It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Turkey scrambles jets to intercept Russian warplanes

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   
The topic is Turkey scrambles jets to intercept Russian warplanes ...
And yet it instantly jumps to 'bad israel'

Has ANYONE got anything to say about the actual topic of this thread? Or is it going to just be a bunch of people trying to drag Israel into the discussion ... being snotty as they do it ... ????

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   

intrepid
reply to post by GrantedBail

WTH does Israel have to do with this?

I should think it rather obvious? Did you go to AIPAC this year?
2nd line
3rd line for good measure.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by HUMBLEONE

Do you have a point?

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 02:14 PM
link   

FlyersFan
The topic is Turkey scrambles jets to intercept Russian warplanes ...
And yet it instantly jumps to 'bad israel'

Has ANYONE got anything to say about the actual topic of this thread? Or is it going to just be a bunch of people trying to drag Israel into the discussion ... being snotty as they do it ... ????

It's amazing to see the relentless persistence in dragging the topic/thread OT...

That aside, has anyone determined if this is new news or old news?

Absent any other information, the poster stating it may be nothing more than an SOP Russian tactic to gauge response times may be close to the mark.

Throwing the whole Syria mess into the mix does make any incidents in the region that much more worrisome and so bears watching as things are still very edgy.

The only ones missing now are the Chinese...

Or are they?

And I got thru the whole post without mentioning the-country-who-shall-remain-nameless

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
Why stay within the topic parameters when the truth is muti-faceted ?
edit on 3-11-2013 by all2human because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
www.turkiyenewspaper.com... think it was an old one but this link talks about how its pretty standard for the region

www.aa.com.tr... think this is the link the OP was looking for

3 November 2013 20:45 (Last updated 03 November 2013 20:47) The Russian aircraft was flying near Turkish airspace, said Turkish General Staff ANKARA Turkish F-16 jets followed a Russian military aircraft flying near Turkish airspace in the Black Sea. Turkish General Staff stated on Sunday that a Russian IL-20 aircraft coming over Georgia approached Turkey's coasts in the Black Sea international air space. Russian aircraft flew approximately 15 miles off Turkey's coasts, and two Turkish F-16 jets followed the aircraft.
so i guess it was different from the earlier incident but still not much of a big deal

www.turkiyenewspaper.com... only added for context to show russia and turkey while not the best of friends tend to get along better now then they did during the old days

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 05:03 PM
link   
not seeing any,,

DAVID
GENGHIS KHAN
ALEXANDER THE GREAT
TAMERLANE
ATILLA THE HUN
CHARLEMAGNE
PHARAOH THUTMOSE III OF EGYPT
ASHOKA THE GREAT
CYRUS THE GREAT
CH'IN SHIH HUANG
AUGUSTUS CAESAR
OR
John F Kennedy's
or
Ronald Regans

but there is one guy,,

Prime Minister Putin?

is he the "they"??

( the above list is taken partly from,
Ten of the greatest: Historical conquerors.
By CONN IGGULDEN, Historian and author

UPDATED: 21:01 GMT, 4 September 2010

Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook )

this part,,,all mine.

OR
John F Kennedy's
or
Ronald Regans

but there is one guy,,

Prime Minister Putin?

is he the "they"??

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 05:05 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

ok so Obama was number 2,, but u know what they say about #2,,,don't u? lol

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   
reply to post by BobAthome

All right Pres. Obama u can join the list,, ,,big suck,,,,,

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   

intrepid

WTH does Israel have to do with this?

Good question.
I also want to know what this has to do with WW3.

The Russians are becoming more militarily active, which for some odd reason some people think every time a Russia jet flies, WW3 is about to start.
All the Russian's are doing is closing the gap which was created when the USSR collapsed. That caused their military to decay, with less aircraft flying, ships at sea, exercises, etc.

The Russian's were flying in International airspace, close to Turkey. That's why Turkey scrambled jets.

Imo, GOOD. I hope the Russian's continue this, and even violate Turkish airspace with squadrons of armed fighters.

