It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

340 MPs are using taxpayers' money to claim energy bills on expenses

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Britguy

The subject of Directorships for MP's is something I do think we need scrutiny on. What I don't like about the Directorships is that being an MP is a full-time job. In fact its a very important full-time job because of the responsibility, power and influence these people hold; so theoretically I don't see how it is that they actually have time to hold Directorships - and getting fees for nothing seems ludicrous - so there is obviously a gain somewhere. I also wonder if Directorships would be offered to many of these MP's were they not MP's?

I also dislike very much when watching BBC Parliament, someone declares an interest from these Directorships and then blythely steps over this interest and goes onto take part either on the quango or committee they sit on. I would be happier if an interest exists, those MP's involved don't take part, expect maybe to produce a report etc but nothing more influential.

MP's don't only go into politics for the altruistic purpose of improving the people's lives they represent. Those that do seem to me to get over their altruistic sentiments pretty quickly. We have to have government but my God are we in need of considerable change. Government by smarty-pants just out of university frightens me to death and I don't think anyone should be allowed to be an M P until they have worked outside of Government for at least 10 years. There is no substitute for experience, which is something the Chinese have absolutely right. Currently we are governed by the Queen's cousin and his wealthy cronies, we need a government that is much more representative of the people.

Also we need a better approach to the committees and quangoes in order to see that information is given by representatives of the public whose lives these groups are discussing, especially as many of them have never had to worry about paying a bill and living in the world most of us live in. There is too wide a gap between the people who govern and those they govern and this wastes so much money and causes so much misery.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Just look at a few things Cameron and co have done already. Sold Royal Mail on the cheap for £3.3bn when valued up to £10bn, no doubt their buddies got their grubby mitts on some of that.

They gave the EDF the go ahead on a new nuclear plant and an agreement to charge £92.50 for every megawatt hour of energy in ten years time. Which is more than double of what it costs now, so if you expect prices to fall think again.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Then you have this little gem "George Osborne is to take legal action against Brussels over the European Union's proposed move to cap the bonuses of thousands of British-based bankers."

news.sky.com...

edit on 4-11-2013 by Horus12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Horus12

Our Little Gem is as corrupt as is possible to be. I either read or heard that the reason why our Government would not let any bank go is that if the banks went down, the wealthy would all loose their money. Now what fascinated me is that we only have 5 big banks so there is nothing our 'lacklustre Gems' are going to do to risk their wealth, as you pointed out. But in Germany, there are over 200 different banks, so the Germans can never be held to ransom by their government as the British tax payer can be. There if a bank fails, it fails but without the repercussions.

I do think its time to break up these huge monopolies and corps that hold the public in their grubby, sharp-clawed paws. That way we could control the banks a little more.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Shiloh7
I do think that when Cameron and that ghastly smug Chancellor Osborne smirk at the cameras whilst announcing cuts here, there and everywhere, to find out that they have left themselves and all politicians in a position of claiming heating bills, is unbelievable. I do hope that the Media will pick up on this as well as the tv and really take them to task. Its a pity the General Election is not coming up soon.

Just a quick point - it's not just the Tory MP's doing this, it is cross party, so having a general election would solve nothing.. Just like the one in 2010 after the 2009 expenses scandal.

Shiloh7
Just slightly aside to this, although linked, was a very interesting little fact that Caroline Flint let out on the tv the other day. As I understand it, apparently the Energy Companies that supply the UK have set up intermediary companies between themselves and the supplying companies which means that they get double dips at charging the consumer so pushing prices up. With the new middle company in existence we, the customers, bear the cost of the extra transaction, the profit of which goes into the pocket of the energy company one gets one's supply from. This piece of information was not picked up by the Interviewer but I wondered if anyone else had heard of this greedy little trick, because Caroline Flint obviously thought it was a sham.

It is common practice, not just in the Energy sector, but across many businesses - Tesco's do it with their supply chain to avoid taxes in certain jurisdictions, as does Amazon and any other major Corp. There is nothing inherently illegal about it or indeed anything wrong in a fair market, but in the energy sector where it is effectively a cartel it leads to abuses.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by doobydoll

You're kind of contradicting yourself in your post, while the thrust of the argument does have merit.

