It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The liberal entitlement-state dream. But I don't want that dream.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Not a bad article and it hits home with me.

www.cnbc.com...

Why must this admin and those that think like them insist upon cramming down my throat laws that should just not exist?

Ok, I get it. They think they know better. But so did the Nazis, Communists, etc, etc. And we see how that worked out didn’t we?

What is wrong with the current laws that we have on the books, other than they don’t seem to enforce them anyways? Unless it suits their purpose. We don't NEED new laws!

I believe that we, the U.S., has gone beyond the slippery slope and are in a full out slide to the bottom.

Third grade math tells me that the tax revenue is just not there to provide for all these programs and agencies this government wants.

Its common sense folks. What is currently going on will not work. Cuts need to be across the board. DoD, Welfare, etc, etc, and certain agencies need to be scrapped as well.

ETA: Ah, I feel better, now I hope I can get some sleep. See ya all in the morn!

edit on 2-11-2013 by TDawgRex because: Just a ETA

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I don't want that dream, either. I'm serious. I'm already living it right now and I have spent every last minute of my life trying to get to the point where I Can support myself. The truth of the matter is, having someone else in control of your resources means they get to control your life choices.

And with the psychiatry industry the way it is, anything that would have been considered a character trait, or even a pastime in previous centuries is now considered an illness. I literally get anxious inviting people over to play board games at my house, since I am 28, and they get anxious about it as well.

Most of them are living with their parents, and it is NOT because they were not hard workers, they graduated with relevant degrees in college. One person came back to live here and his parents gave him "free" lodging but he didn't realize that meant he had to take care of his grandmother with Alzheimer and spend 8 hours a day on the farm most of the year without pay.

It's slave labor.

It honest to God is. What should be happening in our country, is the younger generation should be able to get jobs that allow them to afford their own houses, cars, gas, food, bills, cell phone and internet and they should be able to be in stable relationships and have friends and realize that hobbies are okay.

That's not what happens, though - psychologically, when people aren't able to earn their very basics on their own (and trust me, they want to) they feel guilty when its time to play, and spend a lot of time fighting or hating themselves.

And I don't know. All I can say is that I am entering the 28th year of my life, I am on food stamps, I have a college education, I'm earning less than $800 a month and I'm still pushing forward. Even harder every day. And it doesn't make a difference.

It might be making a difference this month, as I'm finally moving into my own apartment and I finally have my own car, and I can finally afford to pay most of my bills. But I'll have to see what happens.
edit on 02pmSat, 02 Nov 2013 23:09:50 -0500kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

Its common sense folks. What is currently going on will not work. Cuts need to be across the board. DoD, Welfare, etc, etc, and certain agencies need to be scrapped as well.

It's common sense to people who have common sense - unfortunately the common part is a misnomer. It should be called "rare" sense. The US had it collectively for a while, when our founding fathers - those with "common" sense - escaped from their oppressors and really seemed to understand the nature of tyranny, but history shows it rarely lasts very long.

Maybe someone with real common sense will come and save us from this - Ron Paul tried - but unfortunately, history does repeat itself....

Hope you were asleep before I posted this very uplifting post!

We just have to keep hoping that the "enough is enough" mantra will take hold once again!
edit on 3-11-2013 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 01:24 AM
link   

darkbake

Most of them are living with their parents, and it is NOT because they were not hard workers, they graduated with relevant degrees in college. One person came back to live here and his parents gave him "free" lodging but he didn't realize that meant he had to take care of his grandmother with Alzheimer and spend 8 hours a day on the farm most of the year without pay.

It's slave labor.

Sorry, I usually tend to agreement with you darkbake.

Did your parents, asked to be paid back for housing you and feeding you for 20 years, perhaps paying for college?

Historically, famiies have cared for each other across the generations in both directions.

When you are part of a household you contribute what you can to that household and you share in the benefits of that household.

It's not slave labor - unless you are a self centered and selfish. Try being grateful for what you have instead of what you don't. Try being grateful for what others did for you when you were helpless.

Grow a pair. There is work out there, find it, but your attitude (entitled much?) may be standing in your way. You may have to take a job you don't like, are overqualified for. Don't whine .... that doesn't do any good.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   

darkbake
I don't want that dream, either. I'm serious. I'm already living it right now and I have spent every last minute of my life trying to get to the point where I Can support myself. The truth of the matter is, having someone else in control of your resources means they get to control your life choices.

And with the psychiatry industry the way it is, anything that would have been considered a character trait, or even a pastime in previous centuries is now considered an illness. I literally get anxious inviting people over to play board games at my house, since I am 28, and they get anxious about it as well.

It's slave labor.

No it's not.

Many Americans have had an unreasonable expectation of wealth since the postwar abundance and ideals based in the same 1950's mental images.

Outsourcing menial jobs has hurt us further, and then us 80's kids bought the story that every single person needed a 4year degree to go anywhere despite not having a frickin ounce of actual ability due to zero hands-on experience.

The world is a pyramid, not a wine glass, hence there is only so much room for highly educated people, yet we Americans have a nasty habit of looking down on tradesmen and instead convince ourselves that we all should be lawyers, doctors, stock brokers and accountants.

What the hell was ever wrong with doing an honest days work and actually physically MAKING something?

Our arrogance and career entitlement have killed us.

Far too many of us see ourselves as temporarily unemployed future millionaires.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 04:46 AM
link   

darkbake

I'll be in a similar situation myself before to long, though I won't be moving in with family, so I'll at least have a little "Me" time. But it's also by choice as my niece needs help with her son while her and the hubby are at work and I'll be doing the daily odd jobs for my folks as well since they are getting up there in the years.

My sister, bless her heart, is doing all that on her own and it's starting to take it's toll. She needs a break and the additional hand.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 05:45 AM
link   
[

The world is a pyramid, not a wine glass, hence there is only so much room for highly educated people, yet we Americans have a nasty habit of looking down on tradesmen and instead convince ourselves that we all should be lawyers, doctors, stock brokers and accountants.

What the hell was ever wrong with doing an honest days work and actually physically MAKING something?

Why do you think that is? Looking down on tradesmen?

I work my ass off, so much so that I don't need to go to the gym for exercise. Most of us carry our own lunch to work and eat better than most people.

I also make almost $50 an hour.(total package) I have health care and a pension. I love my job and am proud of all the buildings I have worked on. I get up at 3:15 every morning and look forward to my day.

I don't have to wear expensive suits, especially in the hot summer...I can actually wear dirty clothes to work

I don't understand why more young people don.t see the skilled trades as a viable and profitable future.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 07:08 AM
link   
reply to post by TDawgRex

You greedy, greedy, greed-head!

How DARE you think of yourself or your loved ones!

What about all of those people who need your money? What are you going to do with your money? FEED yourself? CLOTHE yourself?

You selfish bastard!

So I guess your entitlements to yourself are more important than faceless strangers who have come to depend on YOUR money!

Are you an AmeriCAN, or an AmeriCAN'T?

(/sarc)

new topics

top topics

join