It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mosques urge the faithful to wear a poppy this Remembrance Day

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 01:27 PM
link   

British Muslims ‘should wear the poppy, rather than burn it,’ an Islamic organisation has said.

High-profile Muslim campaigners are calling for unity this Remembrance Day, and have urged members of the faith to respect the fallen.

Some mosques around the UK will also take the significant step of stepping up poppy stalls, the Sunday Times reports.

The move comes three years after a group of extremists set fire to a giant poppy in Kensington, London, on November 11, amid chants of ‘British soldiers burn in hell’.

Mosques urge the faithful to wear a poppy this Remembrance Day

I have mixed feelings on this. I truly believe that there are a few Muslims who genuinely want to wear a poppy but I just can't see the majority wearing one for whatever reason. Many Muslims have the mistaken impression that poppies commemorate fallen British and Western soldiers when that is not the case.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by EloquentThinker

I like many others have been to a degree militantised against islam but things like this make me second guess my innate bias, thank you for putting this up, there are many muslims lying in war graves whom fought for our country over the past 300 year's and we tend to forget them in the face of militant extremism which breeds militant extremism to oppose it, I for one am trying to break out of the vicious circle and see people as people again.

Here is a beautiful excerpt from the works of a 13th century persian philosopher,
Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Rūmī

I died as a mineral and became a plant,
I died as plant and rose to animal,
I died as animal and I was Man.
Why should I fear? When was I less by dying?
Yet once more I shall die as Man, to soar
With angels bless'd; but even from angelhood
I must pass on: all except God doth perish.
When I have sacrificed my angel-soul,
I shall become what no mind e'er conceived.
Oh, let me not exist! for Non-existence
Proclaims in organ tones,
To Him we shall return

Our bias is self harming, thank you once again for this thread.
edit on 3-11-2013 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Thousands of Muslim Servicemen fought and died on the side of Britain during WW I.
Muslim's would be honoring their own by wearing a poppy.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 03:06 PM
link   

LABTECH767

Here is a beautiful excerpt from the works of a 13th century persian philosopher,
Jalāl ad-Dīn Muhammad Rūmī

Our bias is self harming, thank you once again for this thread.
edit on 3-11-2013 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

But are the Sufi mystics that wrote this the majority of Sunni Islam today? It is like showing a christian saint as the only thing that exists in christianity and not telling that the Spanish Inquisition is right now burning witches.

Are not Sufi banned in Saudi Arabia? How many % are of the Salafi interpetration in the world and how many are Sufi?

“O Muslims, what do I have to say? I do not know myself whether I am a Christian, a Jew, a Zoroastrian or a Muslim. And I do not know myself if I am eastern or western, upper or lower. And I do not know myself if I am from earth or I am from on high. And I do not know myself if I am Indian, Chinese, Bulgarian, Iraqi or Khorasani. I do not know myself if I even have an appearance or not, whether I have existence or not, if have a location or not. I do not know myself if I am a body or a soul. But what I do know is that my soul is the soul of souls. When I put my name with my Lord’s, I saw the universe as one. I see One, I sing One, I know One and I read One.” 3 In his poetry, the great Sufi Ibn al-Fārid shows the commonality between all religions based on his experience with Christians, Jews, Brahmins and Muslims. He says, “I see in all of them the divisions of one fountain, and it is the attainment of the eye of sincerity to see them all as equal.”

/Jalaluddin Rumi

This is a wise one that is beyond religion. A blessed one even.
edit on 3-11-2013 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   
This is nothing more then a propaganda/publicity stunt by them.
What Islam does is pull the wool over the eyes of the infidel, YOUR eyes.
It does so via things like this. Hey, lets all wear a poppy flower this Rememberance Day, let's appear to fit in.

The truth is Islam and the cultures of those who follow it and migrate to our Western countries, are NOT COMPATIBLE with our way of life and our culture.

They have no place in our societies.

Yes, there are anomalies. People who actually do manage to fit in.
But their internal struggles are immense. They have walked away from their Islamic faith and upbringing to fit in to our Western culture. Because they call them selves Muslims, you then assume that they have integrated. However they've only integrated because they've turned their back on their upbringing as Muslims. If they were to adhere to their upbringing, they would not fit in, let alone integrate into a Western society.

What's coming in the future is a clash of civilizations that will occur on the streets of Western cities.
When that last big war of biblical proportions kicks off in the Middle East, we will probably have twice as many of these people living within our societies. We rounded up the Germans and Japanese during WW2...will we manage to round up and imprison millions of people next time? People who are far more fanatical and violently natured then the Germans and Japanese living amongst us were?

The best solution is to deport them and close the gates to them.
BUT that wont happen because of Globalization.
Globalization has been detrimental to Western civilization as a whole. Unless you are on the billionaire globalists who has profited. But 99% of us are not.

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 04:54 AM
link   
The whole remembrance day thing is a dumb tradition IMO. I remember my dead always, don't need some holiday and symbol and parades to remind me of those I lost. Trying to honor people you never knew seems like a pointless thing.

new topics

top topics

join