It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia's 'aircraft carrier killer' Varyag and battle cruiser Pyotr Veliky enter Mediterranean Sea

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 12:40 PM
link   

MrSpad
Also it is two cruisers, they would be lucky to see a carrier much less kill it.

And every carrier is apart of a strike group complete with frigates, a sub, destroyers, cruisers, those radar airplane thingies.... and also a supply ship....

And who knows how many jets and/or helos are on the ready.

On top of all this... if a Carrier or any Naval ship is struck with anything that can penetrate it.... they're made to stay afloat by simply shutting off that particular compartment that is flooded. It's actually pretty cool!

To sink a US Navy ship you'd have to almost obliterate it!

But let's be perfectly frank... once anyone comes remotely close to any US Naval ship the warnings they are given about how they are coming close to a US Naval warship ... yada yada yada ... not turning around and going the other way is kinda suicidal.

ALSO... there are what... 11? 12? strike groups? if anything breaks out and ANOTHER strike group comes to aid?

Sometimes it seems the US has been preparing for taking on the world's sea powers as a whole because... the world doesn't really stand a chance against all these strike groups... and btw they're backed by the US Marines D:
edit on 3-11-2013 by MikhailBakunin because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   

MrSpad
We do know that Russia and Israel are buddies now do we not? Israelis weapon tech sales to Russia, first Russian port visit ever, Putin admires Israel etc. Also it is two cruisers, they would be lucky to see a carrier much less kill it.

exactly...
and why should Russia start any conflict anyway, they have a plenty of natural resources.
Russia want to trade them peacefully.
edit on 3-11-2013 by KrzYma because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Spookybelle

How does taking issue with the actions of the Israeli govt = hating Jews?

You can always tell when someone has an agenda on here

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Spookybelle
reply to post by GrantedBail

Many countries are partaking in overt and covert actions against other nations. Currently, Kenya is doing all sorts of things to Somalia, especially in economic terms, that are leading to border conflicts with high casualties.

Why do you not single them out?

Its just curious why, with all the happenings around the world far more troublesome than Israel/Syria, that you feel the need to address that issue in particular.

What is your motivation?

So according to you...since there are other things going on in the world we should just ignore what Israel and Syria are doing? That's the dumbest thing I've ever read on here.
edit on 3-11-2013 by Evanzsayz because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by MikhailBakunin

So curiously awesome. lol

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Spookybelle

Many countries are partaking in overt and covert actions against other nations. Currently, Kenya is doing all sorts of things to Somalia, especially in economic terms, that are leading to border conflicts with high casualties.

Why do you not single them out?

Its just curious why, with all the happenings around the world far more troublesome than Israel/Syria, that you feel the need to address that issue in particular.

What is your motivation?

The thread is about Russian navy vessels entering the Mediterranean. Israel and Syria are on the Med. Israel just attacked Syria.
What is your motivation Tinke....I mean Spookybelle?

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 04:47 PM
link   
probably there to fly the flag near their equivalent of Guantanamo bay ,or could just be going to cruise around the area they may be basing out of(tartarus?).as other members said it seems to be pretty routine movement and announced months ago.

en.wikipedia.org...

According to Russia Today, on 26 June 2013, Russian Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs Bogdanov reported that the facility does not have any strategic military importance and that Russia decided to evacuate all civilian and military personnel from Tartus.[26] This information was denied by the Russian Defense Ministry on 27 June 2013. It was announced through a ministerial statement that "Tartus is still the official base for Russian ships in the Mediterranean and continues to carry out the tasks in the fulfillment of its missions"

wikimapia.org... so could be for anti piracy as well a Russia is using it as its primary base for anti piracy task force that i think is working with the UN

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
Dudes and Dudettes,

WHY has this thread devolved into yet another argument about Israel? The Russian navy sends ships into the Med ALL THE TIME. If you want a c0omplete accounting of Russian ship movements through the Bosphorus (that little strait between the Black Sea and the Med owned by Turkey, go here and take a look. This guy also discusses the Doğu Akdeniz 2013 Naval Exercise, which includes about 20 ships, mostly from Turkey, but also Germany and the USA, which is happening right now.