The Turks have been doing the exact same thing in the Aegean to Greece and in the Mediterranean to Cyprus for many years now, and recently they started trying to antagonize Israel with the same tactics.

At the moment Israel and Greece are holding a series of joint military exercises in the Aegean and Mediterranean. Turkey attempts to interfere and cause an incident, by either sending a vessel in the middle of these exercises, or by sending it's jets in.

Earlier in the year or last year(cant' remember exact date), Greece was holding live fire naval exercises.
Turkey with all it's infinite wisdom decided it would be a good idea to send a frigate in to the middle of the live fire exercises.

So, if the Russian's want to dish out some of Turkeys medicine back to it, GOOD.
Think of it like Karma in a way.

I wonder if oil and gas is discovered in the middle of the Black Sea, if Turkey will try claim that it's continental shelf and EEZ extend all the way. I wonder if they'll risk pissing off Uncle Ivan, and risk Putin's wrath. Would be interesting to see...Uncle Ivan finally making another push for Constantinople/Istanbul, and the straights...it is prophesied to happen.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Wrabbit2000
Second, they have cracked and bypassed the IFF safeguards to be able to engage Israeli fighters, despite the system having been hard coded to prevent allies from locking onto each other. Turkey has sworn they won't share that with other regional powers who also use the F-16.

This is a common misconception that is false. There is no safeguard to prevent locking onto another aircraft. IFF can change on an hourly basis, so they would have to have every possible IFF code encoded into the system. An IFF code is usually four digits long, which means they would have to have a god awful number of codes stored, or take the planes out of service every day to reencode them.

Blue on Blue isn't as common with aircraft, but it does happen. During Desert Storm an F-4 fired a Sidewinder that blew part of a B-52 tail off. Fortunately everyone was ok, and the bomber landed safely.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Sorry, but this is nothing more than simple training. Russia is trying hard to get back on their feet, after a few disastrous years militarily. So they're training hard, including flying around other countries. This happens all the time.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 07:26 PM
link   
I have always thought that the Soviets/Russians approached airspaces often, (and probably every other Air Force in the world too for that matter), just to see the reaction?

Anyways, I think that historically speaking, Turks and Russians have not been what you might call "friends".

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by BobM88

They've ramped it up a lot in recent years. Everywhere from Alaska, to Norway, to Guam, and just about everywhere else. It's back like it was in the 80s again.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 07:54 PM
link   
So no doom?

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Not this time.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 08:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

They're just havin' a little fun.

Seriously, that's interesting, that they've ramped it back up to that stage. I guess the CIS must be ready to resume the role that Russia had at the time of the fall of the Soviet Union, the counter-balance to America. What do you think, Zaphod58?

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by BobM88

They went through a horrible phase for the last decade or so, where their production, and readiness was through the floor, for most of their units. There were a couple dozen units that were combat effective for awhile, and that was about it.

Their production was a joke. The Su-34 hit the line units, and they could pull the same board out of three different aircraft, and no two were alike. Wires were soldered with enough solder to hold a house, but they were put together so poorly that they'd fall apart if you looked at them cross eyed.

Now, they've found resources they can access in Siberia, and have gotten money to start to fix it. They're buying Mistral helicopter carriers from France, and are rebuilding their air force and army. We've been seeing a resurgent Bear for the last few years, just few people have noticed it. They still have a long way to go, especially with production (the Mistrals they're buying are being built by Russian workers assisted by French workers, and the first ones are built in France, and assembled in Russia), but give them a few years, and we'll see them where they were in the 80s again.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Zaphod58

Thanks for the quick response. All really interesting, and simultaneously reassuring and unsettling. I don't miss the days of wondering if/when thermonuclear war with the Soviets would break out, but the world seemed to be a lot more stable in those days too.

Isn't it sad when you can feel nostalgia for the Cold War? What a sorry state the world's in these days.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by BobM88

Yeah, I know what you mean. At least then you knew who was going to try to kill you and why. Now it seems like the world is sliding farther into chaos, faster every day.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join