It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Understanding Religious Opposition

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   

opopanax

AbleEndangered
reply to post by opopanax

Which element are you contesting isn't in the Bible?

All of them?

Then read it and prove to me it isn't in there!!

I did not contest any of the specific elements you mentioned. I posed some general questions, which you (unsurprisingly) disregarded. I have read the Bible. I highly doubt I could sway your beliefs even if I wanted to, which I don't. I was just curious to hear your reasoning re: how you "know" you're right.

On a different note, quoting scripture ad nauseam to non-believers or those who disagree with you is, I believe, more likely to come across as off-putting than it is to convert or convince. It's a good way to "preach to the choir," though.
edit on 11/7/2013 by opopanax because: (no reason given)

Quote anything else but the Holy Bible??

Afraid I might accidentally bless the thread, website, a reader or something huh?...

Or, was it intentional?...

Greatest selling book in History that NO one reads!!

I answered your original questions, with questions....

edit on 7-11-2013 by AbleEndangered because: additions, subtraction and format

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Thought Provoker

akushla99
Within this fora...ATS, topic heading is Religion, Faith and Theology...not Christianity, Christianity and Christianity...why are you ignoring this? Religion is not just Christianity, and that is not the topic heading...what are you reading wrong?

Christianity is A religion. This forum is one of only two on ATS dedicated to religious discussions (and faith, and theology). Christianity distinctly falls into that category. I don't see any forum called "Christianity;" thus, this one is by default the only place on ATS where general non-conspiratorial Christianity-centric threads may be started, and every one of them gets invaded. How many threads are there in this forum that focus on Islam, or Buddhism, or Shinto, or Satanism? Damn few. By and large, the threads focus on Christianity, denominational and non-, because that's the dominant religion of the English-speaking world. If ATS had been started in China instead, this forum would probably not have very much in it related to Christianity. Can't you see that what you're doing is no different from someone walking into a library and yelling "Why are there so many books in here??"

...errr NO

Christianity is a religion - correct! (that'd be why christians are posting in the Religions, Faith and Theology section)

When other Faith and Theologic based believers scout this section and decide to chime in, there is no ATS T&C to herd them off because they are not christian (because it's not Christianity, Christianity and Christianity)...that's where the 'discussion' comes into it - under the banner of Religion, Faith and Theology...discuss...

I would suggest...because it seems to be a problem you are having with ATS, is that you tell them they SHOULD insert a Dedicated Christian topic sections that is OFF-LIMITS to anyone who doesn't consider themselves a christian.

You're being a bit naiive, if you think It could work perfectly any other way...contact the owner...

Thank you, your request has been placed in a queue...[Easter Island Help Desk]

Å99
edit on 7-11-2013 by akushla99 because: (no reason given)

Edit to add: you've been here since 2009 and its bothered you that long and you've never contacted the owner about your concerns...?!

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   

AbleEndangered
Quote anything else but the Holy Bible??

Afraid I might accidentally bless the thread, website, a reader or something huh?...

I'm not "afraid," I was just commenting on how the constant posting of walls of scripture can often come across to those who do not share your beliefs. Go ahead and "bless" who/whatever you want if it makes you feel good. I'm not sure what you're wondering about being intentional.

AbleEndangered

This is one of those catchphrases you seem to love tossing around, but it seems out of place here, right after I said I'd read it.

AbleEndangered
I answered your original questions, with questions....

No, you did not address my original questions, you just posed ones of your own.

How do you "know" your beliefs and interpretations are correct and that others who disagree with you are wrong?

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 10:28 PM
link   

AbleEndangered

Please excuse my wording I should have worded it like this:

Afraid I might accidentally or intentionally bless the thread, website, a reader or something, huh?...

Sorry for the vague language.

AbleEndangered

As for the phrase. You will see many phrases I use re-occur. I got some favorites. I use the phrase because at one time people were lucky to have a book. If you had a Bible you were wealthy. It was cherished and read as a family. A treasured possession. Usually written by Hand before printing presses.

To read it they had to be blessed with the gift of reading.