And if that isn't enough for you, the CSG Nimitz is in Naples, Italy right now. Every time a ship sails into the Med does not mean WW III is about to start.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Spookybelle
Why do you wish for someone to get up in Israel's face?

Are you hoping for a WWIII?

Do you dislike Jews?

Very curious statement.

Arabs and Christians live in Israel as well...but are forbidden rights (like owning property) due to the Israeli Constitution. Curious indeed.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Spookybelle

Do you dislike Jews?

Very curious statement.

why the hell does condemning that disgrace of a nation, the Zionist Empire of Israel, equal to disliking Jews? one has nothing to do with the other, unless you're willing to wave the antisemite flag at everyone saying a bad word about Zionists.

and WWIII will happen sooner or later, the question is why does it have to - and for that answer, ask Zionists. they're just waiting to pull the samson option, they're so insane that they believe it's the sole reason of their existence.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Spookybelle

Do you dislike Jews?

Very curious statement.

Because they haven't stopped to think of what consequences humanity will face if WW3 kicked off.
Their dislike of Jews, which is ingrained in leftists predominantly in western societies, over runs their minds that they cant think straight.
For some reason they confuse Jews with Zionists, when even Jews them selves stand against Zionism.
Can you imagine if there was an anti-Zionist protest, and Jews and these people showed up? These people would be confused as hell...

Some people view the actions of Israel with disgust. Therefore they believe that Israel should be punished. They often wish for a war against Israel, for someone to "stand up" to them to give them a bloody nose.
But they haven't stopped to think of the consequences. Of the innocent lives which will be lost.
Are all Jews responsible for the actions of the Israeli government? Of zionists?

Not all Muslims are jihadist extremists who want to blow us up.

But for some reason when it comes to Jews, they are all put in the same basket.

The anti-Israel thing usually starts in people when they are teenagers in Western societies. Not with everyone, but with some.
Usually though by the time they hit their early 20's and are too busy getting drunk/doing drugs on the weekends and trying to get laid as often as possible, they forget about that stuff and "get over it". Then they(usually) grow up a little more and get full time 9-5 work and start a family, and their worries in life are paying their bills and feeding/clothing their kids.

But some people are the exception..

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 02:02 AM
link   

the u.s. and russia will have a naval standoff as a new middle east war begins to start. soon after, russia will invade europe in a three pronged attack beginning wwiii.

i have no date or timeframe for these events, i just watch and wait.

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

GrantedBail
I am not sure what this means.

It means nothing. If you think this is news then you'll freak out when you find out that the only Russian aircraft carrier - Kuznetsov - is due to deploy to the Mediterranean! Shock horror the Russians are coming! Remember that it was announced back in June 2013.

Admiral Kuznetsov aircraft carrier to start long-range mission in Mediterranean in late 2013
June 1, 2013 Interfax

rbth.co.uk...

No doubt it will be major breaking news by the WW3 doom and gloom merchants on here and other sites?

Meanwhile back in the land of reality. Shock horror NATO nation Italy exercises with Russian Navy!

en.ria.ru...

Shock horror NATO nation Turkey exercises with Russian Navy!

www.hurriyet.com.tr...

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 02:00 PM
link   
In regards to the Varyag it was pre-announced and scheduled to replace the cruiser Moskva. Reported back in September 2013

The Pacific Fleet flagship missile cruiser Varyag will enter the Mediterranean in October, where it will head the permanent operative junction of the Russian Navy, a naval official told Interfax-AVN on Wednesday.

"In October, the cruiser Varyag will leave the Red Sea through the Suez Canal for the Mediterranean. According to the rotation plan, it will replace the Black Sea cruiser Moskva in late October, which is expected to return to Sevastopol in November," the source said.

rusnavy.com...

