It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"So help me God" now optional in the Air Force oath

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 08:05 PM
link   
This is sure to be a controversial topic. I agree that the military has become far to religious to the point that they often push religion on service members. It is also true in my opinion that having an oath to god is establishing religion which the government is not supposed to do. I am also sure that a ton of military worshippers are going are going to be extremely upset by this change, but I am glad to see some small amount of archaic tradition being brought out of the dark ages.

news.msn.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 08:16 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

I couldn't speak for the Air Force.
But it has been optional in the Marine Corps for at least 15 years now. Seems like a non issue to me. Sounds like it's just political pandering to me.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

"Optional" being the key word. I see no problem with it.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

I was never an airman, but I do not believe there is such a thing as "the Air Force oath." This oath is an anti-cheating oath at the Air Force Academy. It is not related to the oaths of enlistment and office, which are uniform across the services.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Simply let your 'Yes' be 'Yes,' and your 'No,' 'No'; anything beyond this comes from the evil one. Matthew 5:37

We're not supposed to swear or take oaths anyway. In fact the use of "so help me God" seems, to me, to be closer to directly opposing what Jesus says.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by CB328

Its the same when a person takes an oath in a court of law.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
If you're talking about The Oath of Enlistment, it's been that way over 20 years, I remember it being optional when I did my enlistment

posted on Nov, 16 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

The right to choose...
Why is that such an issue for people? We are all individuals and do not need a mother hen telling us what we can and cannot do.

top topics

join