It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shark taken by bigger predator, what?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+10 more 
posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
au.news.yahoo.com...

www.watoday.com.au...

Ok cryptoids here is an interesting story worth no more than a passing thought

Allegedly, if we read the news, a 3m, 500kg ??? White dives down nearly six hundred meters and is then suddenly experiencing 26 degree water temperatures
Ok thats cool, but a shark in 8 degree waters registering 26 degrees (probably eaten and in some things belly).

I have let my imagination run wild on this, the paper alledges killer whales. Not likely at 600 meters depth as they breathe air

"She dived quickly down the edge of the continental shelf to a depth of 580m where the external tag had a temperature reading of 8C. Suddenly, still at 580m deep, the tag's temperature shot up to 26C.

It stayed at that temperature, at varying depths, for about a week until it was released and floated to the surface.

The most likely scenario was that, after being chased to the ocean floor, the shark and its tag were eaten by another creature.'

Seems what ever took the shark probably ate it before passing out the tag some time latter.

What could take a shark that size and eat it and remain submerged for about a week,,,at least

any theories, another shark, killer whale or squid.
Or something unknown and bigger

I recon there is a good story for the imagination in this.
edit on Mon Nov 4 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by borntowatch

Hiya OP,

Killer Whales can dive over 200 meters, and also tend to hunt in packs so I wouldn't rule them out. They can take down giant whales in groups, and also tend to chase their prey and try to force it to the surface. It's quite possible I suppose that several creatures were responsible for the shark's demise based on what I've read?

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Excellent read, thank you. S+F. My bets are on a killer whale. The largest one being ten metres! Easily devour any shark. King of the ocean...

+18 more 
posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Yeah
I have serious issues with the killer whale scenario.
"580 meters deep and remained there for about a week.'
Killer whales need air to breathe so would need to surface, not stay deep.
I just researched and they are warm blooded so those 8 degree temps would kill them, their body temperatures are 36.4º to 38ºC (97.5º–100.4ºF) www.seaworld.org...

So not an Orca for me
edit on 3-11-2013 by borntowatch because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Whales dive...

+11 more 
posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
If the tag was external on the shark, is it possible that another creature took only 1 bite at the shark, and doing so, ate the tag with it?
It doesn't have to be something that eat the whole shark.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   

The team saw killer whales, sharks, birds and other creatures devouring pieces of white meat.
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

An aerial photograph revealed a killer whale pulling along what Museum Victoria squid expert Mark Norman described as either the biggest giant squid on record or something he did not know.

edit on 3-11-2013 by Wide-Eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Wide-Eyes

Yeah true, but according to science, Killer whales are recorded no deeper than 300 meters.

Look maybe a Killer whale took it, I wasnt there so cant argue.
I just let my imagination run a little wild and thought of something bigger and unknown

Its a crypto forum and it seemed relevant

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   

sweeper84
If the tag was external on the shark, is it possible that another creature took only 1 bite at the shark, and doing so, ate the tag with it?
It doesn't have to be something that eat the whole shark.

Yep something living at 600 meters depth and had a body temp of 26 degrees, stays down those depths for a week.

I dont have an answer, its just an interesting story that got me thinking

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   

This might be a possibility OP...

Octo's are found in depths to 5000 feet for the Dumbo. And 1500 feet for the giant pacific Octo.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   

IIRC the TV special that aired recently (Discovery Channel?) regarding the search for Megalodon was also talking about and may have even showed something similar re: great white shark being eaten or attacked by some unknown large predator.

In a surprise move, the show was overdone and more hype than fact, but the question it begged re: some very large predator seeming to be out there in the ocean and just recently making itself known due to shifting and changing ocean currents, is in my opinion - a legitimate one.

You know what they say about humans having much more knowledge of the moon than we do of what's beneath our oceans...

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Klassified

Aren't squid (and octopi) coldblooded?

What ever the temperature of the water, that's the temperature of the squid..

Peace
edit on 3-11-2013 by operation mindcrime because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
There have been recent temperature changes in the world's oceans. From memory, it is the rise in ocean temperatures which was leading to the mass deaths of aquatic species. Perhaps that specific area of the ocean was hit with one of these sudden temperature climbs?

Not sure though, as the Shark probably would have tried to get away from it. Also, i imagine there would need to be other deaths around in order to confirm the above theory.

Just throwing it out there.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
Australia... where the animals on land rival the animals in the water for being the most dangerous predators.

Stradbroke Island on the eastern side has a monster too..

www.youtube.com...

a 3-4m Great White was caught on a bouy line, it was being dragged in when it was almost bittin clean in half by another, much larger shark!

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
Would the fact the apparatus being in somethings gut alter the data it transmitted? or how the recieved data is used? if the recieving station knows at 1m away they get 100% of the signal and thus use the signal strength to determine depth if some animals body cavity/digestive juices and all that stuff could alter the signal strength then the depth reading could be wrong

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Cmon guys, am i the only one thinking Godzilla?
Y'know, with fukushima and all. Maybe......

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Octopus's seem to be a bigger predator than a shark and have eaten them.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   

operation mindcrime

Aren't squid (and octopi) coldblooded?

What ever the temperature of the water, that's the temperature of the squid..

Peace

Yes. The octo is a good candidate for being the culprit in this case. Much more likely than whales, or another larger predator.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Agit8dChop

Yikes!!...one more reason NOT to visit.

But my best guess would also be that it was eaten by an other great white...

Peace

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Yeah but how can the sensor go from 8 degrees (water temp) to 26 degrees while remaining at the same depth inside a coldblooded animal?

Peace

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join