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   

GrantedBail

I don't like Israel's covert and overt actions against the nation of Syria. I am not hoping for WWIII, who would do that. I would like to see a super power come to Syria's aid.

What does anti-semitism have to do with anti-zionism.

Your statement is curious.

Isreal is a very small innocous and innocent country with hard working people who are self reliant and and advanced.Syrisa is an Moslom backwater with mosloms killing mosloms.They have not advanced even a little bit.
All the machines are imported with oil money which we showed them how to get of the sand.

By the way have you noticed how there is no uproar at all by mosloms about the 110000 killed in Syria?

On the other hand if America kills a few terrorists in a drone strike there are massive demonstrations and burning of buildings and cars and general murder and mayhem.But mosloms killing mosloms not a pip not a squeak.It must be those 72 virgins waiting for them...

posted on Nov, 5 2013 @ 02:17 PM
link   

tommyjo

GrantedBail
I am not sure what this means.

It means nothing. If you think this is news then you'll freak out when you find out that the only Russian aircraft carrier - Kuznetsov - is due to deploy to the Mediterranean! Shock horror the Russians are coming! Remember that it was announced back in June 2013.

Admiral Kuznetsov aircraft carrier to start long-range mission in Mediterranean in late 2013
June 1, 2013 Interfax

rbth.co.uk...

No doubt it will be major breaking news by the WW3 doom and gloom merchants on here and other sites?

Meanwhile back in the land of reality. Shock horror NATO nation Italy exercises with Russian Navy!

en.ria.ru...

Shock horror NATO nation Turkey exercises with Russian Navy!

www.hurriyet.com.tr...

lol shock horror it isn't the first time the Russian carrier has deployed to the Mediterranean.
A few years ago they held exercises in Greek maritime waters and airspace, of course unlike Turkey they went through the proper channels and received permission. I think Greece participated as well.

It's nothing new.
The Russians have a base at Tartus.
Although I wonder why they don't just turn it into a fully fledged naval facility and base vessels there on rotation year round.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 11:10 AM
link   

iBallinU

It's nothing new.
The Russians have a base at Tartus.
Although I wonder why they don't just turn it into a fully fledged naval facility and base vessels there on rotation year round.

Quite correct, but it won't stop the die-hards thinking that these deployments are the start of doom and gloom about to descend on the region.

In regards to Tartus it is too small. Not deep enough or built to sustain operations. The Russians are now looking at Egypt for port facilities.

The non-sense has already started with the conspiracy die-hards. Now the Russians are going to control the Suez Canal

Headlines such as ''Russia to Build Naval Base in Egypt to control Suez Canal' have already started appearing
When will the gibberish and non-sense stop?

Some more level headed reporting.

www.timesofisrael.com...

www.albawaba.com...

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   

GrantedBail

I don't like Israel's covert and overt actions against the nation of Syria. I am not hoping for WWIII, who would do that. I would like to see a super power come to Syria's aid.

What does anti-semitism have to do with anti-zionism.

Your statement is curious.

I would like to see Syria get S-300PMU-2's (with Over-lapping Coverage of the whole country) 300 Su-27's (Upgraded with AESA Radars/1500 T-72 BM's/1500 T-80BM's New BodyArmor for ALL their troops/AK-12's/6000 upgraded BMP's/New nightvision/Thermovission goggles then, we can see in the IDF DARES to try and sneak in and attack.

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by ATSWATCHER

And considering that they haven't even paid for the S-300s they bought several years ago, the ridiculous amount of money that would take is going to come from where?

posted on Nov, 6 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Zaphod58
reply to post by ATSWATCHER

And considering that they haven't even paid for the S-300s they bought several years ago, the ridiculous amount of money that would take is going to come from where?

What 300 did they pay for I thought they never got them, years ago or today???????????

I said I would (wish) like to see, not "I know the have the $ to buy all that."

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join