Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Panetta: US may have to use military force against Iran

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 03:00 PM
link   
It's been a little while since we heard war drumming against Iran and this time it's not coming from Netenyahooooo!, but our own former CIA director.

www.jpost.com...

NEW YORK -- Addressing the Anti-Defamation League's 100th annual meeting on Thursday night, former US secretary of defense and CIA director Leon Panetta told the ballroom of around 600 people that while the US has "implemented unprecedented sanctions and pressure on Iran, we may very well have to use military force to back up our policy."

I do agree with Panetta here,

Panetta reemphasized the American line that the US has "no friend, no better ally in the world than Israel," but he expressed concern over the "growing sense of isolationism in this country [the US]" over the last ten years of fighting two wars in Afghanistan and Iraq, and the shifting power dynamics among world leaders. "The fact remains that we live in a very dangerous world," he said. "We continue to have threats from North Korea as they test nuclear weapons. We have instability and fragility in the Middle East. All of this happens at a time when we are imperiled by gridlock in Washington."

Panetta devoted part of his speech to tearing down DC's leaders over the recent government shutdown and the budget sequester. "If you ask me what biggest threat to national security is today," he continued, "it is fact that our political leaders cannot come together to deal with this nation's problems. This is time when must maintain military strength and our role in the world as a world leader. We cannot retreat from the responsibilities that US has in the world today."

Also in the news,

Iran's Revolutionary Guards committed to 'Death to America' | Ynet

The Revolutionary Guards, the elite Iranian regime's army, said Saturday they are committed to the slogan "Death to America," chanted at official ceremonies, just days before the 34th anniversary of the storming of the American Embassy in Tehran. "The slogan Death to America is the symbol of strength and determination of the Iranian nation against the dominance of the United States, which is an oppressive and untrustworthy nation," said the Revolutionary Guards on their official website.

In recent weeks, a debate was launched in Iran on the merits of continuing to chant "Death to America " during official ceremonies, while some relaxation occurred in relations between Tehran and Washington since the election in June of moderate President Hassan Rohani.

Iran pulls down anti-US posters in capital | AFP

Tehran (AFP) - The Tehran municipality has removed anti-American posters from the streets of the capital which questioned US honesty in nuclear talks with Iran, media reported on Sunday.

The move comes as President Hassan Rouhani, a reputed moderate, has made fresh overtures to the West, including direct talks between US and Iranian officials, and ahead of the 34th anniversary of the US embassy seizure in Tehran.

With Syria following through and destroying their chemical plants they're out of the cross hairs, for now, but at the same time Iran announces 34 new nuclear sites. Are they trying to power the entire Middle East?

Iran Announces 34 New Nuke Sites | Washington Free Beacon

Iran plans to build many new nuclear plants with atomic reactors along its coastlines with the Persian Gulf and Caspian Sea, Iran’s top nuclear official announced on Thursday.

The announcement comes just a week after Western nuclear negotiators claimed that Iran was giving ground in talks aimed at ending Tehran’s contested enrichment program.

Iranian leaders, however, have remained defiant in the face of talks, announcing on Thursday that Tehran will build “enough atomic reactors to generate a total of 20,000 megawatts of electricity by 2020,” according to the country’s state-run Fars News Agency.

edit on 2-11-2013 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

best case : CIA director,,,who is it??? dont know ,,dont care. cause its a Secret,,, that intigence comes from, fer America.

Worst Case: CIA director,,,in charge of the United States Military..
may b was the cia who sent a mess too the Pentagon Building,,,???

So who is Directing America's Military,,,???

just saying,, of course it might be the Head Guy,,u know,,i mean common Barrack,,Obamacare,, it even has your Name for the rest of American History,,and didnt even come close too numbering the ,,sand,,or the stars,,,, keep at it though,,

CIA director,,dont set Policy.

Ladies and Gentlemen,,tonights Episode,,is about,,

a young boy with vast mental powers, but lacking emotional development, holds his terrified family in thrall to his every juvenile wish.

For your,,enjoyment.

in the twilight zone.

ohh wait im getting confused.
edit on 11/2/2013 by BobAthome because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

I wonder what changed from just about 2 years ago?

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

What changed? Politics and the priorities they set. That's all that's changed, in my personal opinion.

If the United States openly engages Iran? I think it will mark the last big move we will ever make as a Major world power in our lifetimes. The slide down after that, I fear, will be both swift and impossible to return from.

Some of the last decade came close and danced on the edge of the abyss. That will be a full belly flop right into it.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

I agree. It almost seemed like the US government was actively looking for a war with someone, anyone.