If you paid MP's the average salary in the UK (around £27k) they'd not be able to afford to be an MP if they had to commute to London and not claim expenses. For example, a year long season ticket from Manchester Piccadily to London Paddington, for example, costs £13k!

You have to be realistic in the salary they should receive and also have the ability to pay legitimate expenses. What you suggest would be unworkable to the extreme.

Also, you can't get to London in 2 hours (maybe Birmingham...just) from the Midlands or the North, much less Scotland and they'd need either a higher salary just to pay the travel costs or the ability to claim expenses.

I do not have an issue with expenses, per se, as I claim them when I am away for work, but there are strict rules, ie: 3 star only, only evening meal paid and standard class on the train. I certainly wouldn't be able to claim for a new duck pond though!

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Shiloh7
We have to have government but my God are we in need of considerable change. Government by smarty-pants just out of university frightens me to death and I don't think anyone should be allowed to be an M P until they have worked outside of Government for at least 10 years.

Good point - this is the reason why in some countries and in Ancient Rome for example, there was a minimum age to even enter politics.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by GreyGoo

...the hypocrisy is staggering.

It always is.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Come back Guido Fawkes, all is forgiven.

I see no reason why politicians' treason ever should be forgot.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Morg234

Hmmmm..Guy Fawkes was hardly a saint himself... The stated aim of his group was to kill the King and Parliament, then have them replaced with people loyal to the Papacy, which would have had drastic consequences on the development of democratic Government not only in the UK, but Globally.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
The entire political establishment is rotten and corrupt.

It's a whole other world and culture for these politicians. They don't live in normal society quite frankly.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by VoidHawk

I think if there really were a housing shortage, construction would be big.
I think the issue is the cost of housing that's inflated by zone standards and state property taxes.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Horus12

No Westminister politician has any business claiming any fuel allowance from the state, from the people. This is utterly inappropriate.

I tell you what though, if the idiots in power are TRYING to make us butcher them all with our bare hands, then this is pretty much the way they should go about it. I mean, they have been asking for a proper kicking for a while now, but this is taking liberties on a whole new level. I find it particularly crass, since the current government seem hell bent on making the lives of those who either by disability, or by gross lack of jobs, find themselves in an unenviable position, more difficult than they have any reason to be, by making everything bar the air they breathe means tested, often by the most jackbooted nazi punks ever unleashed upon society.

You know that horrible, tight feeling you get in your shoulders when you feel the need to reach out and render someone incapable of wiping thier own backside? I am getting ALL of that right now.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   
All of this while the less fortunate freeze or even die after having their power turned off for non payment. This should be plastered on a billboard and they should feel ashamed.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 02:26 AM
link   
No doubt, as always, the defence will be that these MP's were acting entirely within the rules, and therefore us mere serfs have nothing to complain about.
Of course, when the rules are set by the same people gaming the system in the first place, ethical or fair are words that have no place in the debate.

I think the time is rapidly approaching when people will have had enough of this blatant backstabbing by the political elite, at the expense of the taxpayers. Once again, simply voting out one party and allowing the others in never changes anything, it just prolongs the status quo, where we ordinary people are there simply to provide the funds for their lavish lifestyles and bonuses for their banker friends, who we also bailed out with taxpayer money.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 03:25 AM
link   

teapot
reply to post by BlubberyConspiracy

I have been looking but have not as yet found anything that lists all the MP'S that claim domestic fuel costs. If I do find such a resource, I will check to see what list my MP is on and if he has made such claims, I think I shall write to him and demand that he desist.

Here ye go...My local MP ist on Zee list...

www.capitalbay.com...

