you and their are people that refuse to hold drunks\drug users accountable for driving impaired.

The last time their was a thread like this it was for a lady that was arrested 7 times for a DUI and in that thread people were defending her as she "just needs treatment" . At a certain point their are consequences to being a selfish, reckless, coward. For me after 3 DUIs I think you should serve extensive jail time but when you hit 11 you need to be locked up and not have another chance to kill someone.

Again, thank you for your approach ..

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 05:08 PM
link   
There is never an excuse to drive drunk, ever. Do not drink if there is the slightest chance you will have to drive period.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

Thanks, but I don't think it's a big deal. This is an anonymous forum, there are a few members who know who I am but I'm not worried about it.

Edit:

To OpethPA: you're right there is a great lack of personal responsibility to be found these days. Unfortunately what it seems to take is an elected officials family to be involved in an alcohol related accident for these situations to be dealt with seriously.
edit on 3-11-2013 by watchitburn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 05:36 PM
link   
If memory serves ... DUI wasn't around very long before the guy got his first one. Not sure about PA, but I think Texas didn't start until '82/'83. He probably has no respect for a law he was doing fine without. Apparently the court doesn't think very much of what he's done.

Ole Rupert has probably had a few before getting behind the wheel since before you were born. He ain't dead yet ... ain't killed nobody either. What's the big deal?

Wow ... Did I just play Devil's Advocate?
Somebody had to. Flame on everyone!!!

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Why would you be worried? Because its hypocritical that you "help" people with the same disease you can't help yourself with. I bet youre very helpful...

Back to topic: 11 dui's? I thought there was a law preventing someone from getting that many? Or is that just depend on the state?

Sickening this Guy gets away with it. I'm all for second and even fourth chances... but eleven? No way.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by TheMistro81

Hypocritical?.... Maybe.

I had a problem with drinking about 10 yrs ago. I couldn't get to sleep without drinking a case of beer or a bottle of whiskey. I was functional, always at work on time and performed above average. But blowing a .14 at 7am after being atwork for 2 hrs kind of gets the point across that there is a problem.

While I am awesome, I have never claimed to be perfect. But, I did identify my problem when it was pointed out to me and I addressed it before it got out of hand and resulted in an unfortunate incident. It's not my job to, nor do I judge people. I just help identify those that might need a little assistance.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Good to see you being honest about it. That's commendable.

If you cant get your own problem under control, you're not going to fully help people however... I have plenty of experience in this field as well, and I know this to be true.

Cheers :-)

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
I have tried to be less judgmental of selfish idiots that choose to drink and drive but when you are upwards of 5 DUIs you really need to be locked up and when you are over 10 you need to be locked up without any possibility of getting out.

Just my opinion of course and no offense to any selfish person that drives impaired here.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 06:23 PM
link   
that's 11 times over 26 years, should have already learned his lesson by now, maybe jail time
is something to be considered though is only meant as a last resort for offenders.

take the cars from them, install breatherlizer units, mandatory counseling, heavier fines, longer
suspension times, let the system give him the "help" he needs, not just throw the book when these
other less severe measures suposedly in place are just as much a deterrent as doing the time.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   

opethPA
I have tried to be less judgmental of selfish idiots that choose to drink and drive but when you are upwards of 5 DUIs you really need to be locked up and when you are over 10 you need to be locked up without any possibility of getting out.

Just my opinion of course and no offense to any selfish person that drives impaired here.

My horns and tail are still showing.
. Watch out for the pitchfork ... I'm pretty good with it.

But ... DUI was right where the Police State established itself. Might have been a better idea, in hindsight, to set the drinking age at 25 or 30, instead of setting an ever lowering bar on the DUI threshold. DUI is a real moneymaker for the state IMVHO. The problem is establishing the difference between impaired and under the influence. Think about those revelations WatchItBurn made in this thread.

1. He never got a DUI
2. He came to work and blew a .14
3. I'd have to assume he was a DUI on the way to work, but he wasn't impaired.

Personal to WIB: How do you get to sleep if you're not downing a bottle of hooch before bed? When I quit drinking, I ran into the same problem and haven't yet found a workable solution. I really miss sleep.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Snarl
1. He never got a DUI

or..
someone that is impaired can not drive.
You can try and justify it all you want as the difference between impaired, drunk, had a few..whatever..
If you are selfish enough to drive while impaired to any level then you better hope that you don't kill someone.

1 time..someone made a mistake
2 times..maybe they have a problem.
11 times..lock them up and give them all the treatment they want but behind bars because that person doesn't deserve to be free.

Since I don't remember you on the other thread where people tried to defend the lady that was arrested for 7 DUIs I will state that I lost someone very close to a drunk driver.. I obviously have no sympathy or concern for anyone that drivers impaired and that makes no difference if it's a drunk, drug user or someone that takes a legit medicine that makes them drowsy and thinks driving is a good idea.
edit on 2013pAmerica/Chicago3006ppm by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   

opethPA

Snarl
1. He never got a DUI

or..
someone that is impaired can not drive.
You can try and justify it all you want as the difference between impaired, drunk, had a few..whatever..
If you are selfish enough to drive while impaired to any level then you better hope that you don't kill someone.

1 time..someone made a mistake
2 times..maybe they have a problem.
11 times..lock them up and give them all the treatment they want but behind bars because that person doesn't deserve to be free.

Since I don't remember you on the other thread where people tried to defend the lady that was arrested for 7 DUIs I will state that I lost someone very close to a drunk driver.. I obviously have no sympathy or concern for anyone that drivers impaired and that makes no difference if it's a drunk, drug user or someone that takes a legit medicine that makes them drowsy and thinks driving is a good idea.
edit on 2013pAmerica/Chicago3006ppm by opethPA because: (no reason given)

Every morning I see the same woman putting on her makeup while she's driving down the road. She drives worse than any drunk I can recall. Should we jail her too? Remember, I'm talking every day for YEARS!!

What about people driving while texting? Have they gotta go to jail too?

Where does it end?

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Snarl

Every morning I see the same woman putting on her makeup while she's driving down the road. She drives worse than any drunk I can recall. Should we jail her too? Remember, I'm talking every day for YEARS!!

What about people driving while texting? Have they gotta go to jail too?

Where does it end?

Yup, that person is just as much an idiot and just as selfish and if some fool got arrested 11 times for driving while putting on makeup they should never be locked up also.

Then again by your own admission you have had a drinking problem so I am sure you will defend, deflect or justify this as long as you can.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by opethPA

Very well said. There is no justification for it. Its selfish and its dangerous.

As someone who has had a problem, I have never drove while intoxicated, or even close. There are ways to avoid it. mazing how many people will use "its a disease" as an excuse. I don't take that lightly, there is no excuse.

Time to lock the old man up.
edit on 3-11-2013 by TheMistro81 because: clarification

top topics

<<   2 >>

join