I don't think they put much stock in the citizens that they are supposed to represent. I would hate to be in office when the masses show up with pitchforks.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
I'm just alright with the Iranian "threat".
They have no vehicle that could threaten the USA.
The terrorist regime of Israel is a totally different story.
I believe we should send UN inspectors and peacekeepers to Israel to find and destroy their WMD's.
While there they should also replace their government ala Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya, Etc. to ensure the peoples freedom from the terrorist regime.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
His timing is a bit off, just when the new man from Iran is making overtures for negotiations with the west. It looks like the CIA are plain power hungry, since when did they call the shots for military intervention? The CIC is one Barak Obama, unless the CIA is planning to usurp him.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 04:26 PM
link   
The comments by Panetta are par for the course, given the audience!
I mean, he's not likley to stand up in front of the ADL membershipe or AIPAC and tell then go STFU and get with the programme!

Just another politico sucking up to the rulers to keep his job.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Streeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetched too thin.....

Might have to use those foreign troops to hurt innocent people in Iran...

"They" need to leave them the **** alone!!

No to War!!

Enough Turmoil..

Enough is Enough!!

Do "they" have to fully repeat what happened to the Roman and Soviet Empires??

"They" want to get in Iran bad before the end....

"They" want everyone so confused before the rocks slam into Earth...

We should be preparing and safe guarding for the Children of the Future at least.

Instead of Global War it should be Global Fasting and Pilgrimage...
edit on 2-11-2013 by AbleEndangered because: additions

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 05:42 PM
link   

Swills
I do agree with Panetta here,

Panetta reemphasized the American line that the US has "no friend, no better ally in the world than Israel,"

Bulls**t.

Israel, like royalty and central banks, is a parasite. And the cure is the same .... remove them from the body by whatever means are necessary. Sooner is better.

If the world really wants peace, there's only one way to accomplish it -- remove the damn gangster governments that are holding the world, and their citizens, hostage.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 05:45 PM
link   

superman2012
I don't think they put much stock in the citizens that they are supposed to represent. I would hate to be in office when the masses show up with pitchforks.

Roger that.

But I would give anything to be a fly on the wall with 1080P recording gear when the bad guys and girls get run thru with those pitchforks.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 06:45 PM
link   

superman2012

I agree. It almost seemed like the US government was actively looking for a war with someone, anyone.

Hey - don't forget the torches!

Where's Keith Olbermann when you need him?

Love him or hate him - the "Pitchforks & Torches" segment was the best part of his show and always entertaining.

And to your point - I think we're a lot closer to that than many people realize....but you can bet there's a large element of our gov't that knows it.

And that's where it gets scary...

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Children are our future
www.youtube.com/watch?v=55476dCgSsw
www.youtube.com...

The Children.....

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   
The Zionist lobby really is pretty powerful eh? Getting the former head of the CIA? Of course AIPAC and the like, they get all of the top name entertainment. My hat's off to them.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Enough all ready with the nasty talk Mr. Pancetta, we need more peace in this world not violence. Leave the Persians alone.

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   

I have been looking at the issue trying to see it from the view point of the large weapons manufacturers. A war against an opponent with even half decent weapons would see a lot of US tech destroyed. While the US has a lot of older tech such as F16 / F18 aircraft it has much smaller numbers of stealth tech.

If you loose a sizable number of the old tech, you have to replace them with something.

As an aside, what ever happened to all of Iraq's gold reserves and art treasures. Where is the money from more than a decade of taking Iraq's oil! You would think that it should have appeared in the income column on US debt!

P

(post by stirling removed for a serious terms and conditions violation)

posted on Nov, 2 2013 @ 08:23 PM
link   
And the military will STILL have to shoot him down.
What can that Army do with 2 deployable brigades?
Make JSOC carry the ball? Lean on the Marines? Just bombing would be a worse mess than bombing Syria with less results,unless you use a nuke.

posted on Nov, 3 2013 @ 01:32 AM
link   

pheonix358

As an aside, what ever happened to all of Iraq's gold reserves and art treasures. Where is the money from more than a decade of taking Iraq's oil! You would think that it should have appeared in the income column on US debt!

P

I am guessing all that Iraqi money and gold is sitting in the same places as Libya's money and gold.

As Father Ted would say, "it was just resting in my account".

posted on Nov, 4 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Id say if it is indeed gone the little guy would never see it.They have folks in place who are good at that sort of thing,hiding riches.
As to a war We have to rebuild the force or have a draft ,please note the push on women in combat that way they can perform a population control by putting females into the mix so they can be killed,throw in the feminizing of the young men and that will be a control measure as well.
The current brass is denying them Iran so they want to go after China.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join