Today a family can have a Holy Bible sit on a low dark shelf in the corner and never open it their entire lives... They don't realize what treasure they have.

As far as you reading it, that is between you and the wall.

Onto the Interpretations.

I recommend basing Biblical studies on the (KJV) King James Translation and using an (NIV) New International Version as a companion Bible to help with some of the old English translations. Then drift into older translations and Apocryphal Texts. Then make comparisons to other Religions and Faiths. You will find there are amazing similarities. The Holy Bible is more like the Quran than it is different..

If you read the Holy Bible literally for the most part like you contend you have, you would most likely concur it was a series of Close Encounters of Alien or Divine Intervention.

In the interpretation divine order may easily be replaced with Alien Agenda...Neither phrase occurs in either translation!!

These do phrases do tho:
Pillar of fire by night, cloud by day
A flying wheel within a wheel
Fiery Chariots
Flying Holy Temples
Flying Fiery Serpents that bit and killed

Some interesting phenomenon that the book describes as well. I'll briefly touch on a few more that weren't in my older reply to another member:
Submersivible Vehicles
Flying Boxes
Radiation Burns and Sickness

Oh and get this...Dragons and Leviathans....

I can go on and on but if I do it would be thread drifting. I can go on and on...

Do you concur?

edit on 8-11-2013 by AbleEndangered because: additions and format

posted on Nov, 7 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Thought Provoker

Thought Provoker

Why do you do it?

The "devil" or some variation thereof made them do it (ie: egotistic willful pride of man who holds any sort of religious or spiritual inclination in seething contempt, which is actually rather amuzing), either that or it's just a knee jerk sycophantic, naysayer, atheist reaction/response mechanism, in which case they ought to reconsider who they are labeling as "ignorant" because their diatribes are always filled with assumptions and blanket statements and ad hominems that are without foundation or a well reasoned argument - if only they could see it from the POV of someone outside their often rather narrow materialist monist, newtonian-seperative, reality tunnel.

Best Regards,

NAM aka Bob

edit on 7-11-2013 by NewAgeMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 01:22 AM
link   

opopanax

AbleEndangered

Which element are you contesting isn't in the Bible?

All of them?

Then read it and prove to me it isn't in there!!

I did not contest any of the specific elements you mentioned. I posed some general questions, which you (unsurprisingly) disregarded. I have read the Bible. I highly doubt I could sway your beliefs even if I wanted to, which I don't. I was just curious to hear your reasoning re: how you "know" you're right.

On a different note, quoting scripture ad nauseam to non-believers or those who disagree with you is, I believe, more likely to come across as off-putting than it is to convert or convince. It's a good way to "preach to the choir," though.

I forgot to directly reply to this in last post:

It wasn't that bad. I even highlighted emphasized sections in green text for skimmers.

and,

In no way am I going to convince or convert anyone(opposition). All I have to do is plant the seed...

2 Corinthians 9:10 KJV
Now he that ministereth seed to the sower both minister bread for your food, and multiply your seed sown, and increase the fruits of your righteousness

The Wink "
" is actually in the King James version like it was waiting 400 (1611 KJV) years to wink!!

edit on 8-11-2013 by AbleEndangered because: format

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by AbleEndangered

Too bad there is no such thing as an Atheist...

That's a semantic argument and holds no bearing on an individuals true perspective.

You have no way of knowing if someone fundamentally doesn't "believe" in a god/s.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 02:30 AM
link   

Why are you so intent on trying to change the way other people think?

It's truly an attitude of hubris.

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by puzzlesphere

If someone can change the way someone else thinks. That means new brain cells will be forming to store those ideas. When the brain later accesses that information in the conscious or sub-conscious other cells and ideas can grow and stem from that.

Is changing a way of thinking or mindset that bad?

The current mindset of society obviously isn't working!!

posted on Nov, 8 2013 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Changing the way you think is great, we are truly all changelings... religion is about not changing certain precepts... hasn't worked for millennium.

Yes society has some issues... and the majority think theologically in some respect... that seems highly suggestive.
edit on 8-11-2013 by puzzlesphere because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join