Check this one out, He's not Happy with two homes in London, he's living the high life in Hotels.

www.mirror.co.uk...

edit on 5-11-2013 by Soloprotocol because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 03:43 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Make's me laugh ... nearly everyone I know only has the tv on for background noise!!! What the hell??? lol
Le's face it we have known for years that the tele is a complete waste of time, yet we still use the bloody thing's. I for one would gladly chuck my tv out of the window if it wasn't for my Daughter. But she has hers on when she is getting ready to go out ... for background noise!!! It is true we have certainly been brainwashed and same with the adverts. We complain about them and believe that we go off to make a cup of tea when they come on, yet we all know each and every advert and I'm not just talking about McDonalds and their calling whistle!! If every adult with a tv did a test on what adverts we know, I bet the results would be astonishing on what we think we don't absorb from that box of rubbish and having to pay to be brainwashed too?!?!

hx

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 03:51 AM
link   
reply to post by stumason

You are so right about corruption being across all the parties. I noticed that the Bildenberg group always have politicians attending from both parties and often a Royal as well, which somewhat rattles the honest and open cage. With a two party system, its easy to nobble and influence politics which, would hbe harder were we to have more parties in the country. However, its like our banking system, all concentrated into the hands of a few. Other countries are not quite so vulnerable to this concentration of power but the USA is in the same boat.

I watched the news to see if this scandal of expenses would be brought up but I didn't see any mention of of it at all, which for me says the media is purely an extension of a compromised government. I sense in the wind a very upper-class right-wing smugness pervading our politics aptly demonstrated on ITV last night during the Press Review. I do think energy is the one thing that might just unite the people of this country into making their feelings known and the demand for change to shake up this lot on both sides.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 05:55 AM
link   
reply to post by happinness

You would be doing her a favor really. Radio is not all that much better either, people always listening to it when they drive. I shot my TV's years ago, never regretted it. I watch a few TV shows when I got the time, but commercial free on my computer. When I drive, I am usually listening to an audiobook.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Soloprotocol

Makes my blood boil !!! It's not the fact that they are renting a second property

so much as, why aren't they using the rent from their first property to pay

for the rent of the property they are living in/renting??? We the taxpayer

are funding their shady money making business in 'property'

Also I noticed in your link that the first 18 claiment's were claiming a vastly

higher amount than what is claimed is the national average of around £1,500!?

Why can't they not do what the PM suggests that we the underclass do? 'Turn

down the thermostat and put on yet another woolie!!
... Lol

It would be funny if it wasn't so tragic!

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 10:26 AM
link   
Locusts, just locusts, when you ask them they say I'm not breaking Parliamentary rules which of course is true, the fact that these rules were made by the MP's so to fill their pockets is always avoided.

That MP staying in Hotels and claiming maximum food should be sacked on the spot.

And why are we paying for a mans Warwickshire Estate to be heated?

We are all sick to death to see useless lazy arses like Diane Abbot look down their noses at us while they pilfer from the public fund. These are simply foul lazy arrogant people used to getting whatever they want while people like Osbourne tries to protect his buddies in the banks and their out worldly OTT bonus system, the same banks that have to be propped up with public money because the so called experts who apparently warrant these bonuses fail to do their job.

I am totally fed up hearing that some jumped up suit with a put on accent is bemoaning having to actually do their job, it pains all of us to know that every single little item is placed on expenses, even down to their bit on the sides Xmas presents. We are disgusted that they are allowed to rent out their first home that is paid for by the public and then get a 2nd home also paid for by the public despite this rent which they pocket.

We hate hearing that yet again half of these greedy vultures have claimed the maximum every time and yet have to provide nothing to prove their need.

This government is right up there with the Pakistani government for corruption, its just handled in a more British way, the bribes and lies are the same, the money grabbing of these people is the same, the off shore tax havens are the same and of course the total lack of any care or knowledge of what the ordinary person is having to do to survive just destroys my heart.

These scum only know they have met an ordinary person when they step on them, take away the parliamentary rules and almost every thing they do would be classed as theft and fraud in the real world.

There was a joke in the UK a few weeks back when the weather was about to go mad, it went like this, An MP was asked what he would suggest to people facing the full effect of the storm, he replied, "Oh, just move to your second home for a while".

The trouble is that one of these scum bags probably has said it at some point.

The government, voted in by us but controlled by themselves.

I think I'll look in to genetically crossing an MP with a lemming and say goodbye to their jumped up arrogant faces..

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join