It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Banned question again.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

When it comes to banned members... It is simply more drama than it's worth. We've learned from experience that mentioning and explaining the banning of a member result in more staff time being invested. Some members will defend the banned member and then mods have to deal with additional discussions, communication, etc. etc. It snowballs and it's a headache.

Thanks for that, thats what I thought. A court trial by a jury of members would be a painful addition to the already difficult task of moderating. Like that doesn't take up enough of your time.

Still, I get the sudden intimidation factor of somebody disappearing, especially for newer members. Without explanation, it can appear to some that there is no difference between that and the late night arrest of some neighbor (for no apparent reason). The next day everyone is like what happened to so and so? They took him away, don't ask questions you don't want to wind up like them.

On a conspiracy website, this can have fascist like undertones, even though I know and others know this is not the case.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

Dont upset the bigger boys

They can do as they wish.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

So what banneds do you like OP?

Imagine Dragons sound pretty good.

See we can talk about banneds.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 02:44 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

Every once in awhile I'll take a look at a banned members last posts to see if they tell the tale. They usually do. Hopefully most every longtime member who is banned gets a warning ahead of time, or a first ban of a day or a week, and not outright thrown out unless they go hog wild.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   

marvinthemartian
reply to post by intrptr

Dont upset the bigger boys

They can do as they wish.

How is that upsetting? I was agreeing with them. And lending a voice to the newcomer. I was one once and I wondered a lot about that.

Edit: Superman's link to the other thread answered some questions for me I still had after all this time.
edit on 3-11-2013 by intrptr because: additional

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 03:20 PM
link   
If they banned older members that and deleted posts of thiers there wouldn't be much to ats to look at..

signup date prior to 07 or so a lot of members gave a lot of thought into their posts.. so deleting members posts after banning, ats wouldn't be what it is today if they did that...

Also side note.. notice how no old members posted in here to discuss this.. I wonder why that is..
edit on 11/3/2013 by ThichHeaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 03:21 PM
link   

'They' don't give us a hint why the people were banned because it's none of our business.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

FWIW I've seen that discussing a banned member's contributions - i.e. their posts/thoughts/threads is perfectly acceptable as long as it's in line with the topic/thread it is being discussed in.

And I think that's a great thing as there have been some *outstanding* contributions to this site made by members who are no longer here due to banning.

It doesn't seem to happen that often & as long as the posts are not about the ex-member themselves or the reason why they are no longer among the ATS-living my sense is that there are no issues.

AFAIC content is king. I could care less about drama...

On a final note - I read the thread referenced by the OP where he said his questions were answered and I noticed that there was at least one Mod posting there who seems to also have been tossed.

Just goes to show that the staff eats it's own dog food, I guess.

Cheers!

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

There not gone bro, the mods keep them in a special gulag camp on the icy tundra for defying the T&C and make them brake rocks. you dont want to break rocks in the ATS gulag do you?........lol

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

reply to post by intrepid

Step aside guys...i got this....

....we don't discuss banned members because it might cause them to register again. Kind of like Bloody Mary, or Candyman. You notice how often Bernard has registered. We LOVE talking about Bernard....

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Aleister

Every once in awhile I'll take a look at a banned members last posts to see if they tell the tale. They usually do. Hopefully most every longtime member who is banned gets a warning ahead of time, or a first ban of a day or a week, and not outright thrown out unless they go hog wild.

In all seriousness....a member is often post banned. The hurdle to having that lifted: admit that you understand the rule, and commit to improving on your observance of said rules. Many folks can't let go of their ego and take the Sayonara Trail, instead.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 05:41 PM
link   

bigfatfurrytexan

Aleister

In all seriousness....a member is often post banned. The hurdle to having that lifted: admit that you understand the rule, and commit to improving on your observance of said rules. Many folks can't let go of their ego and take the Sayonara Trail, instead.

Very true.

But some of them - and more importantly the content they contributed - are still sorely missed...

It's too bad we can't get some of the channelers here to work on that...

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   
As per the main points of the thread ATS reminds me of the manner in which the present administration in the WH deals with others - in ALL respects, none of which are commendable in any way - i.e., all negative. Their behavior against others is downright shameful, and they aren't about to do anything about it - no matter what the membership says - because its the nature of their dictatorial mindset; intractable, arrogant, haughty and self serving, mainly driven by a selfish desire to generate revenue with no accounting for the feelings of others. Am I concerned that they'll ban me for these remarks ? Hell No!

edit on 3-11-2013 by XionZap because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   

ThichHeaded
If they banned older members that and deleted posts of thiers there wouldn't be much to ats to look at..

signup date prior to 07 or so a lot of members gave a lot of thought into their posts.. so deleting members posts after banning, ats wouldn't be what it is today if they did that...

Also side note.. notice how no old members posted in here to discuss this.. I wonder why that is..
edit on 11/3/2013 by ThichHeaded because: (no reason given)

I would imagine most of the posts of those members would have meaningful thoughts, along thread topic lines, that people would like to read. It would be a shame for it all to disappear. Also once posted, doesn't the t&c say posts are in the control of the board. It would, I would think, want to keep certain on topic posts in the conversation.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 07:31 PM
link   

TKDRL

It's just from experience moderating on other forums, it's possible that I am completely wrong in this case lol. It had something to do with post number, and how the engine used those numbers to divide up the pages. The thread would freak out when numbers went missing.

I have been a mod for 5 years on another site and we have only had to ban a few people over the years but when we do it says 'BANNED' where it previously said 'MEMBER'' and all their previous posts stay, we will go in and delete the posts that got them banned (if it was offensive to another member).
So unless ATS is using an unusual program, I would say it''s their policy to just quietly ban them and not announce it.
Right or wrong, it's their site and they can dictate what policies are used.
I do wonder why when someone recently made a thread saying what a great member someone was, the thread was locked and the mod said it was ''against the rules to discuss other members even if in a positive light'' again it's not up to me but I don't see where discussing some non-banned member in a positive light could cause harm.
Well, if I become 'disappeared' for discussing this, it was nice knowing you all! LOL

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   

FlyersFan

'They' don't give us a hint why the people were banned because it's none of our business.

Neither is why a post was removed but that gets the public treatment.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
Temporarily closed for Staff/Admin review.

Thread closed.
ATS does not allow discussions of banned members.
edit on Mon Nov 4 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join